close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Revolver as secondary weapon?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by fpgeek, Nov 18, 2011.

1. fpgeek

fpgeek

Nov 7, 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    Just came across an incredible deal for my agency. I could get enough Smith-Wesson M36 and 38 revolvers to equip all of our officers for the incredibly low price of $60 total.

My question to all is, is this a viable secondary weapon? The issue primary weapon is a Glock 21.

2. Heck Yea, especially for that price, you really can't go wrong.....I was weaned on revolvers and still carry them as a BUG / off duty weapon. Good luck with them....

3. Sgt127

Sgt127

Nov 5, 2002
    Texas
    Are you serious? If you only had ONE Officer, it would be an incredible deal. I've got over 25 years in. Started with a Govt Model and now carry a Glock 22. But, I carried a Smith 640 for the first 5-6 years and then a 642 until now as a BUG. I played for awhile with a PM9, but, I could never be sure it would be as reliable, upside down, weak hand, stuffed into someones bread basket, as a revolver. In my humble opion, nothing beats a J frame as a BUG. Nothing. They just, work.

4. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    I carried a S&W model 38 for years, then went to a model 640. I got the auto bug and tried the G27 and just never got comfortable with it. I returned to the 640 and kept it until I walked away.

I started with a revolver and never felt undergunned any time I carried one as a primary or secondary handgun.

5. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    That is an awesome deal, and the jframes make great BUG/off-duty guns. I would prefer the concealed hammer model for snag free pocket and ankle carry.

I have been carrying a 442 as a on-duty BUG/discreet off-duty carry gun since 2003.

Is that an exclusive deal you have come across, or is it something other agencies could get into. Over half the guys I work with dont carry a BUG and fewer than that carry off-duty.

There would be little excuse with a free jframe.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  6. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Oct 11, 2003
    SW Virginia
    Exactly, I dont' think it would be a problem talking guys into carrying a back up at those prices.

7. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
  8. Hedo1

Hedo1

Oct 1, 2007
    SE Pennsylvania
    That's a screaming good price for a great revolver.

9. Landric

Landric Supervisor?

Yeah, do it. I regularly carry a small revolver as a BUG. They are quite effective, easy to conceal, and not as effected by dirt and grime that usually comes with BUG carry, especially in uniform.

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    It is a deal that is good enough such that you will probably have to spend more on holsters and ammo than on the gun and possibly more on either holsters or ammo. And as neasr as I can tell J frames have a decade or so longer at being the "gold standard" for plainclothes/off duty carry than whatever pistol is that standard today.

11. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Darn good price. If you should have an extra ... :whistling:

12. Those would make wonderful Christmas presents

:santa:

13. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    i cant believe your agency put somebody whom has to ask this, in charge of such a decision.

14. fpgeek

fpgeek

Nov 7, 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    I'm VERY serious. One revolver for EVERY sworn officer, $60 flat fee. I do the "creative" acquisitions for our agency and when I saw this I was amazed. Had to lobby the Chief a little, but it worked.

15. fpgeek

fpgeek

Nov 7, 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    PM me with an ORI and I'll fill you in. The supplier is, well, motivated.

16. fpgeek

fpgeek

Nov 7, 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    If the decision were mine alone, we wouldn't have the discussion and if necessary, I would pony up the $60 myself. But while highly regarded, I'm not that high up on the agency food chain.

17. fpgeek

fpgeek

Nov 7, 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    If you are BOP, you could get in on it too with management approval. PM me with an ORI if possible.

18. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    sorry, i thought you were trolling.....seemed like an open and shut decision.

19. fpgeek

fpgeek

Nov 7, 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    No, just looking for opinion to bolster my lobbying efforts. The "green light" was received just after I posted this. Turns out I "almost" didn't need it since the Chief is a retired State Trooper and they were issued M38 pistols as BUGs at the academy.

This Chief was better than the last one, however, when it came to lobbying.

20. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    Yeah, no lie! Keep some of us posted, wil ya? :rofl: