close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Remington 870 Express 18" Finish Question.

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Made in Austria, Oct 25, 2011.

1. SmithietheFox

SmithietheFox Stoner63A

Feb 28, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    Purchased one 5 years ago and no matter how "clean" I get it, after a few days when I pull it out of the closet there is light rust covering almost a quarter of the gun. Had I known that before I purchased it I'd have looked at a Mossberg.

2. CrackerKen

CrackerKen

Oct 25, 2009
    Lakeland, FL
    I've had my Mossberg M590A1 sitting in the corner of my bedroom for 9 months now. No hint of rust. However, mine is parkerized.

3. BossGodfrey

BossGodfrey

Apr 27, 2010
    The finish is **** ! Remington QA has gone down hill period. When I was at the prison two years ago, they ordered four new 870's. Model 5077 with the two shot ext. First day on the range two of them failed to load a second round because of a damn burr in the mag tube. Had to spend 30 minutes with a rat tail file to get them to load all five in the tube. There is no excuse for that bull**** period. From now on I'll spend the extra 80.00 and get a 590 ! Remington can suck it !

4. Inebriated

Inebriated

Feb 20, 2012
    The Express is a shotgun built to meet a price point.

Don't expect Police/Wingmaster quality without paying Police/Wingmaster prices.

5. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    NV
    The cheap Express finish comes off way too easy with 600 grit paper and a few minutes of elbow grease. You can completely strip the barrel, for example, in about 2 minutes. Comes right off.

Since Remington can't produce a non-rusting finish on the Express, they should include a $30 Duracote do-it-yourself kit in every box, which is 1000x more durable.

6. I have one 870P in Cerakote, and it has been great. The other two are factory parked, probably about 10 years old. They were all part of the same batch that Bud's Police Supply had from Nebraska State Police. The two parked guns, I just spray generously with Rem Oil, leave 'em standing barrel down to let the excess run off, and after a day or so of drip dry, they are good to go. Using this method, I have never even had to wipe the excess oil off. Of course, i do keep some strong dessicant in the safe.

If it were not for the fact that we are issued 870s, and qualify with same, I would probably go with Mossberg.

7. owl6roll

owl6roll

Sep 9, 2004
    ALABAMA
    Huuummmm....really? Not had a problem!! CLP is a good thing.

8. BossGodfrey

BossGodfrey

Apr 27, 2010
    What I expect for 350.00 is a freakin shotgun that will function without filing on it for twenty minutes first. Maybe that's to much to ask from Remington now !

9. captdreifus

captdreifus aSun666

Jul 24, 2008
    Tempe, Arizona
    Are you guys also finding rust on the bolt, bolt face, and inside the chamber area?

10. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    just exterior surface rust on mine before gunkote

11. The Outrage

The Outrage

May 29, 2009
    I have a Remington 870 with the "Tactical Gray" power coating. It is rusting on the receiver, which is making the gray powder coating bulge, and it is rusting on the magazine tube, which uses the regular "crude" black finish. Personally, I wouldn't purchase an 870 again.

12. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

The finish is bad, and has been for several years. I know my cousin bought one and his started showing rust. Mine is a regular synthetic 26" but I put a Hogue stock and forearm on it. Added a 18" Remchoke barrel and a Wilson 2 shot mag extension.

I covered the receiver in Militec and then took a paper towel and just used some elbow grease and kinda scrubbed on it, and it's actually helped it a lot. The finish is lousy but it doesn't rust whenever I touch it anymore. The easiest way is to just always wipe it down after you touch it.

13. whitebread

whitebread ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nov 29, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    My 870 express with stock finish will show some rust colored discoloration after a day of hunting in the rain, but it will wipe off with some Ballistol. All guns need to be cared for regardless of what finish they have...even stainless steel ones.