close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Remington 870 Van Comp Extension Update

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Big Bird, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Well, I discovered something today that kind of caught me off guard. As many of you know I posted a while back that my Remington 870 will hold 7 shells in the magazine when using the Vang Comp mag extension. Well, that's still true but with a caveat. Not ALL 2 3/4 ammo will allow 7 rounds in the extension. When I tried some Federal 2 3/4 Tactical loads this weekend I could only get 6 in the tube. But my Winchester Ranger 2 3/4" low recoil loads had no problem with 7 in the magazine. Also, I had no problem fitting 7 rounds on several brands of birdshot in the Vang Comp tube. So here's the deal. There's a BIG variation in the length of standard 2 3/4 shells (BTW they are NOT 2 3/4" loaded....that's supposed to be the un-crimped un-loaded shell length.) But when I got home and set them up side by side on the bench--sure enough the Federal shells are a good 1/8" longer. Stack six of em end to end and that's 3/4"!

So I stand by what i posted before--that my Vang Comp still holds 7 shells...but it depends on the specific shells you are using.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  2. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    You may be over-compressing the spring with 7 of the shorter shells.

3. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY

Ehh...If you put six 3" magnums in it the compression is about the same. I talked to Hans Vang about it a couple of weeks ago and he told me not to sweat it either when I asked him that specific question.

4. Strawberry 5

Strawberry 5

Aug 29, 2010
    Can you use the Vang spring in the standard Express factory extended tube ?

5. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Ehh..okay. FWIW, 7 2.75" shells are longer than 6 3" shells. I'd go by whatever Vang says.

6. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    [​IMG]

I took a picture of some factory shells so everyone can see the tremendous variation in Shotshell length within a given shell size. These are all 2 3/4" factory shells from left to right. Notice the significant difference in length among these factory standard 2 3/4" shells!

Brenneke Classic 1 1/8 ounce Classic Slug
    Federal #4 Buck Low Recoil Tactical Load
    Winchester Ranger 00 Buck--9 pellet--Low Recoil
    Remington 00 Buck 9 pellet High Velocity
    Federal 00 Buck 9 pellet LE Tactical load.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011