close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reset BIOS question????

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Big Dog Dad, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure what happened, but my wife's PC running XP recently had a massive crash and I think the BIOS needs reset. My question is if I reset it to factory default will I loose anything in the way of applications, hardware drivers, etc. This PC is so old, I don't have a lot of the original disks to reload everything and I'm about ready to put a 45 through it mainly because I'm tired of hearing her whining and moaning. She uses it mainly for e-mail, word processing and silly games. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there anything I should know if I go into safe mode on startup?

-=BDD=-

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch
    Expand Collapse
    Fartacus

What do you mean by "resetting the BIOS?"...are you talking about reformatting your hard drive or actually FLASHING the BIOS? If you don't know, you probably shouldn't try either...

3. joe0121

joe0121
    Expand Collapse

I tend to agree. If you have a video camera video the monitor as you press the power button. This will allow us to watch the POST and see what the issue may be.

4. rednoved

rednoved
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

What makes you think the BIOS is the issue?

5. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad
    Expand Collapse

I've thought that BIOS might be the issue with the loss of my E: drive, low virtual memory error, out of memory error in Word and a few other applications. Will it do any harm to "flash" the BIOS during a reboot or do you have any suggestions? I'll take a few pics during bootup if you think that will help. Like I said, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-=BDD=-

6. srhoades

srhoades
    Expand Collapse

Flashing the BIOS will not fix your problem. Sounds like you had a failed hard drive and and you have insufficient RAM, hence the virtual memory errors. Too many programs loading at startup can also cause that.

7. Detectorist

Detectorist
    Expand Collapse

Without getting into your REAL computer issues...I would never, unless it's an emergency critical fix, flash the BIOS.

Are you actually talking about System Restore?

What do you see on the screen when it boots up?

What brand/model computer do you have?

If you haven't done so already, disconnect everything from the computer except the mouse, keyboard, screen, power plug and restart it.

#7 Detectorist, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  8. soulxfer

soulxfer
    Expand Collapse

Bios reset will not resolve your issue, if its low on virtual memory. Try cleaning up C drive and remove programs that start automatically. Use "autoruns" utility from sysinternals.com , its easy to use.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

9. stevemc

stevemc
    Expand Collapse

Try replacing the ram. It's easy and you aren't going to blow up your settings. BIOS is not your issue.

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

I guess I'll ask.. How much RAM does the machine have?