close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

rice in barrel question

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by nightwolf1974, Apr 30, 2012.

1. nightwolf1974

nightwolf1974

May 20, 2006
    NH
    Does anyone know how much uncooked white long grain rice can be stored in a 55 gallon barrel? (without a bags, boxes, or any other thing in the barrel?)

2. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    I would guesstimate about 55 gallons of rice would fit.

Kidding. Probably about 400 lbs.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

3. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    1 U.S. ''legal'' cup = 240 ml
    1 cup of rice ~ 7200 grains of rice

Now, how many cups in 55 gallons?
    Oh, and I forgot:

Depends on the variety. Short grain rice encompasses a number of sizes. Fill up an small (like 10 ml) volume with rice. Then count the grains and divide that it into 10 ml to determine the size of one grain

There are all kinds of rice, of course.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  4. wuvmyglock

wuvmyglock

May 20, 2010
  5. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    Once you open the barrel you have a lot of rice to protect until you eat it, wouldn't 5 or 6 gallon buckets be better?

6. dcc12

dcc12

Nov 30, 2010
    I have no idea of how much rice would fit in a 55gal barrel. But to gain some perspective go to a Korean grocery and look at the pallets of rice in 10/20/and 50 lb bags. I am looking at a 20lb bag that is about 24"tallX12"wideX3"thick. Im thinking I could put several of these bags in a 55gal barrel. But I think you would be much better keeping it sealed in smaller containers.

7. gosnmic

gosnmic Re:member

Aug 27, 2004
    Missouri
    That's about right math-wise! ... I recall putting 100# of SAM's white rice in 3 5gal buckets (33 - 35 pounds seems spot on). So somewhere between 350-400 pounds should be where you end up if you're going into a 55-gal.

Would be interesting to see a 55-gal filled with rice :supergrin:

8. Protus

Protus

Apr 6, 2008

if packed in mylar bags you can fit 350lbs in a 55 gallon screw top barrel.If you packed in smaller bag or just poured it in ,im sure you could get it closer to the 400lb mark. as with the bags it leaves gaps. The trick is put them in before the bags suck down( get hard) so its pack the bag, dump it in,,squish it down.
    Moving them is what gets interesting:whistling:

9. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    People, any S&Per should know that there is 2 1/2 cups in a pound of uncooked white rice.

16 cups in a gallon

16 x 55 = 880 cups of rice in a 55 gallon drum

880 / 2.5 = 352 pounds of rice in a 55 gallon drum

10. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    6 bags of rice from Sams at 50 pounds each fill 8 five gallon buckets to the brim.

11. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Pack water in 55ga drums.Unless you package rice in small use/4 servings per pack,you'll lose some potential food due ta air ect.'08.

12. nightwolf1974

nightwolf1974

May 20, 2006
    NH
    i asked because a friend in town just bought some plastic 55 gallon barrels for food storage. he asked me about how much rice could be loosly stored in one. i feel leaving them in the bags you bought them in AND then putting those bags into the barrels was a better solution.

13. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
  14. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Exactly. :thumbsup:

Nightwolf1974 - at the very least, you might consider a single, large mylar bag in the barrel. That would help considerably with moisture, oxygenation, light, and potentially rodent infestation, since plastic drums don't completely prevent passage of light, air, humidity, and smell. They can be had for $10-$20 apiece (less if you're willing to buy 20), and imo would make a HUGE difference in the protection and longevity of the barrel-stored rice. O2 absorbers would also be a huge benefit imo; but sounds like you may not want to put that much 'into' it.

15. Akita

Akita gone

Jul 22, 2002
    I can confirm that its 35#/5 gallon bucket. So you can math-up from there. Hope that helps.

16. Commander_Zero

Commander_Zero

Sep 3, 2007
    MT
    However much rice you can store in bulk in a 55 gallon drum, doing it that way might be a bad idea. If there's any contamination (insect, chemical, moisture, whatever) then the entire drum is ruined. Better to fill the drum with sealed individual packages...maybe a series of 5# sealed "bricks" of rice and trade a little storage space for peace of mind. This way, if some nasties got into your rice they don't ruin the whole drum full.

17. R_W

R_W

Nov 8, 2007
    They make sense if you want to store a LOT. I would use metal drums and dry ice or welding shield gas as O2 displacement.

18. i thought about this as well. i may eventually do this but for now, i have a wider variety of goods packed into 1 gallon mylar bags and placed in a steel 55 gallon lined drum with a bolt band on it. i have 1 per person in my family.

i see this as more of a larger long term storage idea like a grain silo for the average person. i will eventually fill a few with wheat, corn and rice but thats in addition to the 1 gallon bags and 5 gallon buckets i already have in place. to me, the steel drums with liners make me feel better about the possibility of rodents getting into my food. i have seen mice chew through plastic before and its almost exploratory, nut im sure their sense of smell is much better than mine. the steel drums dont allow that.