close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Republican roadmap to an 8.5% vat

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Ruble Noon, Oct 6, 2012.

1. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas
    Are you in favor or against a 8.5% VAT?
    I'm curious as to your opinion?

I would favor it as long as it completely replaces the current income tax system and does not just add another tax.
    And under the restriction that it doesn't gradually increase over time.

No exemptions, no loopholes.
    You spend the money, you pay the tax.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

2. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    I'm in favor of the Fair Tax. http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer?pagename=HowFairTaxWorks

However, the Republicans want to add a vat to the income tax, which I am in no way in favor of.

3. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas
    I would not be in favor of that either.

A Fair Tax would be acceptable, but it too must replace the current taxes,
    not add to them.

If the government can't function on that amount of money, then government is too big and needs to shrink.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  4. GAFinch

GAFinch

Feb 23, 2009
    Georgia
    As a replacement for the complete elimination of corporate income taxes? A highly simplified tax code for individuals? Looks promising to me. Raising sales taxes in the future is no different than raising income taxes or capital gains taxes.

5. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A
    As others have noted -- a fair tax as a replacement to the income tax is an option to which I would give due consideration.

6. maxsnafu

maxsnafu

Dec 29, 2006
    Short of a constitutional amendment I know of no way to prevent future congresses from increasing the VAT or any other tax. Thinking an increase can be legislated against is the triumph of hope over experience.

7. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    Oh, so you're speaking for all republicans now, are you?

No, we're not.

8. Does anyone here seriously think the VAT would replace the existing taxes instead of being added to them? When was the last time a federal tax was repealed (see answer below)?

Answer: in 2006. It was the federal excise tax on long distance calls, imposed in 1898 to help fund the Spanish-American War.

9. Those Republicans who make the decisions do. The rest of you is may "want" whatever you like, it does not matter much.