Removing Duracoat from a Glock

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Bilbo Bagins, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

How hard is it to remove duracoat from a gun. There is a used glock for sale at a local gun shop and it has a ugly duracoat job on the slide and frame. The price is getting cheaper by the day and still no one is biting.

How hard is it to go from this

[​IMG]

back to this

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Can you scuff it up and spray Duracoat over it?

3. sandblast with aluminum oxide...

4. Worst case is get a new layer of Duracoat.

5. +1 on new Duracoat. How cheap out of curiosity??

6. Bilbo Bagins

Glock 23 3rd gen. Right now it is at $325, however I hear whispers that that the gun store owner is in a "Make any offer" mode to get it off the shelf.

I thought, I would take the chance if I could buy the gun for $200 or less, if getting the Duracoat was a little easier to remove. Unfortunately its is a sloppy job, and it looks like the original owner did one base coat, then hand painted on blotches to go for a multicam look, but the blotches are raised and have brush strokes. If I tried to duracoat over it, it would still look like crap.

7. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

#7 michael_b, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  8. If you could get it for 200.00 I would leave it as is and carry it. LOL

9. I've heard that brake fluid removes duracoat just like it does automotive paint.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. It would be ~$200-$225 to fix that.

The slide is the easy part.

The frame is more difficult since chemical stripping of the Duracoat is more iffy to avoid damaging the polymer.
    Blasting it off the frame would probably compromise the original molded in texturing some.

Probably you would never end up with the fine pebbling detail of the original molded in surface.

Of course if you combined it with a Grip texturing/Finger grip removal then that would actually make it easier as material gets sanded off the surface taking the Duracoat with it.

11. Hey for 2 bills take a chance!

12. That is not a 23. Looks like a 26 or 27. Just saying. For 200 I would pass. Offer him 100.

13. It's a 30. Extended mag and rail is a give away.

14. Really?? That's a seriously sick paint scheme. Refinishing is a must. Don

15. Bilbo Bagins

Yea it seems that is the impression I'm getting. Even if I buy it to $200, to remove the duracoat would cost another $200, so at the end of the day, I will have a $400 used glock that will have a beaten up grip and slide finish.

Nahh I think I'm going to pass on it.

16. Bilbo Bagins

Just a representation, that is not the actual gun.

17. I would pay $200 for that gun and not do a thing to it. Carry it openly. They know you meant business when you carry a customized pink Glock.

18. While I understand the economics aren't that great.

I wouldn't say you would end up with a "beaten up grip and slide finish"?

Something more like these grips
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8155/7625503288_5145548913.jpg

and a slide finish like this

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8438/7816525232_421b87fa96.jpg

Hardly "beaten up" IMO but then again I'm not an impartial observer? :supergrin:

19. Nice Mall Rat camo finish, just think no one would want to steal it as it sticks out like a third tat ta.:cool:

20. Nice Mall Rat camo finish, just think no one would want to steal it as it sticks out like a third tat ta.:cool: