close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reminton Bulk problems

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Rys2k8Altima, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Rys2k8Altima

Rys2k8Altima

Nov 30, 2009
    Yorkville, IL
    Has anybody had issues with the Remington Bulk packs with Failure to Fires? Last weekend, I shot about 350 to 400 rounds thru the 10/22 and about 5 out of every 25 didnt fire. It was really weird. I think It might be something to do with my firing pin, but I dont have any issues firing these thru my Hi Standard. I really like the Winchester 333 pack, except there seem to be alot of loose rounds in there. I just bought some federal 550 at wally world yesterday, and will be going to the range on thur to try those out. Anyhow, has anybody else had issues with the Remington Bulk?

2. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    IMHO remy bulk is not good ammo,I've had worse results than you did.'08.

3. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

Jan 8, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    I bought a box of Rem Bulk a couple years ago, to use in my Ruger MkII. I couldn't wait until that box was empty. Bang Bang JAM Bang poof Bang JAM poof poof.

Never again, unless it's the end of the world and I can't find CCI minimags.

thorn

4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    Yeah, big time.
    And it seems to be getting worse with Remington.

Whenever I have a dud I pull the bullet and check for primer. There never is any.
    I have a jar overflowing with dud Remington, Federal and Winchester. Mostly Remington.

As an example, a couple days ago in one 24 round magazine I had 8 duds. Two fired on the second strike. The remaining six had no primer.

This is those six cases.
    [​IMG]

As can be seen the cases had no primer. The primed case is a Federal for comparison.
    [​IMG]

Bottom line is if you want to shoot this cheap ammo you will have duds.

Personally I shoot so much 22LR ammo that buying good ammo, such as CCI, would be way too costly. So, I put up with the misfires.

If nothing else it gives new shooters malfunction practice.:supergrin:

A few weeks ago friends put about a thousand rounds through my SIG 522. They were shooting as fast as they could load the magazines. I was the photographer. They were shooting mostly Federal with no problems but I could tell when the magazine was loaded with Remington. One malfunction after another.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  5. pakettle

pakettle

Aug 21, 2006
    northern Illinois
    Ive had no problems with the rem. goldens, my beretta neos and AA glock conversion loves em. Last 550 box only produced 1 jam and 2 ftfs, I had more failures then that with CCi mini mags.

6. I haven't had any problems specific to Remington Golden Bullets or Thunderbolt in bulk packs in my good rifles. But I've had a TON of problems with my 10/22 and every type of ammo I ran through it, before I finally got it running.

If you are getting a weak strike, the first step is to remove the firing pin and clean the channel. Use dry lube or no lube.

Did you keep the rounds? If not, you should. Any time I had a misfire, I would keep the round for reference to help determine if it was a firing pin issue and a weak strike, or an ammo issue. You can also see whether the firing pin is hitting in the proper place or not, or if it's strong enough.

Also keep some empty brass so you will have it to test any tweaks.

It could be the firing pin is too sharp, or the Rem brass is too soft. If the pin is too sharp or brass too soft, it will cut the brass instead of crush. Crush is what you need to detonate the primer.

The Volquartsen hammer kit has a stronger hammer spring that is advertised as preventing misfires. So it's not an unusual condition in the 10/22.

The firing pin channel in the bolt allows the firing pin to come off the edge, and the stock firing pin on mine gave weak strikes. I bought another Ruger firing pin from Midway and it helped. I also stoned some material off the rear of the bolt to give me a stronger strike.

So between the Volquartsen hammer and spring, another firing pin, stoning some material off the rear of the bolt, and having Connecticut Precision put a pin above the firing pin on the bolt finally got mine shooting consistently. Now the accuracy sucks.

If you think the firing pin is riding up, you can put a pin in the channel to keep it down. Or, you can stake (for lack of a better term) the firing pin channel better. Notice on the top of your bolt, there are a couple dings meant to keep the firing pin down. I've seen people at RFC discuss making those stronger and deeper.

7. I will not buy any more Rem. bulk until I hear about a great improvement in quality. The number of duds has gotten to be rediculous.

8. BSA70

BSA70

Aug 14, 2007
    NC
    I've had good luck with remington in my glock conversion kit. Seems the federals have duds also...

9. Rys2k8Altima

Rys2k8Altima

Nov 30, 2009
    Yorkville, IL
    I forgot to mention this, my Ruger seems to have a weird strike. It doesnt look like the pics above. It seems to only crush the rim, not into the bottom of the shell. I only ran about 100 or 150 rounds of Rem thru my Hi Standard, The only problem I had with that gun was one failure to feed. So maybe I should clean the firing pin channel. I have yet to do that, and I bought the gun used. I didnt have a singel issue with the Winchester stuff though. Just every once in a while I would get a Click and poof instead of Click and BANG. Oh well I guess. Its not like this is home defense ammo. I bought the Ruger and Hi Standard to Keep my 9mm costs down, and It sure has helped. I have gone from shooting 300-500 9mm rounds to about 100.

