Glock Talk banner

RIA 10mm on the way!

8K views 57 replies 11 participants last post by  4949shooter 
#1 · (Edited)
I joined SigFTW and landed one of the new Rock Island 10mm's. :cool: CTD's ordering process was a PITA but it's done and the order is processed. Can't wait to see this baby. Ordered some ammo from Underwood too boot. My first time dealing with Underwood and was very pleased. Seems like a quality operation. Pics and range report to follow sometime after the gun lands. :supergrin:

Some website pics, but it won't look like this for long...:whistling::cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
I joined SigFTW and landed one of the new Rock Island 10mm's. :cool: CTD's ordering process was a PITA but it's done and the order is processed. Can't wait to see this baby. Order some ammo from Underwood too boot. My first time dealing with Underwood and was very pleased. Seems like a quality operation. Pics and range report to follow sometime after the gun lands. :supergrin:

Some website pics, but it won't look like this for long...:whistling::cool:
Contrasts!!!!! I was thinking about buying some Underwood for self-defense rounds, let me know how you like the round.

You can't leave guns stock can you:tongueout: just don't refinish it pink:tongueout:

#3 ·
Contrasts!!!!! I was thinking about buying some Underwood for self-defense rounds, let me know how you like the round.

You can't leave guns stock can you:tongueout: just don't refinish it pink:tongueout:
The guy at Underwood said it was comparable, but in his opinion, just a tad hotter than Double Tap. And no, not too many guns I leave as is. :cool:

#6 ·
After more looking at range reports and reviews on these, on other forums, I called CTD this morning and cancelled my order. Every review has feeding issues and several complain about poorly fit and made parts. I had already planned on spending money on it to make it look better, but am not willing to start spending money to make it run right. CTD did say that they are not a special run gun, so maybe after Armscor gets the bugs worked out, I'll pick one up. LOVE the idea of a bull barrelled 1911 in 10mm, and for a decent price, but between getting it to run right and look the way I want, I could end up having close to 2K in it. I may have acted too fast, but after I see better reviews, I can always change my mind...again.

#7 ·
After more looking at range reports and reviews on these, on other forums, I called CTD this morning and cancelled my order. Every review has feeding issues and several complain about poorly fit and made parts. I had already planned on spending money on it to make it look better, but am not willing to start spending money to make it run right. CTD did say that they are not a special run gun, so maybe after Armscor gets the bugs worked out, I'll pick one up. LOVE the idea of a bull barrelled 1911 in 10mm, and for a decent price, but between getting it to run right and look the way I want, I could end up having close to 2K in it. I may have acted too fast, but after I see better reviews, I can always change my mind...again.
For what you wanted to do I would wait also until they run 100%. I will tinker with mine and should get it 100% with some minor mods.

#8 ·
I hope they don't get a bad rap before really getting out. Here is the reasoning.

I have several 10mm's and most have ran fine right out of the box. All except my most expensive one... Dan Wesson Razoback 1911. First time I took it to the range it locked up solid into the first magazine. No amount of hitting on it would free it! I had to strip it down and hand work it with heavy grease and a rubber mallet to get it going. Litterly that day though I wanted to throw it down the range and cussed up a storm!
Next visit it ran like a top and after changing to the 22lb spring it is the most accurate 10mm I own plus runs anything. The feed ramp looks a little rough so it appears it needs some polish and rounding of rough spots. It's been stated it's undersprung (anyone find out what it comes with?). I bet with a little work this one will prove out just fine. Keep in mind 10mm's are extremely fast slide velocity and will need some tweaking. A good test to see where they are is Remington 180gr and from there move to Underwood or PBR when they test out with a spring.

#10 ·
Just for the record, I don't want anyone to think I am poo pooing the Rock 10. I had custom plans, that were mostly cosmetic and did not want to risk getting too much money tied up in this gun to get it running right, just in case it didn't. Nothing major has been said as to these being problem guns. I have a few irons in the fire right now, gun/project wise and had set a budget on this gun that I really didn't want to exceed. If they prove to be fine, which I am sure they will, then I will jump back on board and proceed with the original plan. My other RIA's have been great guns, especially for the money and this gun, IMO, is the coolest 1911 I've seen come out from them.

#13 ·
Joe,

How about when you buy Champagne like I did and right out of the box it's a paper-weight?

To pass judgement on a pistol that just come out, is tight and maybe a little rough around the edges is nuts. It's not going to be a $1000 plus 1911 but can possibly be a great shooter with a little work. If all it needs is some feed ramp work and a spring plus break-in... hell of a deal!

#14 ·
Just got off the phone with a RIA Gun smith, he is the main 10mm GS, very nice fellow. The 10mm CTD is an early(CTD only) release production, he said what I have is a 2013 production model. These will be release next year.

I talked to him about the 2 FTFs and how the spring feels too light. He said the 10mm comes with a 14lb recoil spring and should not need anything heavier unless you are shooting stout loads, he also said the 10mm can handle +p loads. I gave him my load data and he recommended the wolf 16lb recoil spring. He said that he did experiment with a wolf 16 lb recoil spring and it worked fine but for lower loads it could cause some issues. He feels that this should take care of my issue and will mail me a 16lb wolf spring for free. What a nice guy.

I'll keep you posted when it comes in.:supergrin:

#15 ·
Joe,

How about when you buy Champagne like I did and right out of the box it's a paper-weight?

