close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

retired LEO in FL with questions . . .

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by 58duck, Nov 22, 2011.

1. 58duck

58duck
    Expand Collapse

my Dad is retired after 30+ years as LEO and has relocated to central Florida. (darn near dead-center)
    at the age of 79, he now feels the need to carry concealed.
    after retirement, he handed his service revolver to me. this past september, for the first time since retirement, he shot a hand gun. he shot my Glock 21 - and i think he fell in love with it.

i've been talking to the others, and at this point i believe the best bet for Dad is to just get the Florida carry concealed permit. sounds like the easiest, cleanest way to do it. there's a class in January at the Universal Shooting Academy which he will probably take.

Dad has done more for me in 53 years than i could ever have imagined, and i feel compelled to purchase the hand gun of Dad's choosing for him. can any of you central Florida people direct me to a good, reputable gunshop somewhere in central Florida ??
    i will be spending Christmas with Mom and Dad in FL this year, and would like to make that purchase if he finds the gun he likes.

thank you in advance for your assistance,
    chuck

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Cochese

Cochese
    Expand Collapse
    Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

I bought a Sig on www.gunsamerica.com from a place in FL.

Jay's Guns.

I guess they have about four locations.

3. Cochese

Cochese
    Expand Collapse
    Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

Well, it looks like they are north Florida.

Either way, if you figure out what he wants locally, Jay's has pretty good pricing, even with shipping.

I paid $400 for a $500 Sig P238.

4. GD2J

GD2J
    Expand Collapse
    GoDirectly2Jail

Actually, your dad can carry a firearm concealed on his retired credentials without having to go through the time and expense of getting an additional permit, provided that he can pass the course of fire specified by FDLE.

Link ---> FDLE’s “Questions and Answers Regarding HR 218” October, 2008

#4 GD2J, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  5. Cochese

Cochese
    Expand Collapse
    Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

If he has retired credentials, or if not, whether his former employing agency is willing to give him such credentials at age 79.

CCW may be the best bet, although it would be cool as hell for him to get to do it on a badge.

6. Glockwork Orange

Glockwork Orange
    Expand Collapse

7. Bodyarmorguy

Bodyarmorguy
    Expand Collapse

AS others have said, HR218 is the way to go. If you are near East Central FL or can commute to the Cocoa area, I will do the HR218 course of fire for him. It is a 40 round course. PM me for details.

8. Chuck54

Chuck54
    Expand Collapse

Also check into Glock LE He should be able to get a Blue Label Pistol

9. 58duck

58duck
    Expand Collapse

the way i understand it, Dad has the necessary credentials, but would need to go to the current Chief of his department in PA in order to get permission to carry outside the state of Pennsylvania. in addition, it would be necessary for him to qualify annually with his department in order to remain 'current.'
    traveling to PA at certain times of the year may not be a practical solution.

if i understand FDLE & HR218 correctly, this same procedure could be done in Florida. again, he has the proper credentials. also, he would still need to qualify annually in order to remain 'current' according to FDLE. i do not believe that to be a problem as they spend a majority of the year in Florida. they only come north to pester us kids for a couple of months, then retreat south before we can get even with them. age has brought wisdom to Mom and Dad.

any way, Dad would like to be in a position where he could carry as he and Mom drive from Florida to North Carolina to Ohio. would you guys suggest he pursue HR218 certification, or going and getting the carry concealed permit ??

don't worry about him qualifying - he outperformed all his fellow officers (including the Chief) in each of the last (2) years he was active . . .

10. Patchman

Patchman
    Expand Collapse
    Florist

My understanding of retired HR218 is he needs to have the "retired" creds from his old agency, plus qualification from the state where his legal residence is. Then he's good to carry under HR218 wherever he travels.

11. k9medic

k9medic
    Expand Collapse

Did he move to the Villages?

Anyway - if he can't/wont carry on his retired credentials, then all he needs to do is show that he is a retired police officer when he submits his CCW packet. No need to take a class.

12. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

Do both. Get the Florida permit and qualify with somebody to carry under HR218. If nothing else, I bet that the Florida permit has a NICS check number on it, which would speed up the transaction process when buying a gun.

13. nohocop

nohocop
    Expand Collapse

If he has the retired credentials, and qualifies per HR218, he doesn't need permission from anybody. That was the whole point of the law in the first place, among other things.

14. bobdat

bobdat
    Expand Collapse

delete

#14 bobdat, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  15. GD2J

GD2J
    Expand Collapse
    GoDirectly2Jail

An annual requal for the privilege of carry in all 50 states (versus 34 for CCW) seems like a good deal to me. Also, it looks like there's many places to get the qual done in central FL as well. Looks pretty pain free.

To the OP, your dad does NOT need permission from his old chief or department. HERE is a link to the law as it pertains to retirees. It spells out everything and is very straightforward.

Best wishes in whatever you (& he) decides!

16. Patchman

Patchman
    Expand Collapse
    Florist

Yeah, he does't need anyone's permission. Just the "retired" creds (ID Card that says "retired" is good). Then proof of passing the annual qualification from where his legal residence is.

It seems 90-percent of all retires (including LEOs) from up north moves to Florida, so I hardly think there'd be a problem finding someone to qualify them to the FL requirements.

Having said that, it's also a good idea to get a FL CCW. As a past thread once pointed out, if your dad should at some point in time become physically unable to qualify for the HR218 shooting qualifications (and thus no longer qualify for HR218), he'd still have the FL CCW to fall back on.

Tell your dad to enjoy his well earned retirement and thank him for his service to his community (and your mom for supporting him).

#16 Patchman, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  17. G33Fla

G33Fla
    Expand Collapse

go to gungenie.com choose what you want and where you want to pick it up at.

18. fla2760

fla2760
    Expand Collapse

This.

19. fla2760

fla2760
    Expand Collapse

This is what I did. I retired from nypd in 1988. I qualify with revolver and semi auto every year.

#19 fla2760, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  20. Marshal Sam Hol

Marshal Sam Hol
    Expand Collapse

I don't know about Florida, but I am retired in Arkansas. We are required to have proper credentials and qualify once a year. I retired from a state agency, so what I do is qualify with my old agency twice a year just to be safe. About two years ago, we were in St. Louis, and ended up at the arch. I have been there before, but this time they had walk thru metal detectors and I told the family to go ahead and I would wait outside. Inspite of the bad rumors of federal agencies, one of the officers saw us talking and asked if there was I problem. I explain ( after showing credentials) that I was carrying. He told me to wait, and called for an armed supervisor. I told him the situation, he said they would rather have me armed inside thean leaving the weapon in the car. He signed me in and I took my granddaughter ( and my gun )to the top of the arch...