close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Remington 870 Police shotgun???

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by tonyparson, Sep 21, 2011.

1. tonyparson

tonyparson

Jan 20, 2008
    Dayton, TN.
    Okay guys I know nothing about shotguns and a friend of mine has a new in the box Remington 870 Police shotgun, it has rifled night sites and speedfeed stock and forearm. Can you tell me if this is a good home defence gun and what would be a good price to offer on it? He owes me $600 and he said I can have the shotgun and call it even. Thanks for any info on this..

2. Kaybe

Kaybe

Sep 30, 2009
    The 870 is a great shotgun. Reliable, sturdy, plenty of accessories to put on it to make it anyway you want. Check out Brownell's or MidwayUSA for all the parts to put on it. Great home defense shotgun, with the proper loads. But I think $ 600 is too much for it. On sale, you can get some 870's for $300 bucks. The night sights and the stocks don't add up to another $300 bucks. The speedfeed stock usually comes standard on most L.E. shotguns. This gun is parkerised, has a 20 inch or 18 inch barrel, black synthetic stocks. Night sights are not that expensive. Just my opinion.

3. It's a great home defense gun.

Brand new in the box they are $500.

4. tonyparson

tonyparson

Jan 20, 2008
    Dayton, TN.
  5. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  6. tonyparson

tonyparson

Jan 20, 2008
    Dayton, TN.
  7. method

method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    Slugs. They can be done with just a bead too, but I've never heard someone complain that a gun's sights were too good.

oh yeah...try for the gun and $300 cash.

8. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

Jan 6, 2009
    Dub V
    The POlice model is made differently than the express, some stronger parts and is assembled by hand if it is a true 870P. The Express models are made form cheaper parts but still excellent guns ( I have one) The 870 P and the Wingmasters are smoother and better built shotguns overall. Thats why they cost a couple more hundred. If the gun is NIB then it isnt a bad deal really. If hes a good friend then you wil be off your 600 by 50bcks give or take depending where you shop.

9. Aippi will be along shortly to debunk this.

10. sciolist

sciolist

Nov 11, 2009
    PNW
    I have a rifle sight bbl on my 870 and love it. Much easier to shoot shot with rifle sights than slugs with bead, IMO. Rifle sights do not really slow me down with shot, but greatly improve accuracy with slugs. Would probably go with XS for purely HD gun.

You can always buy the bbl separately.

11. tonyparson

tonyparson

Jan 20, 2008
    Dayton, TN.
    Like I said I know nothing about shotguns. I always thought you had to have a bird shot barrel and a slug barrel. I didnt know you could shoot both sells out of the same barrel. I really appreciate the info you guys gave me here. I've learned alot.

12. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

Aug 8, 2005
    Rocking the Casbah
    That's nice, Mr. Tonyparson. Now go shoot the ***** out of it and report back with the results.

13. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    :blondmoment: just no...

14. Jay S.

Jay S.

Sep 1, 2004
    The Deep South
    Yup. I just bought the exact same model the OP was looking at. The only real difference is the tritium rifle sights and the parkerized finish, which is much better IMHO. The other parts are not really any more durable that I can see.

15. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

Jan 6, 2009
    Dub V
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_870

Excerpt from Wikipedia....

Variants

There are hundreds of variations of the Remington 870. From the original fifteen models offered, Remington currently produces dozens of models for civilian, law enforcement, and military sales. 870 variants can be grouped into:
    • Wingmaster – Blued steel with high gloss or satin walnut stocks. Originally the Wingmaster was only chambered for 2 3/4" rounds and came with a fixed modified choke. Newer models offer the RemChoke Interchangeable choke tube system, the 12-guage model chambered in either 2 3/4" or 3". Prior to the introduction of the "Police" model 870, altered Wingmasters were popular among law enforcement.
    • Police – Blued or Parkerized steel with satin walnut, stained hardwood, or synthetic stocks. Action parts are heavy-duty and these models receive extra care and inspections during assembly.
    • Marine – Nickel plated with synthetic stocks.
    • Express – Matte black bead-blasted with laminated hardwood or synthetic stocks.
    • Express Super Magnum – Chambered for 3½" 12 gauge shotshells.
    • XCS - TriNyte coated external metal and nickel plated internals with speedfeed stocks
    Ill leave it at this...

16. Kaybe

Kaybe

Sep 30, 2009
    A couple of the differences are: Magazine spring of the LE model is held in by a piece of steel. Civilian is plastic. Action parts are the same. Almost all of the internals are interchangeable with another 870 of the same gauge. It was made to be as "drop in" as possible. Finishes, stocks, purposes of the barrels- those are different. The insides are the same. I have been to the 870 armorer's school 4 times. Robots carry the parts to different stations to be cut or whatever needs to be done. The Remington plant is very automated. EACH receiver starts as an eight pound block of steel and is cut down to the receiver shape and size. Not sure of the exact weight. Civilian mag tube has dimples in it to keep it the same mag capacity. LE does not have that. LE has a steel cap like device that keeps the spring in. Thickness of mag tube, receiver and so on are all the same. Each one is tested, proof tested before it leaves the factory. 10 million of them have been made, they are doing something right. The Wingmaster cost more due to extra stock checkering, gloss blue finish and so on- these extra things cost extra money to do. They are not "better" internally. Just my opinion

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  17. method

method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    Shoulda just left it alone....and don't cite Wikipedia, that's never a great idea for trying to prove a point. This topic has been well discussed round here.

18. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

Jan 6, 2009
    Dub V
    Well Wikipedia may not be th best source, but I know I have talked to my own friends who are ATF trained Firearms examiners and who have been to the Remington factory itself, plus the armorers course. I may have mis-spoke about the hand assembly, butthe wingmasters and P models are know to have smoother actions. There are some differences in the models, or Remington would make them different. Departments wouldnt buy them either, they would just buy the epxress and be done with it.

I am not saying either is less quality but the P and Wingmasters are built with a little more care and different parts in some aspects.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  19. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    Again, again and again. Go to the Remington parts list and find these so called heavier parts. You will not find them as they do not exist. There is only one 870 and all the parts internally are the same except to the two we have listed on this site dozens of times. And the cost difference in those parts is less then $7 to $10 depending on the model. And if you have the Express HD the 18.5 Bead sight barrel that came on that cost $134 and the 18.5" bead sight barrel that comes on the 870 Police cost $101 so there goes most of your conception about these weapons right there.

Since every 870 is the same you should pick the model based on the finish and furniture you want.

20. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    While we are on the topic of 870P vs. 870E do the 870P shotguns now come with plastic triggerguards like the 870E shotguns?