close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Retirement isn't a right

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by devildog2067, Sep 16, 2012.

1. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    "They" *can't* make it right. There is no making it right. The money is gone. There's no getting it back.

I doubt it. There is no other answer.

I know you have a bit of time in the military; didn't you have the same attitude when you saw guys do everything right but their luck went the wrong way and they ended up dead?

Yep. We mostly did so to allow the people who worked there to keep their jobs. Who gets hurt worse when an automaker goes under, the CEO or the guy who retired after 30 years on the assembly line? We bailed out automakers to take care of retirees, and we shouldn't have.

It's mathematically impossible. You can't force people to save their income if they don't have any income.

2. Averageman

Averageman

Oct 22, 2011
    The point is to fix it now, so we dont have people with no income trying to make it to the next meal.

3. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Jun 15, 2011
    Texas

TBO, aren't you a cop? Don't you get pensions, or promised it if you complete a certain time period out?

As for the OP, agreed 100%.

4. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Jun 15, 2011
    Texas

My favorite quote from DevilDog.

"When BruceV agrees with you, you're probably wrong. " :rofl:

It's so true, and your post shows it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  5. racerford

racerford

Apr 22, 2003
    DFW area
    Sometimes bad things happen to people. If not this maybe that concrete truck runs over your car because the driver has a heart attack and dies at the wheel.

He should sue god or fate or whoever is in charge of bad things happening.

This is why we have children and go to churches, so that someone feels an obligation to try and help you out. That is why we used to have Walmart greeter jobs. Unfortunately somebody has screwed that up and those jobs are gone. That was one of the ways Sam Walton gave back to the community. He made sure he had a place for the less able in the community. He's gone and shareholders don't care.

6. That's not possible. After my MIL passed on I asked her doctor how much it costs to keep her alive the last two years. He estimated around one million per year. Most people don't have that kind of money.

She was delusional, she couldn't walk so she couldn't get to the toilet. She didn't remember she couldn't walk so she kept trying to get out of bed in the middle of the night and failing. When she fell she broke bones and had to go to the hospital, then to rehab then back home (She lived with us) for a short time then the cycle started over. Towards the end she would stop breathing and the nursing home would rush her to the emergency room. From there she went to ICU, and then back to the nursing home. What happens when people get that way? Do you execute them?

7. That's unrealistic. You turn to crime until you get caught and go to prison where you get room, board, and medical care for the rest of your life. Letting people retire is much cheaper.

8. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Oct 10, 2007
    It cannot be fixed, only the end forestalled.

You statement is so 20th Century. We are to be globalized, equalized with the rest of the world where many get by on a $1/day.

9. It's not so much that they over promised as that the government spent the SSI money to keep taxes down and wrote an IOU. Not it's time to raise taxes and redeem that IOU or default. The Republicans want to default.

10. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    So being broke would be enough to make you turn to crime? I think that says more about you than it does about retirement.

11. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    If you don't have that kind of money... how can you ask someone else to give it to you?

12. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Oct 10, 2007
    They would have to raise taxes so high no one would work for wages and the GOV would get no money and….you see the problem is we painted ourselves into a corner and there is no way out.

Curse FDR back in ’35. Curse LBJ back in ’65.

13. Well, I guess you could live on the streets and eat out of dumpsters.

When you have to resort to personal attacks they you admit you have no argument.

14. You're dodging the question. What do yo do with seriously ill people who can't afford their medical treatment?

15. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    What happened to, you know, working?

Personal "attacks"? You made this statement:

You said you would turn to crime. I said that says something about your character. You said it, not me. Pointing out a truth about something you said is hardly an "attack."

16. Nope, they could take the cap off and let the ultra rich "contribute" the same percentage of their income as people working for minimum wage.

The belief that SSI is unsustainable is propaganda. It there are enough high paying jobs in the U.S. SSI is sustainable. Of course, paying your people more than you absolutely have to isn't good business.

17. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    You mean zero? Because that's how much in federal taxes someone who makes minimum wage pays.

18. Fine, know where I can earn one million per year to cover my MILs medical expenses? How many 65 year olds has your company hired this year? How many 70 year olds?

I didn't say I would turn to crime. You made that inference. You don't pay attention and hear what you want to hear.

19. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

Oct 6, 2007
    AZ
    If I may play the devil's advocate here:

I think part of the problem is that many people don't view social security as stealing money from fellow Americans' wallets. They see it as taking money from The Government.

See, many people view The Government as this big, faceless entity with lots and lots of money (that it has no qualms about spending) that has been doing nothing but fleecing the taxpayers dry for years, so that makes it OK, in their eyes, to "get their own back."

I heard it when I was getting out of the Marines; fellow devildogs were all filing for unemployment when they were getting out "to get back at The Government." I hear it at work nowadays- people about to retire bragging about how they're going to "rape The Government after getting screwed by them all my life." I hear people say things like "Can you believe that The Government spent x-amount of billions of OUR tax dollars on this-or-that, and now they want to screw me out of my pithy social security that they've taken out of my paycheck without my consent for my whole working life??? Bull****!"

I've asked several people with this mindset if they understand where The Government gets its money, and that when they brag about entitlements and screwing The Government and such that they are essentially screwing themselves, let alone everyone else, but an unfortunate amount of them don't seem to get it. It will always be just The Government- that big, faceless cash-flush boogeyman.

20. Once again, you're hearing what you want to hear. Pay attention. Were talking about SSI (payroll tax). It may have changed, but I was paying SSI when I was making $1.00 per hour.