close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

revolver guys! what a pity...

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by antediluvianist, Feb 21, 2007.

1. antediluvianist

antediluvianist
    Expand Collapse

What a pity they didn't go ahead and make this. .357 mag/.38 special in a top-break revolver with auto ejection (can be turned off), as with most top-breaks, and a polymer grip.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg49-e.htm

Then again, how much .357 magnum hammering can a top-break take and still have a well-seated catch?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. horge

horge
    Expand Collapse
    -=-=-=-=-
    Lifetime Member

Durability aside, I'm wondering what real advantage a top-break
    .357 wheelgun has to offer, over swing-out cylinder designs.

Is that thing's 'automatic casing ejection' so big a deal?
    Nagtatanong lang po..

:)

3. antediluvianist

antediluvianist
    Expand Collapse

Only experience I've had with a break-top was a friend's .22 a long time ago. But I liked it. The cases get automatically tossed out when the top opens, so yes, it was faster to load, and no need to turn the gun. At the time, I was just loading chamber-by-chamber, but a loading with a speedloader should be faster than on a swing-sideways cylinder too. (Regular swing-out revolver = must manually push the ejector rod with thumb or some other finger while holding on to the gun, and for many non-Miculek people there is some moving around of the gun from horizontal to vertical and back. )

And also, a break-top is just cool (well, that's a matter of de gustibus non est disputandum.) Seen any of those "Zulu Dawn"-type movies showing the top-break Webleys?

4. Django

Django
    Expand Collapse

I remember my Dad's .38 Webley break top.

Nice gun but no tactical reloads for this gun though.

Once you break the top, it throws out everything in it's cylinder. And I mean everything. Shells and unfired cartridges included as well.

5. darwin25

darwin25
    Expand Collapse
    Make your move

Someone offered me a Webley .38 top break revolver in very good condition about 5 or 6 years ago. I just didn't buy it because I found out it was at that time recently been used to commit a crime

6. maskytrading

maskytrading
    Expand Collapse

7. antediluvianist

antediluvianist
    Expand Collapse

"Nice gun but no tactical reloads for this gun though."

That's true but only important if it is realistically envisioned that a tactical reload will ever be necessary.

I don't carry, and I live in an upper floor of a condominium so even home/condo defense is farfetched.

It would be cool for range firing, indoor and out; and it's just an interesting thing.

However, in .357 mag. it would still get hammered a lot so even with modern metallurgy for the catch, if I had one I'd stick to mostly .38s. "Zulu Dawn", man. "I say, Leftenant, aren't those tribesmen a bit too chipper this morning?. Mind the spear."

8. maskytrading

maskytrading
    Expand Collapse

For home defense, it is highly improbable that a shoot-out will ensue once you catch "climbers", like what happened to me in mid-80's...saw a "climber" trying to get in my ground floor bathroom from the dirty kitchen which was yet unbarred...called John B. to my side but opted to throw a chair at the door of my dirty kitchen instead..."parang palakang saging ang talon palabas" (English trans. Like a toad on steroids and speed jumping out of the box)...Maybe that's why 6 is more than enough for home defense...Any sound especially coming from the throat of S&W or John B will be so loud that it's "running time" for the "climbers"

Yes, full power .357 loads will loosen everything in a revolver, more so if you use it heavily at the range but you can always substitute .38spl for practice/plinking