Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Resurrected Irrelevant Old Thread Please Ignore

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by CDW4ME, Feb 9, 2014.

1. CDW4ME

Jun 5, 2009
    I have carried 9mm (briefly), 357 Sig, 40 S&W, 10mm and 45 within the last year. I allowed my shot timer to briefly sway me to the 9mm; however, I soon came back to my senses :embarassed: and realized that a .01-.03 slower 2nd shot is miniscule and I could / should carry a more powerful and / or larger bullet.

My preference then varied from high KE with the 10mm or 357 Sig, to the compromise 40 S&W, or 45 for maximum diameter.

No more indecision. :miff:

I'm sticking with 45 diameter whether it be 6+1 of 45 acp/45 GAP (Glock 36, 39) or 8+1 45 acp/45 GAP (Glock 30SF, 38)

Studies that show smaller bullets (9mm) being as effective as larger bullets (45) are based on bullets hitting various places in the torso of different people. :eyebrow:

Logically, if two bullets of equal design, struck the exact same spot the bigger bullet would offer a potentially quicker incapacitation against an attacker.

I'm not buying the notion that the smaller bullet will work "just as well" as the bigger one, as pictured.

Stories like this are not going to sway me back toward greater capacity over diameter: :notlistening:

If unfortunately approached by an armed attacker (or two) in a parking lot demanding money and threatening life, a couple of well placed 45 bullets are more likely to incapacitate the attacker faster than a couple of equally well placed smaller bullets; I also think the one or two attacker scenario is more realistic than being attacked by a small crime mob where capacity would be obviously preferred.

I am resolute :strong: to stick with 45 diameter bullets.
    BCGlocker likes this.
  2. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011
    Oh boy. Here we go againnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. :upeyes:

3. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    Carry what you like.

I'm fine with any of the popular service calibers.
  4. hunter 111

hunter 111

Jan 29, 2012
    TRAVEL -
    Don't let anyone especially the individual who has zero knowledge on weapons and bullets discourage you , I applaud and agree with your decision and also carry a 45 cal weapon although mine is 45acp in30S
    Having seen people shot is painfully obvious that bigger and faster is always better.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    oldman11 likes this.
  5. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Good choice.

The most important factor in choosing a firearm is that you have confidence in it. Now you have to do your part.
  6. Wiggity

Aug 23, 2011
    Regardless of whether or not your thinking is correct, way to be decisive OP
  7. fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    I'm a big 45 fan, but proper bullets make them close in performance. If it were 45 solids vs a good 9mm jhp, I am going 9mm. 10+ 1, nearly identical size guns, jhp, I'll go 45.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  8. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    So velocity plays no part in a bullet's effectiveness? Wonder why rifles work so well then.

Anyway, if .45 is good, wouldn't .50 be better?
  9. Glock 23 Nutter

Glock 23 Nutter

Jul 28, 2010
    Beware, the Tarantula...

[ame=""].45 ACP Federal HST 230 gr Ammo Gel Test - YouTube[/ame]

Just use the "+P" variety in the shorter, G30/36 Bbls for ~ the same performance.

10. PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    I went through the same decision path. I think the 45 is great, but it is too heavy, and in Glocks, too big for me to be comfortable with. I just bought a two-tone S&W 1911 Commander. The SW1911SC. With the lightweight frame and 9 rounds, I might carry that. I Would hate to get it scratched. Probably, I will just stay with my beat-up G32. After all, I just got a new barrel for it and had the frame to slide tightened a little. Besides, everyone knows what a 45 ACP is. I get all of the fun explaining the 357 sig because unless you are on this forum nobody in the gun store is going to tell you about it.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  11. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan

Apr 6, 2013
    If you are so resolute in your decision, what do you care what any one here thinks about it?

Who are you here to convince of the validity of the position?

I don't know why people post these kinds posts and start them off this way. If what you say in the OP is all true and you've decided what you want to do and you are going to do and you don't need input to feel correct then just do it.

If you haven't made up your mind and just want to debate it or some new point you've come across then say that.
  12. WinterWizard

Jan 17, 2012
    Here is my opinion for everyone who carries or has a gun for home defense:

1. Carry/have the most powerful caliber you can handle and get multiple shots on target quickly.
    2. If you carry gun, carry the largest gun you can comfortably conceal for ease of use and also capacity.
    3. 1 & 2 may be a compromise of each other.

Some people struggle with .40 or .45, some don't. Some can shoot .40 and .45 virtually as fast as 9mm, some can't.

But I will say this. With modern ammo, there is not much difference between the common handgun calibers, BUT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. There is an overlap, as well. For instance, I would prefer the best .40 load out there versus the worst .45 load out there. I would also prefer the best 9mm load over the worst .40 load, etc....
  13. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

Mar 25, 2003
    Your "logic" doesnt necessarily match real world performance, and if you think that 5 liters of blood will leak from a .1" larger hole in a matter of seconds then you should resort to reading rather than stacking bullets together and picking the largest of the three. If you are so set on bigger is better, maybe you should replace the engine in your car with a steam powered engine.

The .45ACP isnt bad, and if that is what you feel comfortable with then that is fine, but what you feel comfortable with doesnt translate to what is the best. I get a feeling you will switch back to the 9mm in a few months.

If a real world shooting, such as the one you posted, doesnt seem to sway your decision then we can clearly see that you are ignoring real world facts and base your decision on flawed logic.
  14. MyTime

Jan 20, 2014
    I don't know how often this is updated but it seems like a good reference point. Additionally, lots of different carry ammo options are not on this reference...some may be better, some not.

For me it is either a 45 ACP Springfield Armory Champion 1911 commander with 230 grain Winchester PDX1, or it is a 10mm G20 with Underwood 155 grain. I'm comfortable trusting either.

15. intecooler

Nov 15, 2012
    These stupid ones this late in the game should be locked.
  16. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    well put arguments, you carry what you feel comfortable that it'll do the job, I only use 9mm for the games.
  17. Z71

Oct 29, 2006
    From my experience hunting medium/small game with handguns..the .45acp sure is not a 'legendary' feral hog-stopper
  18. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

Nothing wrong with the .45, it's one of my favorites for sure. My other is the .40, it's smaller size is easier to carry, it holds more ammo, and still shoots a big bullet and most always maintains higher velocity than the .45 so it's flatter shooting.

If you choose the .45 as the best, great. If someone else chooses the 9mm as the best, great. They all work.
  19. hunter won

hunter won

Nov 13, 2010
    For concealed carry a .45 like the G30S or G39 are my favorite. For Police work. The high capacity G17 9mm with +P+ 127 grain. I like firepower for police work.
    SCmasterblaster likes this.