To pass judgement on a pistol that just come out, is tight and maybe a little rough around the edges is nuts. It's not going to be a $1000 plus 1911 but can possibly be a great shooter with a little work. If all it needs is some feed ramp work and a spring plus break-in... hell of a deal!
I don't guess you read my post above. I know what a Rock Island is. And I don't expect perfection out of the box with one. I have explained, in pretty good detail, or so I thought, what my intentions for this gun were. And that I did not want to take a chance on having to spend any extra money on getting it to run right, should that need arise. These are new for Armscor and I think that buying one later on down the road will work better for MY intentions and purposes. I agree with you that they are a hell of a deal. Why do you think I ordered one within days of them becoming available?

#16 · (Edited)
Just got off the phone with a RIA Gun smith, he is the main 10mm GS, very nice fellow. The 10mm CTD is an early(CTD only) release production, he said what I have is a 2013 production model. These will be release next year.

I talked to him about the 2 FTFs and how the spring feels too light. He said the 10mm comes with a 14lb recoil spring and should not need anything heavier unless you are shooting stout loads, he also said the 10mm can handle +p loads. I gave him my load data and he recommended the wolf 16lb recoil spring. He said that he did experiment with a wolf 16 lb recoil spring and it worked fine but for lower loads it could cause some issues. He feels that this should take care of my issue and will mail me a 16lb wolf spring for free. What a nice guy.

I'll keep you posted when it comes in.:supergrin:
I don't know, but 14 lbs seem light to me even if it has a bull barrel to slow unlocking. Maybe he thought you were talking about the 9MM as 14 lbs would be right for it.

#18 ·
I don't know, but 14 lbs seem light to me even if it has a bull barrel to slow unlocking. Maybe he thought you were talking about the 9MM as 14 lbs would be right for it.
We where talking about the 10mm because I question him about the spring being too light, that's when he said he had experimented with the 14 and 16lb springs on the new RIA 10mm and the 14lb would work great for low pressure target loads. There is no reason in my mind to shoot a 10mm with bunny fart loads, I would just go back to a 40 cal for that:faint:.The 10mm is designed for 1000+fps depending on the bullet gr.

It would be like having a corvette with a 125hp motor:tongueout:

#19 ·
Seems all the other 10mm manufacturers use between 20 & 24
pound springs.
Sounds like RIA has their head up their azz!
I think they don't fully understand the power of the10mm :dunno: however, they are willing to help fix the issue. I will try the 16lb and see how it runs before I go any heaver. If I do need to go heavier I'll call them back up.

You can drink beer on a champagne budget and it doesn't bother you when you spill it:tongueout:

#20 ·
There is no reason in my mind to shoot a 10mm with bunny fart loads, I would just go back to a 40 cal for that:faint:.The 10mm is designed for 1000+fps depending on the bullet gr.

It would be like having a corvette with a 125hp motor:tongueout:
:rofl: Good one. :cool:

#21 ·
Seems all the other 10mm manufacturers use between 20 & 24
pound springs.
Sounds like RIA has their head up their azz!
'Tis the season and 'tis the reason I pulled my order. I like Armscor and they will work these bugs out. And as soon as they get it straightened out, to where I don't have to experiment on my own, with trial and error and waste my time, as well as my money, on ammo and springs and whatnot, which is their job to do in the first place, then I'll order another one. :cool:

#22 ·
Feed ramp and springs usually and rightfully fall on the shooter. RIA should have put a 20lb minimum in there like others and 16 is still way light. I have 22lb springs in all mine and they shoot it all just fine.

If someone buys it with intentions of turning it into something it isn't bad move. Buy the one that IS THAT from jump. The cost is going to be about the same.

#23 ·
If someone buys it with intentions of turning it into something it isn't bad move. Buy the one that IS THAT from jump. The cost is going to be about the same.
How 'bout you do your thing and I'll do mine. I customize most of my guns to MY liking.

#24 ·
I did/done already have but I don't complain about those things. I don't buy a lower end model and then complain about changing things to get it there. It's like buying a Delta Elite knowing the barrel needs changed to run strong 10mm in it then complaining. Just get the one with the good barrel out of the box. Just my .003.

#25 ·
I did/done already have but I don't complain about those things. I don't buy a lower end model and then complain about changing things to get it there. It's like buying a Delta Elite knowing the barrel needs changed to run strong 10mm in it then complaining. Just get the one with the good barrel out of the box. Just my .003.
I want you to try and point out where I've "complained" about anything. Your "point", if that's what you are attempting to make, is worth about .003. So, you're saying that taking a cheap 1911, like a RIA, SA GI/Mil-Spec, etc., and building them up/customizing, whatever you want to call is "complaining"? :rofl:You got a LOT to learn and a LOOOONG way to go.

#26 ·
I want you to try and point out where I've "complained" about anything. Your "point", if that's what you are attempting to make, is worth about .003. So, you're saying that taking a cheap 1911, like a RIA, SA GI/Mil-Spec, etc., and building them up/customizing, whatever you want to call is "complaining"? :rofl:You got a LOT to learn and a LOOOONG way to go.

I did not see any complaining from you Joe. I completely understand where you are coming from. :thumbsup:

I did start filing down the edge on the barrel, just enough to knock down the sharp corner. This will make for a smother loading.:supergrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.