close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Remington 870 vs. Mossberg 500/590

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by KommieforniaGlocker, Feb 27, 2011.

1. 23caps

23caps

Mar 13, 2009
    Little River
    mossberg 500 mariner I spend alot of time on the water and the Moss spends alot of time in the boat

2. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Issued mossberg. Own 870. Previously issued Benelli Nova. Mossberg and 870 are pretty much the same in reliability, durability, and ease of use. I prefer the top mounted safety of a mossberg, but like an 870 better otherwise. But there's not enough difference between the two to care one way or the other. They both set the standard for pumps, and you can't go wrong with either.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  3. bluejackets92fs

bluejackets92fs I have bad aim

Oct 23, 2010
    SW Ohio
    870 is made with soft steel and the receiver is a PITA to take apart. The 500/590 is a little more rigid. The 590 is anodized finish and a heavier duty receiver. Depends what features you like though. As in the safety position, pump lock location. etc... I bought an 870 but a 590 is in my future.

4. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

Mar 1, 2001
    USA
    The steel and overall durability of the two is the same. Both are great guns.

5. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I own a Maverick 88 (same as 500)... LOVE it!... It's dual purpose for me- I have an 18" for home and a 28" for field... Owned it for 5 years now and have had to many shells through her to count.

[​IMG]

6. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    The receiver material in most any pump shotgun is irrelevant. The bolt locks into a steel receiver extension attached to the barrel on the Remington, Mossberg, and Benelli Nova. The receiver on a pump shotgun works much like the aluminum receiver on a AR-15. (which operates at several multiples of the pressure of even a magnum shotgun shell) The receiver on the pump shotgun merely provides a place to mount the trigger and action mechanism.

Likewise the trigger material (plastic or aluminum) is largely irrelevant. A modern Remington plastic triggerguard has WAY thicker plastic in it than say a Glock pistol frame which takes a MUCH harder pounding than a shotgun trigger group mounted in a steel receiver. Seriously, Google "Broken Remington Plastic 870 Trigger Group" and you will be hard pressed to find a website where someone is trying to fix a broken plastic trigger guard. You MIGHT find one about the Remington J lock safety--but I think Remington discontinued those.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both the Remington and Mossbe
    rg designs. The Mossberg top mounted safety is probably more intuitive on a traditio nally stocked gun but on a pistol gripped stock it sucks and the Remington Safety makes more sense.

The Mossberg 590 comes with a one piece extra long 20" magazine tube that beats Remington's extended tube from a mechanical simplicity and reliability standpoint by a mile. But most people don't have a problem with the extended tubes on Remingtons either. The Mossberg 590 has a heavy barrel which helps protect against dents and dings and also serves to make your swing on a moving target smoother with better follow thru.

The Mossberg and Remington balance differently as a result of the steel receiver vs the alloy receiver and the Mossberg has a 20" barrel (and two extra magazine capacity) than the Remington. This is neither good nor bad. You simply have to handle the guns for yourself and see which you prefer.

Both are great reliable combat proven shotguns. You can't go wrong either way--depending on how you intend to modify the gun (pistol grip butt stock or tradtional etc)

7. akgunnut

akgunnut

Feb 17, 2007
    Alaska
    I own both a Mossberg 590 and a Remington 870. Both are excellent shotguns that will get the job done. Both my 870 and 590 have 20" barrels. I used the 870 as my HD weapon but decided to give the 590 a try so I could turn my 870 into a sporting/hunting shotgun. I do like how the Mossberg's shell lifter is positioned better than the 870, as well as the location of the safety. You can't go wrong with either one though!

[​IMG]

Mossberg 590 Special Purpose

[​IMG]

Remington 870 Wingmaster

8. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A
    I have a Mossberg 500 Mariner also, because I wanted the Marinecote finish. I also liked the way it looked and handled (just the right heft, without being too light).

9. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    870 and Scattergun (Wilson) 870. We have hundreds of them at work that are three decades old and still function fine.

10. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I owned both in my lifetime. I also shot both Mossberg during my time with the FMF and Remington as a LEO. Today I own a Benelli SuperNova Tactical which has some of the best features from both shotguns and a few features that both dont even have.

It has...

slide release same as the Remington
    shell elevator same as the Mossberg
    safety button same as the Remington
    Ghost ring sights like the SPX and Remington Tactical.

