close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Resident AK Experts Needed:

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Chevytruckin98, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Ok I have a SGL-21 here with about 300 trouble-free rounds through her. The bolt carrier rail on the right side is a bit thin, and it really bothers me. I sent it back to Arsenal and they sent it back and said the rifle is functioning fine. They did offer to replace the rifle though. I have another SGL-21 that has beefy rails on both sides, so my question is: Should I sent it back or is this perfectly normal?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  2. Tailhunter

Tailhunter Glockman

Dec 25, 2007
    NC/VA State Line

3. Thats what im thinking, but im looking for a second opinion

4. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

Apr 8, 2009
    CA
    Looking at mine right now. The rail does seem to be thin on your for some reason. I dont know if that would be a problem tho. :dunno:

5. Thats what im thinking, Im waiting on Carlos or 7.62buzz or some of the others guys to chime in...

Im thinking eventually it will crack from stress

6. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    It does look a thin to me also, and I've got a lot of time on AK's. Generally, if a company offers to replace a product for free it's because they know it's outside normal production standards. I doubt it would ever give you a problem, but I'd take them up on it if it was me. You've got nothing to lose by swapping them out, and it would give me peace of mind.

7. my762buzz

my762buzz

Mar 21, 2007
    I compared it to 3 other Izmash carriers and the back corner even looks different in shape. It probably would not ever cause a functional problem.
    However, I would want more steel there if possible. Yes, take them up on their offer and get another.

Oddly, my Molot Vepr looks uniformly 3 times thicker in that same spot but its an RPK style carrier and that would not surprise me.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  8. Glocker08

Glocker08

Sep 22, 2008
    Wow,that is thin ! I just looked at the carrier on my SGL-20 and its about twice as thick in that same area. Also,the rail on mine is even across its entire length. Yours in the pic appears to slant toward the back and then taper off. I say send it back and get another rifle.

9. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

Jan 4, 2000
    DFW area, TX
    Just so you know, I've been following this thread, but I have not had a chance to look at my own rifle for comparison. Regardless, I would follow 762buzz's advice and send it back.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010

10. Thanks Carlos, I think I am gonna send her in today. FYI Arsenal has been pretty good through all this, a bit hard to communicate with, but okay. I am a little bothered that they made me pay shipping twice for this rifle.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  11. andyffer

andyffer

May 30, 2009
    any time someone will offer me the same rifle but brand new out of the box, I'll take it

12. jamesavery22

jamesavery22

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern VA
    Looks like Arsenal modifies the carrier. Heres a Saiga carrier for comparison:
    [​IMG]

Notice the notch where Chevy's carrier is thin. Thats where the Saiga manual bolt hold open catches the carrier. No clue why'd they would do that...

Stole the pic from Cobra 76 two on the Saiga forum.

13. Interesting you say that because there are some grind mark at the thin part of the rail....makes sense now. THANKS!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  14. jamesavery22

jamesavery22

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern VA
    np
    better pic of the rear right side of a Saiga iz-132 carrier:
    [​IMG]

15. Well, I asked Arsenal if I could change the stock color to plum if I paid the $6 difference. They responded that they want $50 for "labor" to change the furniture off the rifles to plum. I declined to pay the difference, so why do I have to pay for labor if I am getting a new rifle?

16. Update: I got a new rifle from Arsenal. The customer service was mediocre, and the communication was poor. I did not get a tracking number for the warranty rifle btw.

17. my762buzz

my762buzz

Mar 21, 2007

Arsenal from what I hear does not have a great customer service division.

18. Yeah, I also asked about paying the $6 difference and getting the plum stock. They wanted to charge me $50 bucks for labor......I think it is BS.

Also, the rifles' Arsenal markings look like they were done at Century Arms. It looks like the rifle was the runt of the litter. This kind of left a bad taste in my mouth on Arsenal.