close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Repercussions Of A Modified Glock....

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by IrishRifles, Jun 27, 2012.

1. IrishRifles

IrishRifles

Mar 16, 2012
    In the aftermath of a self-defense shooting on the legality aspect, is it a bad idea to change the basic fundamentals and modify your Glock from its stock condition?
    IE: will it come back to bite you in the ass in court? [​IMG]

2. Reconinforce

Reconinforce

Jun 23, 2012
    KC, MO
    If the media can relate it more to some "evil" firearm I bet it will not help. If legal teams eat people up for using reloaded or "hopped up/killer" rounds then they would find a way to color a trigger job in a bad light. Just my view from what I have read in the past.

3. As long as your modification are not in violation of any federal or state laws, no.

That being said. I would not put "Punisher" logos on my slide cover plates, nor would I have the end of my barrel engraved with "Smile at Flash".

4. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Aug 23, 2009
    SE WA
    As long as you didn't shoot them 38 times with this thing, using your ultralight 1.2439 lb trigger pull you should be ok...
    [​IMG]

5. AA#5

AA#5

Nov 26, 2008
    Yes it will, & they will only hurt you. Modifications that lighten trigger pull, etc. will make an already-complicated situation worse. In a SD shooting, you'll need all the help you can get & a modified gun gives the prosecutor more ammo to use against you.

6. IrishRifles

IrishRifles

Mar 16, 2012
    Then how come the fear of the end result does not hurt the accessory makers?
    What I mean is, whats more important a safe stock gun or an altered one that may get you hung in court?

7. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    If you modify it within manufacturers specs it will probably be okay. Such as changing to a NY spring or even NY spring and 3.5 pound connector. Even things like modding the grip of Glock might help because you might be able to sell it as a safety improvement. For example if the grip is too big for you sending it out to someone to shave it down and it now easier for you to control.

Things that might harm you might be things that "look evil" or could be argued that decrease safety. Look up "Fitz Special" online. Never do that to a gun you plan on carrying.

8. Sgt127

Sgt127

Nov 5, 2002
    Texas
    Easy answer. What mods do most major police departments allow on thier duty guns? When I started, 28 years ago, we had alot of freedom. I carried a Wilson Master Grade .45. Nowdays? Its an issue Glock. Stock. Yearly inspections.

We don't even allow personally owned duty guns anymore. I think keeping a gun as stock as possible would preclude any argument that you altered it to make it shoot faster. Shoot easier. Make it more capable of killing people. If it were a good idea to modify a gun, why aren't the cops doing it?

Remember, you have to convince 12 people that were too stupid to get out of jury duty.

:)

I think a good defense attorney can mitigate those issues pretty easily, but, its still hanging out there....

9. oldman11

oldman11

Mar 1, 2012
    Texas
    The crooked DA's and lawyers are the ones that get you hung

10. IrishRifles

IrishRifles

Mar 16, 2012
    I think its a catch 22 no matter what you do to it, regardless of how slight.

11. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    Personally, my 'SD/HD' Glock(s) are bone stock.
    The G26 that I carry is bone stock, with the exception of a Pearce +1 magazine extension (so that I can get a good purchase on the pistol).

In this day and age, I'm not giving anyone any (additional) reason to believe that I did anything other than protect my loved ones, or myself.

I don't need a "whoop-t-doo whiz-bang" gadget or modification to make my Glock(s) perform.

12. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    I saw one of those on Star Trek!! :tongueout:

I keep my carry stocked and buy SD ammo even though I reload.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  13. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Sep 6, 2001
    Opinion only mind you... From a criminal case POV, if the shooting is justified and your response legally correct, probably not an issue... depending on the modifications of course.

From a civil "wrongful death" lawsuit situation that may follow, it might become an issue, depending on plaintiffs attorney, the jury, and of course, mods done to weapon.

How good is your attorney? Familar with weapons is he/she? What advice do/did/will they provide you? A bunch of answers from GT'ers is worth exactly what you paid, ya know?

14. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    It also depends on whether or not you state has Castle Doctrine.
    If it does, then it doesn't really matter what you use.

We've discussed this before, but not one single time has anyone been able to show where a civilian SD/HD court case outcome hinged on any modifications to a firearm.

15. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

Sep 4, 2004
    Suriname
    In your own home, whether its called Castle Doctrine or otherwise, defend with any and all means possible, 50 BMG, Glock racegun with 1.5lb trigger, the wife's stainless steel Black Mamba vibrator, whatever is at hand.

For carry i would indeed be more circumspect with the mods, but i too await proof of a case where the triggermods were an issue.

16. jmchaney

jmchaney

Apr 4, 2011
    Kentucky
    They may be too stupid to get out of jury duty, but they are smart enough to find their way to the courthouse. If they possess that much intelligence, then they certainly know that the tool used can have no bearing on justification.

A halfway decent attorney can mitigate such an issue, and that means an equally good prosecutor knows better than to offer such an argument to begin with.

17. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    From Mas him self: unintended discharge due to too-light pulls.

He has never said anything about a self defense shooting turning bad, just because of how a pistol was set up.

Why is it, only when a PISTOL is used, trigger pull, becomes a subject you can be "sued for" in court.

BUT, when talking about a RIFLE or a SHOTGUN being used, TRIGGER PULL, is NEVER mentioned.

Why??????????

18. GTFord1

GTFord1

Feb 7, 2007
    This ridiculous, paranoid conversation gets brought up several times a year on every gun forum I read.

FACT: There's nothing but speculation in this argument, and it's largely a non-discussion. Show proof that anyone has ever lost a valid self defense shooting because they had a light or rail or bayonet on their gun. You can't find a single case of this.

Worry about some other boogeyman.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  19. scccdoc

scccdoc

Dec 28, 2011
    Does your "stock" SD/HD have night sights? Or did you have them put on to help aim in low light situations?