Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Removing stripped set screws

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by willymatt, Oct 28, 2013.

1. willymatt

Sep 24, 2013

I just removed a set of XS big dots that had red thread locker on the set screws of the rear sight. I managed to get them turned enough to remove the sight, but the heads on the screws got stripped and now I can't get them out of the sight.

I thought about trying to drill them out, but I don't want to damage the threads and they are very small screws...Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Drill with a drill bit the size of the nut head...slowly, with the slide in a vise. You will eventually shear off the nut head. This will trash the sight, but...

If you want to save the sight (and as I re-read your post, that seems to be the case), use an "easy out" (small...a little smaller than the bolt diameter.)

[ame=""]Screw extractor | easyout | broken bolt removal - YouTube[/ame]

3. bucky_925

Dec 29, 2000
    North Carolina
    If you have ever heard of a "left handed drill bit" that may help also.
  4. Why not drill to the next size larger and tap for the next size set screw.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app
  5. willymatt

Sep 24, 2013
    Thanks everyone.. I'm familiar with ez outs but not sure they make one that small, and I think they actually come with a left hand drill bit.

Didn't think about drilling and re-tapping..that may be the way to go.

I also thought about contacting XS to see if they could get them out and replace them, but didn't want to spend too much to get it fixed as replaced them with Heinie straight eights, and was planning to sell the big dots.

I won't sell them without the hardware in tact so may just have to write them off for now.