close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

rheumatoid arthritis..?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by K.Kiser, Jun 15, 2012.

1. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Anybody here have it... I've been having a pretty good bit of feet trouble for a several years and hand trouble for a few years now that I chalked up to poor shoes when I used to jog, and the hand trouble to working all my life... I'm starting to wonder now, because I shouldn't be in this kind of discomfort at my age (35)... Lots of finger joint pain, and what at least seems like fragile connective tissue which makes my fingers always feel sprained from any accidental side pressures..

Looking at a googled list of RA symptoms they seem very familiar... Any input out there..?

Thanks in advance...

2. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

Yes I have it pretty bad. Started out with fingers and toes hurting, then every joint in my body. I got to the point where the pain was so bad I felt like I was being crushed. Went to emergency room, they told me I had RA , gave me a pain shot and sent me home. By the time I got there I was hurting again. Next day I went to the doctor and he gave me two cortisone shots in the hip and a prescription for Prednisone. By the time I got home my body finally relaxed. Stayed on the Prednisone too long and got some bone damage. Finally seen a rhuematologist and got put on Methotrexate, Hydroxicloriquine and Remicade infusions before it finally got under control. I lost my knees in no time and had them replaced. Still have trouble with the replacements. Been fun.

3. nursetim

nursetim

There are blood tests that can help your Dr. Diagnos RA along with a good history. ANA and sedimentation rate will show inflammation, but they are not specific. A test called an anti-ccp might be helpful, ask your doctor.

4. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

I made an appt. today with a rheumatologists, I'll get it seen about in 11 days from now..

5. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

There are various degrees of RA. Some people with mild RA can get by without a prescription. Usually they will start you out with Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil, Quineprox), then Methotrexate and if that don't work, Remicade or Humira. Good luck!

6. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

^ Thank you sir... At this point 200mg of Ibuprofen 4 times a day makes me feel mostly better after it has absorbed over a few day, but I feel like I need a total eval. to make sure of what's causing this be it RA or otherwise so I can either quit meds or get on what's right... Thanks again, and I wish you the best with your RA..

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  7. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

If the ibuprofen is working well then chances are it's reducing the inflammatory response from your body. It worked for me until my stomach decided it didn't like it, since then I've switched to aleve which does help quite a bit in addition to vicodin. I've got arthritic damage caused by Lyme disease and not RA(but they did mis-diagnose me as having juvenile RA) so the treatments are similar but different. Good luck and feel better!

8. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I know two people who were practically crippled by RA who have had AMAZING results from IViG. It's not a first line treatment, and it runs about $25-35K every four weeks but I cannot describe how amazing the results were for both of these men. There are groups that say IViG works and some who say they don't..with the two men I know, they have had their entire lives changed by it.

9. IGotIt

IGotIt No Demlibtards

I was diagnosed back in 97 and like Magnus2131, I'm on plaquenil, methotrexate, and have remicade infusions every 8 weeks. I have a scrip for prednisone too, but my doctor tells me not to take it unless the inflammation and swelling is so bad and it's not time for the remicade treatment.

xrays have shown some bone loss in the baby fingers on both hands and the last two toes on my left foot. The quicker one is diagnosed with the disease and gets on medication, the easier it will be to manage it.

10. ncObserver

ncObserver

Diagnosed in Feb '10 with both.

First flare started in my shoulders...grew to ALL of my joints.

Since then fatigue has become the most pressing problem. Just taking a shower puts me back in bed.

The only way I can describe it right now is that it feels like the worse hangover I've ever had...ON A DAILY BASIS...EVERY SECOND OF EVERY DAY.

And, don't get me started on the nausea...

11. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

There is also such a thing as seronegative RA. A good rheumatologist is a must!

Eta: my son has JRA and as had insanely amazingly good results with Enbrel.

12. silentpoet

silentpoet

It runs in my family. I am beginning to wonder if I am starting down that path.

13. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

Had to get some Adderall recently just to function. Never attributed my daily nausea to my RA but could be.

14. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

Have a sister and brother that also have it.

15. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

Best of luck brother. I hope it's minor and can be treated with NSAIDs.

16. Kevin108

Kevin108 file_id.diz

I was diagnosed at 12. I'll be 32 this year. My sister was diagnosed at 2. She just turned 29. Whatever you do, keep your activity level up. Keeping yourself moving is the secret to learning to live with this stuff.

17. jpa

jpa CLM

I have a good friend who has RA. She had a baby last May and she was one of the 20% of pregnant women whose RA didn't get better while she was pregnant. She just started infusions of Remicade last month, she's got a whole slew of pills she takes every day for this and other stuff. She's starting to get some joint deformities in her hands and feet.

Not something I wish on anyone, good luck.

18. hkg3

hkg3 Beer Geek

I have Psoriatic Arthritis which also an autoimmune condition with very similar symptoms and mechanisms to RA.

I completely agree with the others who have directed you to a rheumatologist. I currently take Methotrexate (MTX) but I cannot use the TNF blockers (Embrel, Humira, or Remicade) due to another condition, Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT). The anti-TNF monoclonal antibodies can work wonders for those who can take them, but these could lead to paralysis for people with CMT as they can accelerate the nerve degeneration.

The MTX does help keep my flares to much less severe levels than without. I have another appoitntment with my rheumatologist to discuss my treatment options in Jully. There have been some moments before going on MTX where I just wanted knock myself out to avoid the pain.

Irronically, I am an immunologist and understand many of the mechanisms associated with these diseases. One of the big pharma companies (Pfizer) is in phase III with a JAK kinase inhibitor that has shown excellent results for Psoriasis, RA, and PA. This new drug would be oral rather than injected and should have a pretty good safety profile. Personally, I cannot wait!

Best of luck with to those with RA and PA,

Mike (Molecular biologist / Immunologist)

19. Kevin108

Kevin108 file_id.diz

Enbrel works well for my arthritis but doesn't seem to help my psoriasis in the least. Neither of my conditions are bad, most of the time, but both have been awful in years past.

I have never felt worse than when on Methotrexate. I hope you are able to tolerate it better than me!

I'm very excited to hear your news about the possibility of a new medication as well.