close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

RIA 9mm purchased, And Some Input Needed

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Magus, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Magus

Magus
    Expand Collapse
    Deo Vindice

Picked up a RIA 9mm today. I've owned many 1911's over the years, all in .45 though, this is my first 9mm in this platform. Always wanted one, and now I have it. :supergrin:

The pistol itself is pretty well put together for what it is. Should also note this is my first Rock Island...not bad...not bad at all...pretty impressive for the price tag.

The one supplied mag is made by Checkmate and I'm having a minor issue with it. It's supposed to hold 9 rounds, but the max I can get into it is 7. No matter how much force I put behind it, I can only get 7 in. Just wondering if this is normal for 9mm mags, or if it's an issue of Checkmate mags....I really don't have a clue on this one. Perhaps I should just load the 7 and let it sit to loosen up a bit?

I have not shot it yet. Probably going to wait until I can at least get a couple more mags first. My concern being if I go shoot it now with just one questionable mag I can't eliminate certain variables if it were to have feeding issues....such as the supplied mag for example.

Any recommendations for 9mm 1911 mags?

At any rate, here's a few somewhat crappy pics. I'll try to get some better ones up. My camera battery was running low and I had to rush. Bone stock except for the VZ grips I put on it. The stock wood grips on the RIA's are kinda fugly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Magus, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  2. Quack

Quack
    Expand Collapse
    Rent this space

i've never had problems loading the full capacity on Springfield/Metalform or Wilson 9mm mags. also another recommended mag is the Tripp Cobra mags.

3. Magus

Magus
    Expand Collapse
    Deo Vindice

From a few other things I've been reading, I think I'd be in better shape in investing in any of the brands you mentioned. My dealer actually recommended the Tripp Cobra's, think I'll probably put those at the top of the list since you're now the second person to recommend them.

The fact that it only came with one supplied mag kinda sucks. I really don't want to bother shooting it until I can get a few different mags to try out. The gun itself seems really well put together though. The Checkmate mag though really leaves a lot to be desired.

#3 Magus, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  4. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348
    Expand Collapse
    Happy Member

sexy pistol, go shoot it!!

5. Liquid

Liquid
    Expand Collapse

from what i have read they are great guns for the price. i was looking at one myself. have you decided what grips to get? i think a nice set of black ones would look good.

6. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Congrats! :cool:

I love my RIA.

7. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

Is the RIA a ramped barrel?

I'm using Tripp mags for my Spartan, had issues with my shortish OAL reloads but ironed them out.

#7 Boxerglocker, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  8. Wade-19

Wade-19
    Expand Collapse

The RIA does not have a ramped barrel. To the OP, I am surprised that you can only get 7 rounds in the factory mag. I was able to get 10 in mine even though it is rated as a 9 round mag. Unfortunately, my 9mm Tactical was not as great as everyone elses seem to be so it went bye-bye.

9. MD357

MD357
    Expand Collapse

+1 to buying some better mags, Wilson, Tripp, Metalform....

10. Magus

Magus
    Expand Collapse
    Deo Vindice

I let the mag sit overnight in the gun with 7 in. Its loosened up some now, I can get 8 in and can nearly get 9 in. Will just continue to let it sit for now and hopefully loosen up more.

New mags are definitely a priority for this one.

May just go shoot it today anyway. I'll just disregard any feeding issues if I have any for the moment until I get more mags. This thing just seems like it's going to be a lot of fun to shoot.

11. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

Tripp. They run great in my 9mm Trojan.

12. 1006

Expand Collapse

I would take the mag apart and see if there is something in the mag causing it to jam up.

13. Wade-19

Wade-19
    Expand Collapse

My 9mm Rock had feeding issues with all the mags I had on hand. I had the factory mag, Wilson ETM, Kimber, and Metalform mags. They all worked great in my Kimber and my Guardian 9mm.

14. Magus

Magus
    Expand Collapse
    Deo Vindice

All 9 rounds now in the mag. Wasn't easy, but I guess the spring was particularly stiff and needed time to loosen up a bit. Much easier now. Still going to order several new mags though.

#14 Magus, Nov 28, 2010
  15. Magus

Magus
    Expand Collapse
    Deo Vindice

Not extremely worried about feeding issues with this. If mine performs without issue out of box, then that will be an added bonus. Really just looking at using this as a range gun unless it proves/shows itself to be more than that. Even if it has issues, I'm not worried, the 1911 platform is one I'm pretty handy with....I'll get it to work 100% if it doesn't at first.

Love 1911's, but I'm on a budget and you'll go broke quick shooting .45ACP. For me, 9mm is far more economical. Wasn't looking for a .22 conversion, they're hit or miss for the most part. This is something I can go out and plink with and not break the bank. Sadly probably won't get to go fire it until next weekend though.

#15 Magus, Nov 28, 2010
  16. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe
    Expand Collapse
    you savvy?

never heard of "check-mate" mags, seems to be a knock off of sorts....if you have mag problems like that in the future, disassemble the mag and inspect it. the spring may be in wrong, there could be something binding, the follower might not be seated correctly.....id gladly trade my 5" RIA .45acp for a 9mm version.

#16 cowboywannabe, Nov 28, 2010
  17. Liquid

Liquid
    Expand Collapse

18. Magus

Magus
    Expand Collapse
    Deo Vindice

Checkmate is the brand that ships with all RIA's at this point. According to one of their reps on another forum, it's the only brand they'll warranty in the gun as well just FYI.

It's my first experience with Checkmate's first hand, can't say its been positive....I'm not impressed. I've heard of them before having been around 1911's for years now and the quality on their mags has pretty much always been hit or miss from everything I've ever heard. Better brands out there for sure.

Can't complain too much though. For what this RIA is, the pistol itself it put together pretty well, the one supplied mag though is kinda crap.

19. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe
    Expand Collapse
    you savvy?

first it was Novak mags, then Atc mags...then some other brand....now "check-mate"......why dont they just get a reputable magazine and stay with it?

20. 1006

Expand Collapse

All of the above mentioned mags enjoy a good reputation.