close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Replacing factory sights

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by Mathwiz, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Mathwiz

Mathwiz
    Expand Collapse

I just purchased a set of Meprolight night sights for my gen 4 G27. Is it possible to change out the rear sight without the sight pushing tool?

Front, no problem.

#1 Mathwiz, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  2. Dave.1

Dave.1
    Expand Collapse

I have usually tapped out the factory plastic sights with a dowel and you can put your new sights in that way but I wouldn't recommend it.

You can dammage the vials in the night sights and ruin them. Find a shop or friend with a sight pusher to put them in properly.

Dave

3. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

So the night sight vials can handle repeat recoil from a 10mm but can't handle a few taps with a soft punch? Don't think so.

I didn't use a sight tool to install my sights. If you pay attention to what you are doing you can easily install the sights yourself.

Here is what I used to install mine.
    [​IMG]

4. whitebread

whitebread
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Even if you can get the sights in without damaging anything, you won't be able to make fine adjustments to the alignment.

5. Dave.1

Dave.1
    Expand Collapse

DKF I agree that someone with experience can usually handle it but when answering a question you don't always know what the person's experience level is.

When it comes to the vials, a sharp tap from the side isn't the same as the slide moving as a unit. Especially if you slip. Lots more cushioning when the whole slide moves front to rear.

Dave