close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Revolver recommendation

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by texan650, Sep 27, 2010.

1. texan650

texan650
    Expand Collapse

Mas,
    I am thinking of purchaising a 4" .38 special revolver for home defense, largely because my wife is not intimidated with the revolver vs. semi-automatic. I want to stay with the .38 special for ease of control. What is your opinion of the Taurus model 82? Is there another revolver you would recommed? Thanks in advance.

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob
    Expand Collapse
    KoolAidAntidote

I've seen folks get through IDPA matches just fine with Taurus revolvers and good .38 Special ammo. I recently taught an advanced course at a large gun club in Pennsylvania that teaches a great number of basic live-fire NRA courses. They got a great deal on traded in Taurus .38s from a security company and use them regularly, and they tell me they're standing up just fine.

I'm personally partial to one of the best deals of our time -- drying up, but still out there if you look -- trade-in S&W and Ruger .38 Specials. They tend to be very smooth and reliable, and there are lots of gunsmiths and armorers trained to keep them in top working order.

best of luck,
    Mas

3. texan650

texan650
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your input Mas. I will look a little harder for a used Smith and Wesson, but the ones that are affordable seem to be very well used in my area.