close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

removal of an AR-15 barrel?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by NRA_guy, Jan 3, 2010.

1. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Jun 20, 2004
    Mississippi, CSA
    Can anybody point me to a video on removal of an AR-15 barrel?

I find plenty of videos on disassembly of the lower and bolt, and removal of the handguard.

Thanks.

2. bdh_1

bdh_1 Millennium Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Virginia
    Look on Brownells site. They've got a bunch of videos on there.

3. TKM

TKM Shiny Member Lifetime Member

AR15.com has a whole forum for build it yourself activities that should have what you are looking for.

4. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Jun 20, 2004
    Mississippi, CSA
    Thanks guys.

I had already been all over AR15.COM. (I post there occasionally.) I should have mentioned that. If they have it, I can't find it.

And the Brownell's site has some "how to assemble" videos---but not how to disassemble. I will watch them again. It may help some. Of course Brownell's wants me to buy a bunch of their special tools---something I prefer to avoid if possible.

I know, "disassembly is the reverse"...

Thanks again.

5. PeteCamp

PeteCamp

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    You won't get many AR's apart without a proper receiver clamp and barrel wrench. Just won't happen. Matter of fact, the only one I can take apart without them is my teaching mule that has a hand-tightened barrel nut. Invest in the tools.

ETA: There are some excellent DVD's available. You should get one and study it if you are a first-timer. On AR15.com look in the stickys in the Build It Yourself forum.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  6. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Jun 20, 2004
    Mississippi, CSA
    Thanks. I think I will just pay a local professional gunsmith to do it.

He said he would thread the barrel for about $75---but charge me less if I just brought him the bare barrel.

I had bought this useless book:

"Gun Digest Book of the AR-15" by Patrick Sweeney

7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  8. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
    I was just going to point him there.

The key is to buy all of the right tools first - even though this gunsmith will thread for you.

1. AR-15 action blocks - upper and lower

2. Barrel wrench - if YHM then theirs otherwise DPMS or other multi-tool is fine.

3. Shop vise - 4" minimum attached to a solid bench

4. Handguard removal tool is nice for stubborn handguards too.

9. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
    He's right. Nowadays it is getting harder to find gunsmiths and when you do - too many of them are slow to do the work, expensive, and sometimes with attitude when you question something.

Like the Glock, the AR-15 is really basic and some time over on the Build forum at AR15.com would really enlighten.

For the price of two AR-15 gunsmith jobs - you can buy the same tools they use AND do most jobs yourself and save $$$ for more gear, accessories or ammo.

Threading a barrel really requires investment and experience with a lathe. But most other jobs can be DIY - why does Brownells make so much $$$$ selling gunsmithing tools?

Something to think about because after a while, AR-15 collections grow. And it becomes cost-prohibitive if you want to move free float tubes or triggers around.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  10. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

Jun 20, 2004
    Mississippi, CSA
    Thanks!

That's exactly what I was searching for.

AR15.com is hard for me to navigate.

Thanks again, faawrenchbndr.

Looks like I'll be buying some more tools.