close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

removing sights for "non-snag"

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tenifer17, Jul 19, 2012.

1. tenifer17

tenifer17

Has anyone here ever just removed their sights on a G26 or 27 to make it more snag free when pulling it from a holster , waistband or a pocket ?
    I know that when the crap hits the fan you may not even see your sights and just point in the direction . Therefore in that scenario sights will not be needed. I would not consider using my G27 for a long range gun anyways with its short barrel.
    Just pondering this . What do you guys think ?

2. soflasmg

soflasmg

It's probably a better idea to find a holster that wouldn't cause such a situation.

I've drawn from concealment thousands of times from a proper concealment holster and never had the sights snag.

3. tenifer17

tenifer17

yeah , but I was just wondering what people on here thought about it . I havent had it happen either. I know that when I had removed my sights on a Glock one time that it looked so much more streamlined.

4. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member

I've not had any problems with my G26 and G19 from a Remora holster. But if you're looking for some good info on USING a pistol with the sights off, check out anything written by Col. Rex Applegate.

He's like the father of "point shooting" and did Military trainings films and such. I have one of his DVDs. Might make you more confident not using sights.

5. Quarter Tank

Quarter Tank

Not a good idea IMO. Sure close up you may not need them, but you don't ever know the situation you may be in.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. 3/4Flap

3/4Flap

Applegate is hardly the father of point shooting...tho you are correct he promoted it. It is more accurate I think to say that point shooting was extremely common until the recent modern era when training shifted to front sight focus, etc. But it has never really "died". Another version of the concept is simply covering the Bad Guy with the rear of the slide and pulling the trigger. No sights at all are necessary for this, and yes, it works.

All the older revolvers had slick tops for easy withdrawl from holsters and pockets and Browning 1910 autos {except for a few military contract versions} and other small autos have a narrow groove cut in the top of the slide with tiny diminutive sights of a sort milled in.

I can definitely see a reason to install rounded, Ultra-Low profile sights {almost dovetail blanks} for a special purpose pistol that comes from the factory with sight dovetails. Something like a G26. Yeah, it would work and for the purposes the OP describes, would make some practical sense.

Funny thing is, with a little practice, the top groove sights can be used at more extended ranges than fist-fight distance, too.

7. 3/4Flap

3/4Flap

PS: I did the very thing you describe with a Makarov I had. Dehorned it and then reduced the sight height to mere bumps. It worked GREAT and I shot Expert with it on the Army Alternate Course of Fire {25 meters}, too.

Just because a concept is modern {thick blocky, sharp sights} doesn't mean it is always best.

8. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

It's not too much to ask of your G26/27 to shoot out to 25-50 yards, and there's no way in hell I could hit anything with my G27 without sights of some sort.

I've never had a snag problem and I've carried on my vest, ankle and almost daily AIWB.

9. TeeJay37

TeeJay37

You could always get a Chinese Glock 26
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Audiman77

Audiman77

Wow....Thats butt fugly

11. Bello

Bello America/Italia

I use snag free from arotek [​IMG][​IMG]

Let me know what you think these are on a g27

12. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

You could file down a set of stock plastic Glock fixed sights pretty cheaply, range sessions would be "hit or miss" though!

13. Bruce M

Bruce M

Low profile sights I could see but my guess is that removing the sights and not replacing them with anything would cause more problems than it solves. Anyone remember the Guttersnipe sights?

14. Audiman77

Audiman77

In all honesty I've been carrying a glock 22 and 27 for 13 years now w the PD. never had a snag issue. I'm a plainclothes detective and usually carry iwb w a remora holster.
    Also keep in mind with the tapered sights it's going to be hard to do a one handed slide rack

15. ak103k

ak103k

Yup, and I even remember and have used the "Quell" system. :)

There have been a couple attempts not all that long ago at doing something similar to the Guttersnipes. The ones Ive seen have recessed the sights into a channel in the top of the slide as opposed to on top of it, like the Guttersnipe. I believe NAA might be one of the makers doing it. I also saw a couple on some smaller 1911's.

16. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

People have been carrying pistols with sights for many years, even Glocks. I'm betting, from this post, you have a lot less experience than most of them. They aren't having a problem with sights snagging. If you, out of all of them, feel like you need to think about what you may be doing wrong.