close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Rep. Paul Ryan Passed Two Bills During 13 Years As Congressman

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Flintlocker, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Flintlocker

Flintlocker

Jul 1, 2011

Paul Ryan,
    recently announced as Mitt Romney‘s running mate, has spent about 13 years in Congress. During that time, only two of his bills have become law.

One of those bills came in July 2000 and renamed a post office in Ryan’s district. As the Huffington Post notes, the “post office on 1818 Milton Ave. in Janesville, Wis., is now known as Les Aspin Post Office Building.”

The other came in December 2008, when Ryan tackled the excise tax on arrows (bows and arrows). His bill “amended the Internal Revenue Code to impose a 39-cent tax per arrow shaft, instead of a 12.4 percent tax on the sales price.” (Ryan himself is a bowhunter and took a personal interest in passing that bill.)

http://www.mediaite.com/online/rep-paul-ryan-passed-two-bills-during-13-years-as-congressman/

2. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    What was his percentage of simply voting "present", as compare to oh, say, Obama's as an example?

3. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

Feb 2, 2000
    Connecticut
    And your point is???

The less Congress does the better! Gridlock is a good thing. Virtually everything the Congress does takes away liberty, rights or private property.

4. PaulMason

PaulMason

Feb 10, 2010
    I'm thinking less laws are a good thing for our freedom. :supergrin:

5. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012

That isn't a very leftist way of thinking

:supergrin:

6. Flintlocker

Flintlocker

Jul 1, 2011
  7. The Machinist

The Machinist No Compromise

Sep 20, 2009
    The Left Coast
    The fewer times any congressional idiot votes on anything, the better off we all are. I don't hold this against Ryan. Rather, I view him with contempt for being an enemy of the common citizen, and a champion of an ever-growing government.

8. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    :yawn:

You still aren't coming close to making Obama/Biden look any less a threat to the Country than they were a week ago.

9. The Machinist

Sep 20, 2009
    The Left Coast
    The threat is our out of control federal government. Neither candidate will work to change the fact that we're dead set on a course to financial ruin. Their policies differ slightly, but the outcome remains the same in the end.

10. Kablam

Kablam

Jan 12, 2005
    I don't know the numbers exactly, but since they're small statisitically I'd say it sounds about like Ron Paul's success at influencing the outcome of the gov through passing, or blocking, meaningful legislation.

By the way, what do you machine?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  11. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 LongTerm-Guy

Aug 10, 2010
    NC

And who caused Triple the most Damage.....?
    Their Policies are completely opposite of one another....Only a Lemming or a `sly` foolish (Closet Liberal) would throw in the towel and accept 4 more years of Berry....:yawn:

12. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

Poor Flintlicker. Only a liberal Democrat could possibly think that less laws are bad.

Talk about a DU fail!!!

What part of "conservative" do you not understand? We all think there are too many laws. Two laws passed in 13 years is two laws too many for most of us.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  13. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012

And your plan to replace the political system that includes politicians would be?

Oh and by the way the rules say you have to do it with the support of, at least nearly, the majority of voters.

So far, you seem to be lacking a plan or the needed support, so what do you have in mind, a coup to replace them with you and your "elite" buddies?

All you are doing is howling at the moon. Other people, like the TEA party are trying to make significnt changes because they are still part of the process, unlike the Rongoloids who have taken there ball and gone home.

14. Flintlocker

Flintlocker

Jul 1, 2011
    That's not to say he didn't try. Since 1999 he's sponsored 75 laws.

15. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012

You really don't know much about how it works, do you?

16. madbaumer

madbaumer

Mar 17, 2007
    Cental Florida
    Its not his job or duty to create, sponsor or vote yes on bills just to show numbers. Its his job to "protect the citizens of his district from an overbearing and oppressive federal government!"

Many fail to understand this including the ones sitting in Congress.

17. The Machinist

Sep 20, 2009
    The Left Coast
    Mostly parts for Xerox, Intel, and Nike, lately. The machines they use for R&D can't be bought in stores, so they design things from scratch, and utilize local machine shops and to build nearly every component imaginable to hold silicon wafers, heat up printer's ink, or stomp a new shoe 10,000 times. Actually, I do mostly programming these days. I have plantar fasciitis in my feet, and I can't run mills and lathes all day. So I program them, and make more money, to boot. :supergrin:

18. The Machinist

Sep 20, 2009
    The Left Coast
    My plan is simply to do what one man alone can do - vote my conscience, and not be taken in by obvious party hacks who talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.

Do you understand what dire financial straits this country is in? Do you have an inkling of what's going to happen to the way of life as we know it when our economy collapses? You could tax every American at 100% and not pay for the future entitlement spending in the years to come. Did you see the mobs forming around local Atlanta human services offices when welfare checks went out one day late? Imagine the chaos to come when it vanishes entirely.

It's a mathematical certainty. Romney is no different than Obama in this regard. As I said before, neither of than have plans to do anything other than spend us into higher and higher debt.

I get that Obama is scum. Truly, I do. Personally, I don't even believe he's an American citizen. But he's an obvious enemy. His intentions are broadcast from miles away. Romney, on the other hand, tells you what you want to hear. Ryan does the same thing, yet neither of these men's policies spell anything other than financial ruin for us. For them to charge headlong into disaster, while telling us they're going to "save America", means their nothing but a 5th column. I look upon that with even more contempt than Obama's naked aggression.

No, that does not mean I'm a shill for him. I would pound my balls flat with a rubber mallet before I ever voted for him - or Romney.

19. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    ItI certainly is your right to have no effect if you don't want to.

It is certainly your right to tell yourself you hold some moral high ground and engage in some ethical ************ fantasy.

But, here is the thing I don't get. I haven't seen you acquire one new convert to your philosophy here. We are basically slugging it out over who will actually win the election. So what, besides self pleasuring, are you accomplishing by chanting for the the political apocalypse that you pray will bring about paradise, when two sides are going at it in the real world for real stakes?

20. The Machinist

Sep 20, 2009
    The Left Coast
    That's nice, but I'm curious to how you respond to the fact that Romney will only add to our debt, and has no plan to reign in spending. Are you even capable of acknowledging that, and are you even the least bit aware of how this economic shell game is going to play out?