close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Removing Explorer 6

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DBR, Jul 18, 2004.

1. DBR

DBR

Oct 30, 2001
    Vermont
    Does any one know how to remove Explorer 6 from a Win 2000 system. Is it even possible? I am running Mozzilla and I like it a lot but even if "Explorer" is not opened, the system still collects a bunch of info about browsing addresses in the "hidden" explorer files. I notice that "explorer.exe" runs even without the browser being opened. I can easily purge the files with "PurgePro" but I would rather just be rid of "Explorer".

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Hando

Hando

Jan 23, 2004
    Utah
    short answer - you cant.
    it is part of the OS now

the explorer service you are seeing is the desktop. if you cancel it your desktop will disappear. than you can run it again ant the desktop will reappear.

3. DBR

DBR

Oct 30, 2001
    Vermont
    Hando
    Thanks.
    I kind of thought that would be the answer. The extra files are really only a housekeeping issue, but I wonder how many people running alternative browsers are aware info is still being saved on their systems that cannot be erased without special tools.

4. Hando

Hando

Jan 23, 2004
    Utah
    what kind of info are you talking about?
    the explorer is now part of the OS so your only other choice would be using linux.

that is what i dislike about netscape. it was becoming like IE. it would save a bunch of its files in a bunch of different folders. this doesnt seem to be an issue with firefox or opera.

i feel the same way you do and like to keep stuff on my HDD neat.

5. DBR

DBR

Oct 30, 2001
    Vermont
    Hando
    The info that comes to mind includes:
    (the saved info is not complete as with IE-it just seems to save some things)
    Visited URLs
    Recent Links
    Win Temp Folders
    Win Open Save History
    Recent Doc History (nothing opened in Word etc)

There are also various things under some registry keys.

This is from a reboot which flushes everything with Purge IE Pro and having used nothing but Mozilla.

Other things get saved depending on where I go and what I do.

6. Hando

Hando

Jan 23, 2004
    Utah
    i havent tried this but try changing the permissions on the folders that contain the recent links and stuff like that so the system cannot write in the folders. again i havent tried this so try at your own risk.

you should be able to set the browser history to 0 days so the browser doesnt keep history.

if you are concerned someone might get physical access to your system get a usb encryption key. unless this usb device is in the usb the HDD is encrypted so even if someone unplugs it and try it in a different PC they will still have to figure a way to decrypt it.

7. najaboy

najaboy

Mar 18, 2002
    Melbourne, FL
    explorer.exe IS NOT Internet Explorer.

8. physicsdevil

physicsdevil

Jan 25, 2000
    California
    From Windows Update:

"Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the most out of your computer.

You need to be running a version of Internet Explorer 5 or higher in order to use Windows Update."

9. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

Apr 13, 2004
    about the only difference is the name of the files. they are extremely similar and the point of the explorer shell is to make the interface much like web broswing.

10. Hando

Hando

Jan 23, 2004
    Utah
    plus if you type in explorer a url it goes to the site, so it is the same basicly

11. 0100010

0100010 Millennium Member

Sep 15, 1999
    DFW
  12. DBR

DBR

Oct 30, 2001
    Vermont
    Thanks for all the info folks. I don't have security concerns. I just wondered why the Explorer caches etc seem to "see" some of what is going on in Mozzilla. I do realize now that I need Explorer to access Windows Update. I tried to use it with Mozilla and MSN doesn't seem to like it.

13. Egyas

Egyas Troll Hater

Awhile back, thewre was a program called Win98Lite that could actually strip IE from the system. I saw a similiar appversion for XP about 5 months ago (or so) that does the same thing. While explorer.exe and iexplore.exe are not the same file, they are indeed very similiar.

This app uninstalls IE, and replaces the explorer.exe service file with a different file with the same name. All the calls from the file work the way the original did, so the system really doesn;t know the difference.

Drawbacks.....
    1) EXPENSIVE! It was like $200 or something.
    2) Doesn't work EXACTLY like explorer.exe, so there are some quirks.
    3) I can't remember the app name. :(

14. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

Sep 19, 2003
    East Central Indiana
    Don't we all wish? I just told my firewall to not allow it access and removed the desktop icon. I only use it for Windows update.

15. Hando

Hando

Jan 23, 2004
    Utah
    so what do you use? i am just curious. firefox, opera?

i read about firefox here and have been using it ever since but nontheless i like to know what are my options.