10. BK63

BK63

Sep 15, 2005
    CT
    My buddie was standing along side of me today complaining about just that. He had a rem bulk box and had a couple dozen that were hit hard and just did not go off. I had a box also and every one went off. We had bought them at different times and different places though. Maybe they have some quality issues?

11. It sounds like the firing pin could be drifting. Different ammo might take more or less strike to get detonation.

Here is a pic I borrowed from Connecticut Precision Chambering. Notice just above the yellow dot, the pin that has been put in the bolt. This keeps the firing pin at the bottom of the channel. You can duplicate the effort by getting a dowel or something, maybe even a small nail, and putting in that channel to keep the firing pin from riding up. Whatever you use, make sure it's smooth so the pin will move and avoid binding. I doubt you can drill a hole good enough to do that yourself, so it might be better just to stick something in that channel. I've heard of people at my club doing that. Maybe something semi soft like copper wire that will be easy to get out. You can tap it in with a small screw driver. Or a finishing nail with the point dremelled smooth inserted then dremelled smooth with the top of the bore.

Putting this pin in shows how much room for movement that firing pin has in that channel.

[​IMG]

Definitely start keeping your misfires and even some brass from rounds that fired. It will help you understand and zero in on your problem.

I paid for the bolt rework when a guy at the range suggested this could be the issue. The bolt rework didn't work. A Volquartsen hammer kit, a new Ruger firing pin (the ruger FP in my rifle and the ruger FP I got at midway were different lengths and had different points, their QC sucks), and taking some material off the back of the bolt got mine working. I can't say which step did it because I did them all at once before taking it to the club and trying it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  12. Ima19man

Ima19man

Jan 13, 2010
    Normal, Illinois
    Remington Bulk packs here in Illinois run about 18 dollars, the Winchester 555 packs run around 16 and the federal about 15. So far... I havent tried the Winchester, and the federal seems to be of higher qual than the remington. I'm going to do a complete comparison when I get to the range between the 3 bulk packs and cci mini mags..

13. Rys2k8Altima

Rys2k8Altima

Nov 30, 2009
    Yorkville, IL
    Im going shooting again on Thur. with my wife. Ill try and save some brass. I only have about 50 rounds of the Remington left. Then its on to Federal.

14. Rys2k8Altima

Rys2k8Altima

Nov 30, 2009
    Yorkville, IL
    I tore down the rifle again today. I didnt realize how much play that firing pin has in that channel. Im going to do something with it, I just dont know yet. I do think Im going to get a new firing pin though.

15. From what I've read, an expensive third party firing pin might not be worth it. I just bought another Ruger, and it happened to be a little longer, and the point was different.

I think pinning the firing pin is a good first step. Then keep some brass that fired and some misfires and compare.

If the rounds that don't fire don't appear to have a deep enough strike, then you could go with a stronger hammer spring, or stoning (put it on a knife sharpener) the back of the bolt. If you take a mm off the back of the bolt, that gives you a mm more penetration into the brass.

With mine, I would hold my firing pin flush with the back of the bolt and it just didn't appear to have enough depth in the strike. I may be mistaken.

If you want to be able to check it before going to the range, you can always take the bullet off a few rounds and drain the powder. The primer will sound like a mild firecracker, but you will then have a way of measuring your firing pin strike. If you did some before pinning the firing pin, or stoning the back of the bolt, you can measure your progress.

Also, if you remove the hammer spring, when you put it back in, make sure the slot in the retainer is up. Somehow, that effects the firing pin strike. That is one of the first things gurus advise to check for misfires.

Midway has a volquartsen hammer kit with a better hammer spring, a hammer, and the bolt release. That was money well spent.

16. mteagle1

mteagle1

Oct 17, 2008
    Great Falls, MT
    I've had Remington buck pack fail in a 22/45, MKII comp, Beretta NEOS, Ruger 10/22 and S&W 617 so it is not gun model related. The latest problem with bulk ammo is its diminishing size Federal 375 and Winchester 333 or Federal 325 Auto match. The only 22 ammo available at my local Wal Mart was the Remington.

17. Rys2k8Altima

Rys2k8Altima

Nov 30, 2009
    Yorkville, IL
    Well, I cleaned the firing pin channel. It seems alot better now, I put some dry lube in it and it seems to move really nicely too. Im thinking its just the ammo,but my Hi Standard really hasnt had a single issue with firing. I will try the whole removal of the powder thing first though

18. arclight610

arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
    Just went to the range yesterday. The only .22's that had FTF's were the Remington 350 Bulk Pack. I had probably 3 or 4 for 150 rds

19. slims00ls1z28

slims00ls1z28

Jan 23, 2010
    TN
    I've had quite a few remington ftf with the kids marlin m1's. One is old and needs some work but the other will empty 9 from other brands as fast as I can pull the trigger.