close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Remington 870P and Sneaky Bag Review

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by B Coyote, Dec 26, 2009.

1. B Coyote

B Coyote
    Expand Collapse

Slugs:
    [​IMG]

Ooops. Pulled the first one to the right to just outside of the -0. That was my fault and I called it as soon as I did it.

A pic of the target and range:
    [​IMG]

Lastly: a pic of me, the gun, and the bag.
    [​IMG]

bc

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #21 B Coyote, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  2. Chainsaw33

Chainsaw33
    Expand Collapse

Great review! Thanks!!!

3. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! It's fairly new, and I'm always on the hunt for suggestions and input, particularly from those who would like to write an article of their own on a relevant issue.

4. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes
    Expand Collapse

nice writeup i enjoyed it. also about the sneaky bag...where did you order it from? also, are there any "get out" bags like that one that are more suitable to a pistol/AR/carbine type setup. ie, has mag pouches for AR mags inside/outside it instead of loops for shotgun ammo.

5. 22highcaps

22highcaps
    Expand Collapse

You are absolutely right in that most shotgun safeties only block the trigger and not the sear. I put the VC BHS on my 870P in because I figured they would teach use of the safety at a shotgun course.

6. BlackbirdSR-71

BlackbirdSR-71
    Expand Collapse

Very nice writeup

7. B Coyote

B Coyote
    Expand Collapse

The bag was purchased at www.onesourcetactical.com. It comes with rifle magazine pouches.

bc

8. trob

trob
    Expand Collapse
    10 rd max

Thanks for taking the time to do that writeup. was a good read

9. B Coyote

B Coyote
    Expand Collapse

Since it was time to rotate out the old #4 rounds for fresh, I decided to take the camera along for a couple pics of the patterns. I've searched high and low for replacements, but simply cannot find any. When this stuff is gone, I'll switch to the Ranger 00 Low Recoil that I use for everything else.

First at 5 yards:
    [​IMG]
    Notice that I held slightly high, and a couple pellets left the -0 zone. Had I held slightly lower, they'd have all stayed in.

Next, at 10 yards:
    [​IMG]
    Here I had two stray pellets. One wandered out of the pattern and into the -3 area to the right, and one dropped low toward the bottom of the -1. The other 25 pellets grouped nicely.

Another at 5 yards:
    [​IMG]
    For grins and giggles, I went back to the five yard line and fired another. This patterned perfectly.

bc

10. Troy106

Troy106
    Expand Collapse

+1 great write up

11. team9x19

team9x19
    Expand Collapse
    the bee's knees

have you had a chance to get your hands on the winchester pdx-1 home defense ammo?
    i'm using that now in my 870.

12. B Coyote

B Coyote
    Expand Collapse

I have not tested it for myself....it's abnormally expensive and I have not seen it locally.

bc

13. bsg1

bsg1
    Expand Collapse

thanks for the review. very handsome looking shotgun as well.

14. Troy106

Troy106
    Expand Collapse

This is a very good thread with lots of info, thanks for the write ups

15. DHart

DHart
    Expand Collapse

Excellent review, Coyote! I'm a major fan of the "old school" style pump shotgun... walnut furniture and bluing (although park is nice too!). I dislike a shotgun laden with a ton of stuff as well. For me, a good sling and a very small weapon light (like a TLR-1) are all a fighting shotgun needs. And great to hear about the Sneaky Bag, too. Great idea!

I agree the 20" 590 is a wonderful gun (I love my 18.5" 500 better*), but you're right the 20" barrel with all those shells in the mag tube, heat shield, bayonet lug makes for a relatively front heavy, long, less-wieldy shotgun. Especially if you pile on even more stuff like shell holder, large format weapon light unit, etc.

I like the stripped-down 18"ers the best myself. (My 590 is quietly fuming in the safe as I say this.)

#35 DHart, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  16. B Coyote

B Coyote
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the compliment. I agree that blue/walnut looks good...but this is strictly a utility gun. Parkerizing is the only way to go, IMO.

I'm playing with adding a TLR-1 to my gun, even though my agency gun does not have one. I'm just deciding which mounting route I want to take. IMO, Surefire's dedicated forearms are the best way to mount a light, but they're just so pricey and the money simply isn't available.

bc

17. DHart

DHart
    Expand Collapse

bc... Honestly, I'm not much of a fan of the Surefire forearm. Surefire makes great quality products, generally, but I've read some complaints about the forearms and they're so bulky, expensive, and limited in applicability. I don't think they're that great of a choice for most folks.

The Streamlight TLR-1 can be moved from a pistol to a shotgun in a few seconds. Provides a superb, artifact-free beam; excellent user interface; neutral to ever-so-slightly-warm tint; quite bright with a good intense central spot giving way through a very smooth and even transition from the spot to a wide, and very bright spill area. I'm a bit of a flashaholic with a lot of great lights (including Surefires) and this TLR-1 really impresses me.

The TLR-1 at around $105 is the best weapon light going, in my view. It's as useful on a pistol as on a shotgun. At the moment it's on my G21SF, but will move to a shotgun in a few seconds.

And for attachment to a shotgun, all that's needed is a small bracket with a short picatiny strip. Scott at cdmgear.com provides some great solutions for this at moderate prices. Check out his BMT and MT. And if you already have a great 1" diameter light, consider his Mod-C.

http://www.cdmgear.com

As for the finish, yes, parked is more durable, great finish for a utility application for sure. But I'm easy on my guns, so the more beautiful blued finish works for me. ;) Either is a great choice!

Great gun and bag ya got there, buddy!

#37 DHart, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  18. B Coyote

B Coyote
    Expand Collapse

My comments in red. :)

bc

19. Shepherds_Hook_47

Shepherds_Hook_47
    Expand Collapse

awww.... sneaky bag is no more....

what happened to them?

20. B Coyote

B Coyote
    Expand Collapse

I don't know....they're just not there anymore. Which is sad, they made a good product.

bc