close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

RIA feed problems

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by GREY-GHOST, Jan 3, 2011.

1. GREY-GHOST

GREY-GHOST

Sep 29, 2009
    Florida
    I have a RIA GI that I have ran just over 100 rounds through. I have found that even with ball ammo, the first round will dive into the feed ramp and not chamber if I pull the slide back to chamber. If I release the slide lock, it will usually chamber, but sometimes it won't. This happens when the mag is full. If I run 4-5 rounds in the mag, I don't have any problems.

I called RIA and they told me to run 500 rounds through for break in, running only 5rds at a time in the mag. I have read on here where some people run the same pistol out of the box with zero problems.

I found similar threads on other sites where the mag was to blame. A Wilson 47 d or mccormick mags fixed the problem. Others said to polish the feed ramp.

Has anyone on here had these problems or know what's going on?

btw I'm using the stock ACT mag.

2. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    Sounds like a mag problem.

Try a Checkmate G.I. spec mag.

3. ACT mags are some of the best mags you can buy IMO. Those and mec gar are great! I do like mccormick shooting stars also!!

Alex

4. glock21xxx

glock21xxx

Apr 10, 2009
    I switched to the CM mags and never had an issue at the range. HP's are a different story :/

5. I havent had a problem with either of my RIA's feeding with any mags i put in them....

Alex

6. BeckG19

BeckG19

Oct 6, 2010
    Carlsbad CA
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  7. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    Sometimes a 1911 can be mag/follower choosy. I've never had a problem with any mag except some Wilson Officer sized mags in my Kimber UCII, yep Wilson Combat was a mag it did not like so its not always the answer. Kimpro Tac, Act, Metalform, Wilson Combat Elite and 47D, Colt factory, WWII Colt, etc I've had zero problems with. Try a quality mag and if it works, stick with it but don't hesitate to try other options.

8. TKR Reptiles

TKR Reptiles Thread Killer

Oct 19, 2010
    Norman, OK
    I had that issue with mine when I first got it... I tried a different mag in it and it worked great... I called Armscor and they sent me a new mag out and it fixed it all... Some times the mags come PACKED in grease, and just need a good cleaning...

9. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    I always take my Dremel with the bullet head and some rouge and polish the feed ramp on any semi-auto that I buy. I'll normally do the under part of the slide where it rides the hammer and the hammer too just to slick things up a bit.
    1911a1's can be mag picky so I'd try a few other mags, maybe a Pro Mag or Mec Gar before you do much else.

10. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

A dremel to the feed ramp of a 1911 is probably one of the single worst things an amatuer could do.

11. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    Notice that I said use the soft bullet tip with rouge just to polish it, don't use the sanding drums. You're just shinning it up here, not taking off any metal. I've owned around 8 1911a1 style guns and did it to all of em' and never had a problem with HPs or SWC's.

12. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    :supergrin:

13. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Kansas
    Your mag spring has too much tension right now because it's new. Leave it fully loaded for a while so the spring can take its set. DON'T cut any coils ! Use different mags that are broken in and your issue should disappear.

14. GREY-GHOST

GREY-GHOST

Sep 29, 2009
    Florida
    Thanks for the help. I'll try a different mag and see what happens.