Remington R1

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Smokin45, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Well for some reason I have the 1911 itch. I grew up shooting my Dad's old Colt but I have never owned one of my own. Every one Ive ever picked up just did not feel right in my paws, so Ive always went back to plastic. I grew up 5 mins from the Remington Arms Plant in Ilion, NY and have been shooting Rem rifles and shotguns pretty much my whole life. I still to this day have a few buddies of mine that are still employed at the plant, so I figured my first 1911 I was going to try and support the home town boys. Does anyone have any concerns about this gun? Positives/negatives? Are all stock 1911's pretty much the same?? I know they are basically the AR-15 of the pistol platform with all the mods that can be done.

Also, can anyone recommend good aftermarket grips that would fatten the grip up a little? I LOVE the way the slip on Hogue feels on my Glocks, fits my hand perfect. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Remington Customer Service - Experiences? The Okie Corral Yesterday at 11:34 PM
    Remington 7600 - One rifle to rule them all - suggestions needed! General Firearms Forum Saturday at 10:59 PM
    Fantastic Deal on Remington Express 2.75" Buckshot Tactical Shotguns Saturday at 7:31 PM
    Remington 88 grain OAL Reloading Sep 20, 2015
    WTS/WTT Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Firearms Listings Sep 19, 2015

3. Oh and I dont need a $1500 gun with all the upgrades, just want something thats gonna go bang when I pull the trigger.. aka. not finnicky with what I feed her.. Would an R1 fit the bill?

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan

The R1 is about as hot as your current avatar. :faint:

Slim Alumagrips are VERY thin & flat. Very affordable at about &60
    You would need a set of slim bushings & screws as well, another $15
  5. Unk

Being a Remington rifle/shotgun guy won;t talk you out of a R1.

Here's my MetroArms American Classic Commander wearing VZ frag grips;

VZ offers a lot of grip styles. MA made in the Philippines..tight and shoots it while wasting my life away waiting on a Ruger SR1911. Same song, second verse on S&W Shield 9.

6. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED!
    Silver Member Millennium Member
    1. Project Mayhem
    2. Show Me Glockers

I wish Remington would have come out with their R1 several years ago. I may have solved a gun headache I am still working on. I love my R1. It's just the standard model, but it's a well put together firearm that's plenty accurate whist being 100% reliable.

While mine still has the original grips on it. I have found myself liking the double diamond rubber Hogues. I have several pair of those. They are just aggressive enough be be grippy without having the tack some rubber grips get. You can get them for about 12 bucks a pair.
  7. I just got a two-tone R1 and love it. Looks good with the stainless slide and black oxide frame. Getting some new grips and a straight trigger for it :)

I found some more rat hole money and got a Citadel 1911 to use as my new truck gun. Paid $499 at Academy.
  8. The R1 is a great choice.
  9. I saw one for the first time Monday. Finish and fit was good, balance was excellent, trigger felt a little better than good. He wanted 739 for it new.
  10. Thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate. I think Im gonna bite the bullet and pick one up here in the next couple weeks, gonna give my boys back home a call and see if I can get a deal.. I notice they offer a few different models on their sight, kind of leaning towards the stainless slide.. Like I said, only things I would be doing is putting on a set of fatter grips and adding night sights.. Dont need anything too fancy..
  11. I have an R1. It's OK. Series 80 trigger action.

I also own a RIA GI spec 1911 in .45acp. Series 70 trigger action, IMO smoother than the R1 trigger.

RIA sells for around $450. Spend the difference on ammo...:wavey:
  12. Ok best 1911 for under $800. Go!!
  13. faawrenchbndr

Stick with the R1, once, cry once.
  14. faawrenchbndr

1st stainless R1 I have seen a picture of,.....I like it!
    #14 faawrenchbndr, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  15. faawrenchbndr

One is stainless, one is carbon steel
  16. My local shop was trying to sell an r1 used with the idiot mark for 700.