close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

resizing 9mm question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by XDRoX, Jan 31, 2010.

1. XDRoX

XDRoX
    Expand Collapse

While resizing and de-priming I am having a difficult time getting the shell to line up with the hole in the die. I have to use my fingers and "help" the shell into the die upon entry. The other dies work great, the shells just push right in smoothly.

Am I doing something wrong or is there something wrong with my die? Or does 9mm just take a little adjusting to get it lined up?

It's not that big of a deal, but it does add considerable time to each resize. If I could just put the shell in the holder and pull the press, it would be a lot faster.

I am using a RCBS single stage and the 3-piece carbide die set from Lee.

Thanks

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin
    Expand Collapse

I will start with checking your shell holder. Misalignment can happen, but shouldn't be a constant mishap.

3. robin303

robin303
    Expand Collapse
    Helicopter Nut

I'm using the single stage Lee press with the 9mm dies and I seem to always have to help it along also. If not it will get a little crooked and mess up the brass. Maybe that is just the way it is.

4. XDRoX

XDRoX
    Expand Collapse

It's definitely consistent. I messed with the shell holder and even changed it to a RCBS one. Same issue.

That's what I'm beginning to think also.

5. JMiller

JMiller
    Expand Collapse

Had this same problem on my RCBS single stage doing .45s. I found if I left the die loose then ran the shell up into place then while the ram was all the way up I then tighten the die it worked fine for me. I also found one of my shell holders would do it more than the other one. I have 2 so I can leave one in the primer tool. After setting the die this way I ran 1200 shells through it without a single problem.

6. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

JMiller describes the proper method of aligning your dies with your shell holder (shellplate in progressives). This should cure your problem.

7. XDRoX

XDRoX
    Expand Collapse

This almost fixed it. There is still slight hangup sometimes. It's much faster to fix now, I can just barely touch one side of the shell and it slides in perfect. So thanks, it helped, but didn't fix it fully.

8. Riflemanz

Riflemanz
    Expand Collapse

When i run up a case into the die with my rcbs press i run it up slowly while holding the case until it glides into the die.Sometimes i have bent the case mouth doing it too fast.I also use a universal decapping die and then into the tumbler to clean the cases before i size.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=136543

9. JMiller

JMiller
    Expand Collapse

Keep doing that until it works right. You might be getting it on a small bind when you crank down on it.

10. dudel

dudel
    Expand Collapse

What kind of press are we talking about? New or used? Sounds like it might be out of alignment. If it's not, a die with a pronounced flare in the bottom (like Dillon) could help. Originally designed for progressives, it's more tolerant of off-center brass. Dillon also publishes a tip on locking down the dies with a shell run up into the die to center everything. This is one of the benefits of the Co-Ax press (the floating dies center themselves)

If the press is out of alignment (it does happen), send it back if new, toss it if used. An out of alignment press is going to give you all sorts of headaches trying to get rounds chambered, it won't help the brass any (especially at the base)

Don

11. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Brand new RC & Lee dies. A die built for a rpegressive would certainly help. I use RCBS dies on my 550B & have to be careful not to catch a case mouth on the sizer, just not enough bevel on the die mouth.

12. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Anyone can have a case hit the side of the die. You actually have to be careful and be sure the case is staight. The RCBS I have looked at have a HUGE bevel compared to Lee. For me, I will live with the very very occasional jam for the improved sizing at the base that a die with minimal bevel provides.

13. XDRoX

XDRoX
    Expand Collapse

I just bought a set of RCBS dies just to try something different. I'll let you know if they work any better.

14. Justincase

Justincase
    Expand Collapse

FWIW my experience,

I have a 30 yr. Old rcbs single stage rock chucker, and have a new lee die set in 9MM had the same trouble with the lee shell holder, I switched to rcbs holder and trouble went away.

I like the lee die set but I find the rcbs shell holder fit the brass, (Federal, win, and blazer brass) and the ram better.

15. XDRoX

XDRoX
    Expand Collapse

I just got a response from Lee. Information that no one has added yet to the thread, so I thought I'd post it. When I get off work today I'll take a close look at see if there are any burrs. It sounds like others also have this problem so if I can figure out a fix maybe it could help some people out. I'm also waiting on a reply from RCBS.

Chris,
    What press you are in makes a difference. If you are in a single stage press, make sure there are no burrs in the ram that are pushing the shell holder off center, or even a burr in the shell holder. If you are in a turret, have you aligned the turret?

Bill
    Tech Service

16. mteagle1

mteagle1
    Expand Collapse

It can also help to change the angle of the shell holder, I run mine about 30-45 degrees to the left and I am using a Lee undersized die. With range pickups I some times have problems with burrs on the brass causing them to stop but a gentle touch and they are on their way again. Just deprimed 4000 40S&W and about 1000 45's last week.

17. ranger56528

ranger56528
    Expand Collapse

I have a Rock Chucker and use a Lee shell holder for my 9mm and have had no problems..

18. XDRoX

XDRoX
    Expand Collapse

I just got a reply from RCBS:
    HI Chris, Please return the press to the address below so that we can check it out here. Does this happen with all cases and all dies? What caliber die and what shell holder are you loading for?

Thank you,

Technicial Services/Sam

I already sent the press back to Cabelas though, they were really nice about it. They paid for shipping, and allowed me to just return the press and not the whole kit.
    But now I can't reload for a week:crying:

19. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Seeing how your other dies worked fine in that press and only one set of dies did not. It was probably NOT the press.

#19 Colorado4Wheel, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  20. XDRoX

XDRoX
    Expand Collapse

I studied it before I returned it. The shells also lined up crooked with the others dies. The other dies have a slightly larger opening so even though the shell was misaligned, it straightened out as it went it.

My best guess is it was the black threaded nut on top of the press that the dies get screwed into. That seemed to be just a little off.