Resale value of a Glock w grip modification

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by maestrogustav, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Let's say from one of the best pros in the business-- a hump reduction and texturing will have what sort of impact on the resale value of a current Glock?

Please let us know if you've had experience with this. thanks.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Does LEO and special pricing hurt resale values? General Firearms Forum Jul 19, 2013
    Resale value of almost brand new G21? Like new W/ 2x13 mgs + 2x27 rnd mags The Okie Corral Sep 20, 2011
    Dillon resale value Reloading Mar 31, 2011
    Resale value? Band of Glockers Jan 26, 2011
    Resale Value Car Forum Dec 10, 2006

3. I have no personal experience with GLocks, but I do know that for most guns custom modifications don't usually add much to anything on resale... and sometimes can lower your resale.

Perhaps on this if you sold it to another forum member who is seeking a grip reduction then you might be okay. Personally... I wouldn't buy a gun with a modified frame or grip... others might.

4. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

normal circumstances, i'd say it's the kiss of death.

these days, put it on gunbroker as an assault glock...and retire.

seriously, photos would probably help to determine how much you'll lose off "normal" pricing.

5. Most grip mods, even from a pro, make the weapon look like crap. It will hurt the resale value significantly. When people buy used, they want a stock gun. Changing sights is ok, it's not a permanent alteration, chopping the grip is.

6. My experience has been different than other posters. If its done well by someone known it does not change value as long as the buyer wants and appreciates the mods. Thats been my experience. However, the challenge is that once you do a grip mod you have made the appeal of your gun narrow and finding that special buyer could take a long time.
    MB
    :cool:

7. iflyem1

iflyem1 Member

I agree. Once you make a modification you limit yourself when you sell the gun. I wouldn't make grip modifications if your thinking of selling the gun in the future.

I personally don't like the grip modifications, even when done "Professionally".

8. I watch the auction sites a lot,semi retired, and have noticed modified Glocks don't do very well. I'm very wary of buying a gun that's been modified, got burned many years ago but the mods were reversible. I've been wanting to get a 21 but will probably get a M&P 45 due to the finger groves not fitting my hand. The finger groves on my 17 and 26 are fine. However, if I get the 21 and modify it it could cost me money down the road. Remember when you start personalize a gun you are doing it to your taste, this will limit the number of potential buyers down the road, also remember what's a cool mod today my not be cool in the future.

9. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

excellent post!

and what one person loves, another can't stand.

10. Well, that's what I expected--

I have three modified by Lane, and two recently acquired with hump still attached. Slow fire is no problem with either setup-- but when I speed up, the humped guns are all over the place. For me obviously.

The 19 is the only model of which I have two; maybe I'll get my 23 modded and keep the spare 19 stock, and hedge my bets.

But I must say, after decades of P7s and 1911s, the hump really messes me up. I know you can practice your way through anything, but going back and forth can be exasperating.

11. I wouldn't consider buying a bubbad up gun of any kind. I don't care who did the work if it not stock most wouldn't buy it. Some people like it but most of those guns go for sub standard pricing.

12. Glocks have resale value? Who'd thunk it?
    s45

13. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

They do nowadays. The dealers can't keep them in stock. :upeyes:

14. Almost every mod makes the value go down in my mind. If you mess with the cosmetics I worry about what you have done to the internals.

Colby

molan labe

15. If it was a model I was looking for I could see easily paying $50-100 more for a used Glock done by this place http://www.coldborecustom.com/ compared to what I would pay for a used Glock in similar condition but not reduced. If the reduction was done by anyone else I would be extremely reluctant to even consider purchasing it, if I did the gun would have to be priced substantially less. (No offense to anyone else who does good work, I am just not familiar with your reputation.)

My guess is that if one was trying to sell a popular gun that had a grip reduction by one of the best, that they probably would get a bit more than an unmodified gun but that it might take many months of being patient. An unpopular model, or a pistol done by an unknown person, my guess is that one would end up getting 25-50% less than a stock version.

16. South Fla

South Fla ©South Fla 2015

I always thought that when a modification to a gun that was done where material is removed, I would believe that the gun has been structurally compromised and therefore, weakened.

I would never buy one that was done by either a professional or a home brewed one.

I don't think that I have ever seen one that was modified that was for sale in a LGS.

17. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I am indeed careful to watch out for altered Glocks. Factory new for me when I get a G22.

18. if its the gun you want....and the mod's will help you shoot better.......why not?.....just dont sell the gun

19. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

For me a permanent mod would kill the deal.

20. If your thinking about selling it I would definitely do it now. I'm not a fan of any modified Glock, but now if any you will stand a chance of selling it.

21. If done and documented by Lane, Bowie or Boresite i'd pay a premium.