close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Rem 870 vs Moss Maverick 88... buying extra barrel and stock or new gun?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Ocean_glocker, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hey everyone,
    I have a Remington 870 with a 28" barrel that I use for Skeet/trap and hopefully soon hunting. And I was talking with the wife about getting different stocks, extended mag and shorter barrel for home use. But after looking at my 'cart' on midway(~$200), I could just go the Academy and buy a Mossberg Mav. 88 Home Defense gun (~$189)...

It would be great to have 2 guns, so that I don't have to swap barrels/stocks, but its not that big of a deal.

So the question is, which would you rather trust your family's lives with?

Thank...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  2. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    Do you know what kind of mess you just started with this question? :rofl:

If it were me, I would buy the shorter barrel for my 870 and call it a day. I don't need the extended mag, or different stock for a home defense shotgun. Or, you could search the pawn shops and gun stores for a used Wingmaster in that price range, and cut the barrel down.

With that said, there is nothing wrong with a Maverick 88. Good value for the money. Most accessories for the Mossberg 500 will work with the Maverick 88 to make it tacticool, if that is what you are going after.

3. jp 19

jp 19

Jun 11, 2000
    caledonia
    check your gun shows. I picked up a new 870 express for $149... (call it extreme negotiation skills) then I checked the forums for a short barrel found a nice 18" for $90.... added a Big Dot and there you go! this was a couple years ago YMMV. I personally do not care for Mossberg... mho

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    Get the mossberg barrel for the Rem 870 and a white light and call it good.

5. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Sep 21, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    Thanks for your help, I will have to keep my eye out for a affordable barrel. Now I have to start looking up lights and light brackets

6. Motor City Glocker

Motor City Glocker Gun Addict

Sep 28, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I went with the Maverick 88 Security Model (7+1 capacity). The safety is of the bolt type (on front of the triggerguard and out of the way). Upgrades are easy as most parts for the Mossberg 500 series fit the Maverick (I put a pistol grip with adjustable buttstock on mine). It makes the ideal tactical shotgun for home defense. You also can't beat the price!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011