close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Remember when

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Bruce M, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I longingly remember a time when the selection and price of ammunition was appreciably better at the gun show than at Walmart

2. 82ndVet

82ndVet

Dec 15, 2008
    Canton, GA
    Are they jacking up the price at the shows now? I haven't been to one in a couple of years, but will be going in Feb. to a local show. What should I be expecting as far as price? Examples would help alot....

3. fiasconva

fiasconva

May 4, 2008
    York County, VA
    Law of supply and demand. If Walmart doesn't have it and you need some, the only place you can find it may be at a gun show. Then you have to decide if it's worth the price.

4. G23c

G23c

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, texas
    I agree, every now and then there are good prices on milsurp,

5. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Last weekend I went to a nice sized local gunshow. I found the price of most ammo to be higher than the same item at Wal-Mart. That in itself did not bother me as I figure on WWB, etc., Wal-Mart is likely to have the best price. What did concern me was to see reloaded .45 ACP with lead bullets priced the same as jacketed ball ammo at Wal-Mart. And the idea that reloaded jacked ball would cost even more was to me rediculious. On the other hand, I did find numerous sellers offering various SD/HD ammo at prices only slightly higher than what one might pay ordering on-line. I only found one person selling primers... any size rifle or pistol for $34/1000. I did not buy any as a local shop has them for $31/1000. Sincerely. Brucev.

6. 82ndVet

82ndVet

Dec 15, 2008
    Canton, GA
    So, it would almost be like the online price with shipping, if you were buying somewhere around 6-10 boxes...?

7. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Colorado
    I longingly remember when Wally World always had ammo in stock, and it wasn't all that difficult to find online deals that beat their prices - even when shipping costs were factored in.

As far as gun shows go, I can't remember the last time I found a good ammo deal at one. Now I go just to laugh at the prices people are charging. I know ammo isn't as plentiful as it used to be, but still, I don't know anyone in their right mind who would pay $40 for a WWB 100 round value pack of 9mm or $400 for a case of Wolf 7.62x39. I did see these prices at the last show I was at a couple months ago.

8. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    This morning WalMart-

40 Cal $14 357 Sig $23 22-250 $19 300 win mag and 7mm Rem magnum $26 The 555 box of 22 lr $15
    Of course no 9mm in stock

Noon time Gun show (Lauderdale) no 22-250 300 win mag $27

Didnt see and 7mm Rem Mag 357 Sig $23 The 33 box of 22 lr $15

The only thing close to a "deal" was the guy up on the stage who had 9mm at $13 a box It was either Fiochi or Sellier and Bellot I forgot which - zi should have wrote it down. Of course I should have bought Microsoft stock on day two

9. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
  10. Glock2Day

Glock2Day

Jul 4, 2015
  11. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I have two WMs to choose from in west-central NH.

12. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    I can get any ammo I want at the local gun shop, especially the more odd calibers. Walmart sucks.

:supergrin:

13. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    For .44 Magnum loads I have to travel 65 miles to a gun store (Riley's in Hooksett, NH),

14. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    14m to DJs in Bothell, for anything from 25acp to 460 Weatherby

15. G23c

G23c

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, texas
    interesting to see what was going on 4 1/2 years ago. not much better now,

16. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    Years ago I bought locally and at gun shows.
    These days?
    Almost exclusively online.

Although I've moved from Tampa to Phoenix.
    And the LGS here has some pretty good prices.
    Including bulk 9mm.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  17. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    I don't have much problem finding cheap JHP range ammo locally, but for JHP self-defense rounds ordering from Internet ammo sources is the only way to go for me. And if I'm a bit low on range ammo I can just order that along with the CCW rounds at prices as good or better as those Wal-Mart charges.

18. Kentguy

Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Yes I do remember purchasing ammo before the days of Wal-Mart.
    Up here in my neck of the woods, we have 2 WM's with in 10 minutes of each other... Go figure? But I have never been able to find any caliber or bullet weight that was looking for. Gun shows many years ago was "the place" to find most any rifle cartridge(s) that you were looking for. Today - prices are just too high to make searching for this or that type of ammo. I still go to several of our local gun shows thought... sometimes you never know what you might find.

We have two larger sporting goods stores within an easy driving distance that are (usually) well stocked with ammo and prices are about as good as I have found. So if you live or up in the N.E. Ohio area, you should check either of these places out.

http://kamessports.com/
    https://www.finfeatherfur.com/

Sorry to sound like a commercial...

19. banger

banger

Nov 8, 2005
    Where evil lives
    In MY OPINION, Gun shows have priced themselves out of the market.

It is absurd that I can find better prices in the Sunday paper advertisements than I can at gun shows.

Plus, when you factor in admission and driving... I can get what I want cheaper locally.

Our local shows still have CCI Mini-Mags at $60-70 per 500.

My local D*ck's sell them at $45.00/500.

Still too high, but cheaper than the shows.

Why travel.

20. dervisivitz dokes

dervisivitz dokes Micheal D Dokes

Feb 1, 2015
    River Rouge MI
    Gun show prices are ridiculous these days. $70 for a 525 round brick of thunderbolts? I think these guys just want to show off their stuff and don't care if they sell anything. I can buy new guns online cheaper than what these clowns are asking for the same guns used.