Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Remington High Terminal Performance?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by 08Dawg, Jun 10, 2013.

1. 08Dawg

May 15, 2013
    Did a search, couldn't find anything, and hoping this isn't a repeat thread! Anyway...literally the first box of ammo I could lay hands on when I got my G23 was a box of 180 grain Remington High Terminal Performance JHPs. Lacking better ammo at the time (I now have some Win. PDX1s) I loaded them up in my bedside "nighttime response" mag. The thing is, my google-fu skills have failed me and I can't find much info on them. Anybody know anything about them? Good round? Complete crap? Any info would be appreciated!
  2. WinterWizard

Jan 17, 2012
    If you can't find any info on it, it probably sucks. Remington, old-school, crappy JHP most likely. Don't expect much. If you already have some PDX1s, I would just shoot the HTPs as range ammo.

3. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

So far from my research on the 'net, all this is is Rem standard ammo in new boxes. No new JSP or JHP bullet designs at all. It's just like when Rem repackaged their Golden Saber ammo into boxes marketed as "home defense" ammo.
  4. J_Rico

Aug 17, 2007
  5. unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    I don't know about Remington's .40S&W old school round but I understand the old school Remington 125-grain JHP .357sig performed very well. I kept ten rounds from the boxes I bought back in 2007.

And as mentioned earlier the Golden Saber was repackaged as a "new" round costing $5/box more than the ammo in the Golden Saber box. The Golden Saber may not be a new round but I like it, especially the bonded ones.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  6. If the bullets used in that ammunition are the same as their UMC JHP and Express JHP bullets, the HTP will be fine. The terminal difference between an HST and a UMC JHP when impacting flesh is minimal. None of the "premium" JHP loads will make up for improper shot placement and poor shooting fundamentals. Train with your new pistol. If you can find some "premium" hollow point ammunition at a reasonable price, pick it up. You will be fine with what you currently have.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  7. Snowman92D

Oct 6, 2001
    I knew there was something I liked about you. :thumbsup:

The 180-grain Remington generic jhp certainly took the starch out of homicidal assailants in a very workmanlike fashion for the California Highway Patrol in many, many shootings.
  8. The old Remington "Green box" 115 grain JHP in 9mm did well for some NJ agencies as well.

I said this before, even though ammunition is changing all the time, the human body hasn't changed much. What worked well in the past will still work today.

9. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Oct 21, 2005
    J-Ville NC
    This is worth repeating.:wavey:
  10. How are you, Brother? :wavey:
  11. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Oct 21, 2005
    J-Ville NC
    Doing good, brother. Hope you are, as well.
  12. Couldn't agree more. The HTP looks like repackaged express ammunition. I still haven't seen any actual pictures of the rounds.
  13. Mschnitz

Sep 17, 2013
    I seen a box of this new packaged ammo in 9mm at Gander Mtn. Lake Mary, FL for $34 this past week.
  14. ABNAK

Apr 22, 2005
    Was going to say this. I bought a couple of the 155gr boxes and they are indeed snappy. Remember the USBP used a version of the Remington 155gr JHP, although IIRC it was loaded to ~ 1250fps. That load, while hard on guns, ended quite a few gunfights. Hell, even at 1205fps it has my interest.
  15. ABNAK

Apr 22, 2005
    Well worth quoting for a second time!
  16. Ernest72

Feb 14, 2013
    New York
    I found a box in 40 cal awhile ago for a good price for 50. Have since forgotten, but they looked similar to the express JHP, but the color of the jacket was different. They worked fine in my 23/27 and have about 20 left sitting in the safe. I carry HST, gold dots or pdx1. I tried YouTube and can't remember finding any good reviews.