close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ride your bike!

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by mac66, May 11, 2012.

1. mac66

mac66
    Expand Collapse
    Huge Member
    Millennium Member

Hey, get your bike out and ride that thing. I've been on a diet for the last 5 weeks (lost 26 pounds so far) and have been riding my bike (Specialized Explorer) when ever I can. I am the fastest fat guy on the block (6'2" 274) down from 300lbs. I rode 15.5 miles today, 22 miles yesterday, 26 miles the day before and 14.7 the day before that. Trying to build up for a 178 mile bug out on my bike for late summer.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 mac66, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  2. Stevekozak

Stevekozak
    Expand Collapse
    Returning video

Well, good for you to getting in shape and making your life better!! We all need to do that. Bikes hurt my uhm...stuff, so I don't ride anymore. I was in great shape when I did though. Well except for my aching..uhm.. stuff.

3. NMG26

NMG26
    Expand Collapse

Yup, I've been riding everyday for 8 years now. I don't ride excessively. Just to work and back, mostly. It is one of the healthiest choices I have made in my life.

4. wrenrj1

wrenrj1
    Expand Collapse

Good for you! I'm 32 lbs. down so far this year on a low carb/ walking and minor running regimen (I hate running). Fitbit has been a great help.

www.fitbit.com

5. Taphius

Taphius
    Expand Collapse

Got my bikesdirect (gravity liberty 1) bike on the 2th, only have ridden about 40 miles or so since I got it but im enjoying it. Much better than my heavy mtb for scooting along the road paths.

6. kimo

kimo
    Expand Collapse

I have a streetstrider...an elliptical that you take on the road. 2 months, 69 pounds. 55 more to go.

I haven't been lifting at all and notice significant strength loss so I have to start that. Too much cardio can make you lose in a lot of ways.

7. Hour13

Hour13
    Expand Collapse
    Tah-dah!

Well ok, but I'm lazy...
    [​IMG]
    :animlol:

Seriously, congrats on dropping that weight OP!
    :thumbsup:

8. Akita

Akita
    Expand Collapse
    gone

When the bugs come out in force, I stop hiking the woods for fun and mtn bike them instead. Gary Fisher here.

9. Jake514

Jake514
    Expand Collapse

Congrats and great job on losing the weight and getting in better shape. I am the original owner of an old Fuji bike I got about 30 years ago and ride occasionally but have been riding more in the last few weeks.

In fact, I think I will be going out for a quick 15 miles tonight.

#9 Jake514, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  10. UneasyRider

UneasyRider
    Expand Collapse
    C.D.B.

I bought a couple of Trek Navigator 3.0's a couple of weeks ago to move my eliptical machine training outside. What a great idea! I love riding and I found a bike that my lower back can live with too.

Since we are talking about weight... I started dieting at New Years and had lost 15 pounds in the first 3 months then I got stuck. So I sucked it up and joined weight watchers and in my first 2 weeks I lost 2.2 and 3.2 pounds each! I am a new guy to the WW program but I follow instructions very well so I am hoping to keep losing ANY amount of weight, but I am working towards 195 which is 40 more, I am 6'3" so I'm not as fat as it sounds.

11. FireForged

FireForged
    Expand Collapse
    Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

Dig'n the 5 liter fox body stang!

12. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I personally find that the risk of being seriously injured or killed by a motorized vehicle is too high.

Part of this, of course, has to do with the roads, etc, that you use. On my roads...definitely not going out on a bike.

Just make sure you wear the vest for visibility!

13. wrenrj1

wrenrj1
    Expand Collapse

Only took to post #7...Here's my new ride 2012 KLR 650. It's exercise just getting on the beast...

[​IMG]

14. leeward419

leeward419
    Expand Collapse

Merlin, GT and Paramount here, when Im not at the range, im either at work or riding;
    best thing I bought recently was cycleops trainer for winter and those days where its raining to hard to ride
    Good luck and enjoy

PS Wrenj1
    Like your Kawasaki, dont know why, but I stopped at the Kawasaki Dealer last week to look at a ninja, but the onroad/offroad caught my eye.........wife is not enthused...but well see! Nice bike man!!

#14 leeward419, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
  15. pugman

pugman
    Expand Collapse

If you have dropped 26#'s in 5 weeks you are definitely hitting the bike.

I've been training for a Tough Mudder coming up in September and have been going to the gym 4-6 times a week since October. On my Cardio days (Rule #1) I burn anywhere from 1000-1500 calories per the machine. I would never had described myself as fat but I am short. I was 5'7 and about 195#. Now I'm about 185 but muscle weighs more than fat

Since you describe yourself as fat want to know a little secret?

Keep up what you are doing now and you can pretty much eat whatever you want. At 42, my metabolism has definitely increased. Of all my vitals during my physical a few weeks ago (bp, cholosterol, sodium, etc) the only one not in the "where we want you to be" zone was my sodium since I'm sweating like a pig. A homemade Gatorade mix will fix that.

Watch Doomsday preppers and you notice few if any of these people have any sort of workout regiment. If the world ends tomorrow, no problem with a little extra fat on you...but some of those folks are taking that to the extreme.

#15 pugman, May 13, 2012
  16. Hour13

Hour13
    Expand Collapse
    Tah-dah!

Thanks man! :thumbsup: That one doesn't get out much. Lol, my need to drive it is in a constant battle with my desire to NOT let it hit 100K miles. Sitting at about 96K right now though, so it's only a matter of time...

:crying:

17. Babynine

Babynine
    Expand Collapse

A couple months ago I was watching some Kifaru vids on thier YouTube channel "KifaruTube" and saw they were using mountain bikes with single-wheeled trailers with active coil suspension. The bike trailers handled weight very well off-road and bounced around very little with HUGE loaded packs in them.

I did a little looking around and the trailers are actually named the "Bob Ibex" and are sold at REI. They appear quite amazing in downhill mountain biking action, but Im too dumb to post links. I have never seen them in person, but if they work for the Kifaru guys....

18. gimmejr

gimmejr
    Expand Collapse

Went biking yesterday, go a flat towards the end and walked the last 1.5 home. Need to buy a repair kit this week, same thing happened to me last year while riding.

19. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

I'm more a dirt guy, but I have some road bikes too.

Some of the gun folks can't appreciate bicycles, but they are missing out.

[​IMG]

20. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla
    Expand Collapse

http://www.rei.com/product/722506/bob-ibex-plus-fs-trailer

#20 humanguerrilla, May 13, 2012