Things it has that the other 2 dont have...

Polymer over mold receiver similar to a Glock magazine. Very durable.
    3 lug rotating bolt, steel on steel lock up. Similar to a bolt action.
    oversized trigger guard for winter gloves.
    shell stop button for quick loading of specialty rounds such as a slug.
    comes with the comfort tech stock system. recoil absorber.
    comes with sling studs built in ready to go.
    chrome lined barrel.
    forearm slides back over the load gate completely for shorter arms if needed? (my wife and kids can shoot it)
    chambered for 3.5" magnum shells for maximum versatility. Becomes a howitzer if needed!

Downside, kinda expensive and parts are harder to find but its built like a tank and if SHTF you wont be able to go to the store or order parts online anyway.
    [​IMG]

For the record, I'd be happy with either Remington or Mossberg really. All are proven by military and or LE. Its all about preference and you just read what my preference is.

11. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

Feb 17, 2008
    I own an 870 and a M500 and like them both. I have a PG shoulder stock on the 870 and the controls work better for that setup. The M500 is lighter and I like its safety with the conventional stock. Both are very reliable and robust shotguns. Buy the one that fits you best.

12. I have a 20'' 590 mariner and a 18.5'' 500. I like them both.
    I prefer the safety position of the mossberg.

[​IMG]

13. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A
    I guess I should add that I also have an NEF Pardner Protector pump, which is basically a Remington 870 clone. I have that and the 500 Mariner pump (both with 18.5" barrels), and would count on either one to accurately and repeatedly place 00 buckshot where needed.

14. dc2integra

dc2integra

Oct 3, 2009
    You can go wrong with either one I recomend you go to a gun shop and check them out and see which one you lke better.I picked the mossberg 500 I like the safety position and its lighter tan the 870.

15. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    I currently own 16 shotguns.

2 of them are Mossberg. One 12 ga. One .410. Neither have been taken out of their box(es). The only reason I own them. . . . I won them in two different raffles. I am seriously considering selling them. My son wants to keep the .410. (I got no use for either!)

1 is a Beretta Silver Pigeon O/U.

1 is a Remington 11-87 Youth 20 ga.
    2 are Remington 1100 12 ga.

The remainder are Remington 870, 1 of which is 20 ga., the rest 12 ga.

I used to have a Mossberg 500 12 ga. I had numerous problems with it, and even the Mossberg factory couldn't get it right.
    Personally, I have no use for a Mossberg. I can't trust my life to them.

None of my 870s has ever failed. Can't say the same for Mossberg.

YMMV.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  16. I own both, like both, trust both. None of them have failed me yet.

The 870 is a 12 ga and one of the first Express Combo models from the early/mid 1980's. Has a 28" vent Rib and a 20" rifle sight barrels. It was my only shotgun for a long time. I've used it to kill deer, ducks, grouse, squirrel, and lots of clay pigeons.

I have 2 12 ga 500's and a 20 ga. I have more of the Mossbergs because one of my sons shoots left handed, the safety position of the Mossberg works much better when the gun is switched back and forth between us. I also picked a couple of them up very cheap.

I think the 870 is a bit smoother gun out of the box, but the Mossbergs smooth out after some use.

Can't go wrong with either one.

17. megawatt

megawatt Electron maker

Feb 2, 2011
    Las Vegas
    [​IMG]

I just picked up a 590A1 persuader, I was going back and forth about the 870 remmy police model or the mossy. I figured both would do me just fine but in the end it was how the 590A1 felt in my hands. Maybe it doesn't make a difference but some of the features that I did like are:

1. The streamline ability to carry 9 ea 12 ga shells without any external shell holders due to the feedspeed stock and extended tube.
    2. Dual extractors
    3. Shell elevator out of the way during reloads
    4. Never going pistol grip so safety position is perfect for me
    5. Ghost sights

Like others have commented already, I feel like either would get the job done without a problem.

18. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    500. It was cheaper for the features on that given day. I could flip a coin. It doesn't matter. Equally functional, equally reliable. controls are a moot point they both have pros/cons. You learn to use whatever you have.

Thus it was price and availability.

19. dsa1115

dsa1115

Sep 22, 2010
    Suburban Chicago
    In my opinion you're splitting hairs, and think you'd be well equipped with either pump.