close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Repair costs for a digital camera

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by BikerGoddess, Jul 3, 2004.

1. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess
    Expand Collapse
    Got hairspray?

I've got a Canon Powershot S100 Digital Elph camera and the door that covers the memory card is broken. One of the posts holding it in snapped, so when you open it, it falls off. Can't take pictures without the door on, so it's just more of an annoyance factor right now.

But when I took it in to find out how much it would cost, they said $196. For a plastic door. I can buy a new camera for that. So, I was wondering what the possibility of finding the door and fixing it myself was.

Laura

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. RBR

RBR
    Expand Collapse

I just love plastic doors on cameras and flashes. Battery doors are easy to break the cheap hinges on also. If you think you can change it yourself you might try to get this camera and use it for parts. The second line needs to go on the end of the 1st line.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3335&item=3824742474&rd=1

Can you tape the door closed and use it? If you download images using a cable (elph to PC) rather than removing the card to plug into a card reader, then you might just live with that.

3. RBR

RBR
    Expand Collapse

Never mind about this "The second line needs to go on the end of the 1st line." The link seems to work.

4. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess
    Expand Collapse
    Got hairspray?

It still works and I can open and close the door ok, it just falls out when open occasionally.

And I'm tempted to do something like that, but not at a minimum of $50 (24 bid plus 25 shipping).

Laura

5. powernoodle

powernoodle
    Expand Collapse

rubber band?

6. General Sherman

General Sherman
    Expand Collapse

7. General Sherman

General Sherman
    Expand Collapse

Wouldn't you know.

The flimsy Compact Flash door on MY Power Shot S100 fell off this morning too.
    I was taking out the flash card to load it into a card reader and I noticed the door was missing. It had fallen on a chair and I was able to reinsert it into the post hole and use it. I could use the wire direct to the computer SB slot instead but I use the card reader for the CF cards of my other camera, too.

Do you realize that this 2 MP camera listed for over $600 when new four years ago. I paid $600 for mine.

I like the small size of it for constant carry. Like a pager or cell phone on my belt.

If mine completely fails I would probably replace it with the current version in 4 or 5 MP.

8. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess
    Expand Collapse
    Got hairspray?

yeah, I got it for travel because my other digital seems so big when you have to carry everything on you...

Not sure if I'll replace it when it quits working or not. Certainly not worth fixing.

Laura