close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Resurrected Irrelevant Old Thread Please Ignore

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by CDW4ME, Feb 9, 2014.

1. BBMW

BBMW
    Expand Collapse

2. BBMW

BBMW
    Expand Collapse

Getting back to the OPs original point. The only problem I have with .45 is that it gives up usually three rounds or more to .40, where .40 only give up a one or two rounds to 9mm. .40 is close enough to .45 in expanded diameter and penetration, that I'd rather have the three more rounds.

Also, I think the heavy .40 bullets have more bone penetrating power then any 9mm. There's no good way to simulate this, but give how much of the thoracic cavity is surrounded by bone, this is an issue, and it isn't addressed by gel testing.

3. Roering

Roering
    Expand Collapse
    Sorting nuts

In the grand scheme the difference between a .45 and a 9 is for the most part academic.

If the .45 is what you feel most comfortable with that means more than any study you may come across.

4. OldArcher

OldArcher
    Expand Collapse
    Gospel Carrier

Like many here, I've carried various and sundry calibers and weapons over the years. Everything from .380acp to .45acp.
    Only one caliber has always met my needs, and that is the .45acp. I've had ten 1911's over the last 43 years, but wouldn't buy one now, on a bet. I've had, and stuck with, Glocks for the last 11 years, and will never switch, trade, or sell mine.

Two Gen 3 G21SF
    One Gen3 G21
    One Gen3 G30
    One Gen3 G30SF

If you've found something that never fails, and has almost infinite possibilities, stick with it.

Glock- when it comes to handguns, there is nothing better...

Maranatha

OldArcher

5. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan
    Expand Collapse
    Cool Guy

Its intended to show a fair comparison of the holes but believe it or not the difference in the time it takes a jug to emtpy and a person to expire is not that far off.

6. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Well I hear this from Glock owners a lot, but it has not been my exp. Yes I own & shoot them, but don't really find them all that much more reliable than other guns. I think I had about 25K rds thru my best 1911 before I had an feeding malfunction I couldn't trace back to the ammo.:dunno:

7. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Never having shot a person & timed their expiration, I guess I would have to take your word there is some correlation there.:dunno: What I do know, is water jugs are not animate targets & have little to do with terminal performance on such.

8. CDW4ME

CDW4ME
    Expand Collapse

I think the 40 is a good compromise of diameter and capacity.
    I also favor 180 gr. bullets in 40, they are the original weight for the caliber and they produce less recoil than some of the hot 165 and 155 loads.
    My Glock 27 has "old school" 180 gr. Hydra-Shok in it.

#88 CDW4ME, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  9. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger
    Expand Collapse

This is a common type of thread. I find it very interesting to review it every now and then. I guess those like Jack Ryan and intecooler and others find it impossible to move on or ignor threads without saying something Negative.

I guess that some members forget that we have new members all the time and renewing old threads with new information and new opinions are why I am here!

I usually don't get too involved in threads like this but I do find them interesting reading. If not I would just ignore them.

I would just like to say that I have been in two shootings in my long career. One with a 9MM and the other with a 45ACP. Without getting into details, the 45 did much better. I realize that shot placement and circumstances could have had allot to do with it. But in my mind the 45 was a one shot stopper while the 9mm was not.

10. digilo

digilo
    Expand Collapse

I agree. Mass is key to momentum, and momentum is key to penetration.

The other problem I have with .45 is that within a gun family, the .45 frames are bigger than the .40, so the choice of .45 mandates a larger-framed gun (G21 vs g22).
    The muzzle energy of a .40 round usually equals or exceeds .45, on a weight-for-caliber basis, i.e., a 180 gr .40 carries more ME than a 230 gr .45, a 135 gr .40 carries more ME than a 185 gr .45, etc.
    But discounting the ME difference, which can vary according to ammo choice, is the extra 50 grains of bullet weight worth the larger frame, and lower capacity?

11. CDW4ME

CDW4ME
    Expand Collapse

Using the same frame size is why the 45 GAP was created.
    39 is the same frame as a 26/27
    38 has the same frame as a 19/23

I like the 40, but the 45 has a diameter advantage, not just weight.

12. digilo

digilo
    Expand Collapse

How many 45 ACP guns are out there compared to GAP? Whats the ratio, 10:1? 20:1? 100:1?

For the vast majority of .45 guns out there, which are .45 ACP, the bigger frame isn't worth the .050 diameter difference, and 50 grains of bullet weight.

#92 digilo, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  13. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger
    Expand Collapse

To ME it is. :shakehead:

It really helps me double tap AND it helps allot with 45 Super!

#93 Trigger Finger, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  14. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

My xd45c is virtually identical in size to my g19. You would have to put a mic on it to tell any diff. Both are 10+1 here. So I can have my cake & eat it too.:supergrin:

15. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY
    Expand Collapse

If it works for you great. I have handguns in every major service caliber. I think folks tend to get to wrapped up in the whole caliber thing. I really don't think .35 vs. .45 caliber is going to make that much difference. Finding a platform and caliber that suit your individual needs, practicing, training, tactics, and mindset are what will see you through the night. Not a tenth of an inch in frontal diameter. Whatever I'm carrying I'm going to keep shooting until they are down. That's what it comes down to anyways.

16. OldArcher

OldArcher
    Expand Collapse
    Gospel Carrier

Over forty some-odd years, I had ten 1911s. All high end. The last two were Kimber's top of the line. Wouldn't have a Kimber now, unless I could swap it for three or four G21's, or the new G41's...

Whatever fits you best, and you can work with- with confidence, when your life is on the line, go for it...

In my experience, I've never seen a Glock fail- in any way, shape, or form... Not being God, I certainly don't know everything... What I do know, not believe, is that the Glock has never failed me- ever. I can't say that about the 1911, regardless of how respected, or expensive, it is...

That's just my view, and you can take it, or leave it.

Metal on target- precision, is the name of the game. Using a weapon/weapon's system, that has gained your trust and confidence, will serve you well...

Maranatha

OldArcher

17. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Shooting IDPA every weekend, I see a lot of FTF with Glocks. Some are modified, so all bets are off, but many are stock guns. The newer Gen4 seem quite prone to malfunctions unless everything is just right. When I go to a training class, I am one of the few still toting a 1911 & get all kinds of crap about the malfunctions that certainly will occur, yet I can make it thru 300-400rds in a day class w/o a single stoppage. So yes, everyone's exp is diff, that is mine. My current ccw other than my XD45c is a 1911PD. In more than 1500rds, it's never baubled, not once.

18. intecooler

intecooler
    Expand Collapse

I heard I was being paged. Look what this has grown into... I think I can input my opinion as well and it should have been closed. My opinion.

Back to this versus that :whistling:

19. CDW4ME

CDW4ME
    Expand Collapse

How many 45 acp to 45 GAP is irrelevant.

What is relevant is the option of shooting a 45 bullet out of a 9mm/40 size pistol; I'm glad it is an option.

#99 CDW4ME, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  20. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall
    Expand Collapse
    HildabeastHater

And what if one of the jugs was on drugs?

:headscratch: