close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Remington 870 Tactical.

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by MartinRiggs1987, Nov 28, 2011.

1. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987

Oct 24, 2009
    Indiana
    What modifications, different stocks, side saddles, etc, do you reccomend for a 870 Tactical? If nothing else, what sites should I look at?

2. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Kansas
    You only change something that doesn't work for you. What doesn't work for you ? Don't change things just to be changing them.

I subscribe to the KISS theory. Keep It Simple ******. My 870 is exactly that. Rifle sight barrel for slugs or buck. Wood for aesthetics.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

3. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    ArmoryDoc - I hear by award your weapon the AI&P Tactical "Two thumbs and a Pecker Straight Up" award. That is a fighting shotgun you have. No tacti-fool mess on it and built for business.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  4. I like a Speedfeed IV-S stock on my 870P, but if it's comfortable, leave it be. Maybe switch your extractor to a milled one.

5. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Kansas
    LOL. Thank you aippi. I wanted strictly a fighting gun. No "Gucchi" purse to hang off it. No "plug in designer name" bling bling with batteries to burn out or screws to back out. It's purpose built and it's purpose is not to garner approval from the "tacti-crap" crowd. It is a fighting gun.

The sights are for putting slugs on target. The 18.5" barrel is for maneuverability. Extended mag tube obviously for a few more rounds. Barrel clamp to keep mag tube from stressing at the threads with heavy loads and unscrewing.

Walnut furniture is two-fold. Primarily because I love the wood-grain walnut retro look but also because if ya gotta butt-stroke something, ya want it to break it. Plastic stocks and rubber butt pads ain't gonna do it nearly as well. :wavey:

6. ilmonster

ilmonster

Mar 31, 2009
    Before making any modifications, put a whole lot of rounds downrange to see if there is anything that you feel you are missing. I myself have a 20" IC barrel'd 870 with only a bead sight, but have plenty of rounds downrange to be comfortable with it, even at night, in the dark when something goes bump. A big fan of KISS. As others also say, it's the software, not the hardware that will get you through a tough situation.

7. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

Aug 8, 2005
    Rocking the Casbah
    Make changes only if you have a demonstrated need for them, not because you have dreams and hopes that have little bearing in reality.

Shoot your gun for awhile and then see if there's something you need to change for your legitimate uses. Keep it simple and basic and only deviate from there. Know and practice the rules before you break them.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  8. XDfense

XDfense

Nov 3, 2010
    Great minds think alike. Do I get an award from aippi too? BTW, I got the barrel from him.

[​IMG]

9. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    Hell yes, you also get the AI&P Tactical "Two Thumbs and a Pecker Straight Up" award.

The AR-15 was offered to the Civilian market simply so guys would have a weapon to junk up and hang everything in the world on. A platform for tacti-fool fools to junk up and make useless for anything but show.

Clint Smith has been telling guys for years to keep defense shotguns simple. I have carried on this theme since the begining of AI&P Tactical and have managed to have a sucessfull business without selling guys hundreds of dollars worth of tacti-fool mess on their weapons.

The two weapons posted on this thread are as deadly a weapon as you bring to a fight and in the right hands nothing, not one single weapon of all the ones out there will be more dealy in a close quarters gun fight. Believe that and you build a weapon like these two guys did. Fail to accept that and you may suffer due to your own folly.

10. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    IMO only necessary addition is a Surefire Fore-end.

My patrol shotgun is a 870. It has a Surefire fore-end, sling, and a side saddle.

My HD gun is a Mossberg 500, it is bare bones.

With shotguns, less is more.

11. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

Aug 8, 2005
    Rocking the Casbah
    You know, with a half naked Eric Estrada as your avatar, I'm pretty sure you made up the stuff about your shotgun just so you would get the "pecker straight up" award.

:tongueout:

12. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Kansas
    Hahahahahaha ! Oh my !!! :rofl:

13. Clint believes in running with what you already have and being proficient with it. Believe me he does have what he considers elaborate shotguns and uses them.

14. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    Sure, but what is his go to HD that sits by his bed? Bet it ain't got a bunch of mess on it.

Nothing wrong with having range toys. The problem comes in when a guy thinks he needs that mess and that it somehow gives him a edge when the truth is that mess slows him down and can get him dead.

15. Get whatever you like but be sure to practice with it. KISS is fine but that doesn't mean other add-ons are necessarily going to be a bad thing. Don't discount things that might benefit you just because someone tries to tell you to follow a KISS doctrine.

For me, a shorter barrel, side saddle, and a 12" LOP stock is a good add-on. I light would also be a good investment.

16. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    I put a Tac-Star 6 round side saddle on mine. Pretty much all it needs. Hard to beat an 870 with 13 rounds of 00 Buck on hand within arms reach when you hear that bump in the night. :cool:

[​IMG]

17. Kaybe

Kaybe

Sep 30, 2009
    Brownells, Midway USA and Cheaper Than Dirt are places that have stuff for the 870. Be sure that the stuff you want is stuff that you need. There are several items out there to separate you from your money. Over-sized tactical safety button is one of them. Simple and specific to meet your needs. Folding stock, collapsible M4 style stock, side saddle and so on. I would definitely get a light. A light may mean the difference between shooting a family member or a bad guy. Target ID is critical. Fiber optic sights, even just a bar for the front bead will really help. Just my opinions. Best of luck to you.

18. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Apr 1, 2011
    Carolina
    Damn, no one told me :rofl:
    [​IMG]