close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rem 870 Tactical w/ghost ring sights shoots high. Now what?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by sharpshooter, Dec 15, 2011.

1. sharpshooter

sharpshooter
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

My new 870 Express Tactical with factory XS ghost ring sights shoots high. *Now what? *

First shots w/slugs at 25 yards were 12" high and 12" right. *I adjusted the rear sight all the way down and it still shot 6" high same distance. *I got the windage adjusted but the rear sight is cranked way over to the left almost as far as it goes. *Same results with buckshot and birdshot, all shoot high at all distances with a modified choke and a cylinder choke. *At 10 yards it's still a solid 3-4" high. *

Now what? Nothing looks crooked or anything. I removed the rear sight and rail and reassembled it, no change when I shot it again, still high.*I tried drifting the front sight over with a wood dowel ant it fell out. I pushed the front sight blade back into center position with my thumb. *It stayed put after 20 shots but is it supposed to be that easy to push?

Winchester bulk slugs and 00 buckshot
    Federal bulk 7.5 shot
    Factory tactical choke
    Carlson's modified choke
    Using a center hold sight picture
    Shot from front sandbag and standing
    Distances lasered w/rangefinder

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. aippi

aippi
    Expand Collapse

Install a higher front blade. Drift the front sight to make up for windage errors of those sights. Once you have the sight in the place it needs to be then glue it there.

3. sharpshooter

sharpshooter
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Do you know off hand which brand makes a taller one that will fit? Any dot sight will work for me, tritium too. Thanks!

4. aippi

aippi
    Expand Collapse

There are multiple front sights out there for your weapon. Not sure what front sight you have as I have never seen that model except in pictures. There are two sizes of front Rifle sights for the Remington Barrels. The low one has an oval base that sticks over each side of the sight base. The High one fits flush. Part number for the high sight is #94084 and retails on the Remington Parts list for $8. Ask for this by part number only and you will get the right one. It is on the model 700 parts list. All rifle sight parts for the shotguns barrels are on the 700 parts list so don't let the cubical clown taking the order confuse you.

You will spend much more for tritium sights and none sell simply the front that I know of. Trijicon front sights are the Highest, Zone 3 is also a high sight. Meprolight is lower then the others.

Install the Remington part I gave you should reslove the high point of impact issue you have.

#4 aippi, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  5. sharpshooter

sharpshooter
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

This is what I have, (pics from the internet) front sight base looks soldered on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. aippi

aippi
    Expand Collapse

that is a low profile sight. Put the one that I have gave you a part number for and your high point of impact issue is over.

7. sharpshooter

sharpshooter
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Thank you! Also thanks for the tutorials on your web site, they were very helpful for a first time 870 owner.

8. sharpshooter

sharpshooter
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Couldn't find part 94084. Maybe they renumbered the parts?

This it?
    [​IMG]

9. aippi

aippi
    Expand Collapse

I am trying to help you with your issue. What you are showing in your last post is not from the Remington Parts list. It most likely the Remington Country store which is not even ran by Remington but by a Vendor on contract from Remington and they don't know squirt. Don't trust other sites to get you the right part. Call Remington at 800-243-9700 and follow the prompts to parts. when the customer service rep answers, order part number 94084 as that is the High sight.

So, your post is the wrong part from the often incorrect Remington Country store. And yes, I know more about this then they do.

10. sharpshooter

sharpshooter
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Ok, thanks!

11. G19Tony

G19Tony
    Expand Collapse
    Sneet
    CLM

I have the exact same shotgun and mine is right on. Strange. :dunno:

I did get a regular IC choke and got rid of the breacher choke. :whistling:

12. sharpshooter

sharpshooter
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I got the part ordered but it's on back order and won't ship for 3-4 weeks. Any other sources for this part?

13. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd
    Expand Collapse

I have the same shotgun and a similar POI issue; worse with slugs than buckshot though. When practicing at 7 and 15 yards, the problem isn't as noticeable, but is more pronounced at 25 yards.

I'm considering swapping the original barrel with screw-in chokes for a fixed choke barrel. I'm not through testing yet, but it seems like this barrel delivers patterns with BK that are more open and irregular than the ones that my IC barrel produced.

You may consider mounting a red dot to address the problem also.

14. sharpshooter

sharpshooter
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I've considered a red dot since it has a rail, and I'm not interested. I purchased this more expensive model with ghost ring sights so I wouldn't have to pay a gunsmith to drill/tap the budget model at $25/hole and wait 4-6 weeks for the "service".

Interestingly, this is the second American made firearm I've purchased this year with the same exact problem of a too short front sight. No it's not just me, the problem was verified by another shooter. The other was a .22 rifle that had to be returned to the factory to get repaired and that took 3 months to get back.

15. oneg

oneg
    Expand Collapse

My 870 has the same issue. I sent it to Remington but when I got it back it had the same issue. I thought they would bend the barrel down but it still shoots high. On the bright side it is perfectly sighted for 1oz slugs at 200 meters.

16. sharpshooter

sharpshooter
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Interesting to see there are several others with the same issue...

17. sharpshooter

sharpshooter
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

XS front sight on the left, Remington #94084 on the right.
    [​IMG]

I installed the new taller sight. It is loose in the dovetail slot, I can easily push it back and forth with my fingers. It could easily fall out on accident. I'll have to glue it in place...

But it DID fix the elevation. It now shoots exactly to point of aim with slugs/00buck/shot at 40 yards.

But the rear ghost ring is still screwed all the way down as low as it will go, so there is no room to adjust the point of impact higher if I wanted to. So the sight actually needs to be a little bit taller, but oh well.

Also the rear sight is still pushed ALL THE WAY to the left. Here it is from the muzzle end looking back.
    [​IMG]

There is no more room for adjustment. Sure it works, but it's clearly off center. I bring the rifle up naturally centered on my shoulder and eye, but then I have to lean over to the left to compensate for the sight being so far off. That's messed up. I will ship this rifle back to Remington to get both sights repaired as soon as hunting season is over (double duty hunting/HD gun). For now it's at least usable.

18. sharpshooter

sharpshooter
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Note: The Remington sight is a POS compared to the XS sight. It's rough in texture, loose in the dovetail slot, and the dot is not round.

19. Aceman

Aceman
    Expand Collapse

I do not get the fascination with Ghost rings on HD shotguns...

Deer with a slug way out there? Yep.

Bad guy with buck in my foyer? Nope.

#19 Aceman, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  20. seamastersw

seamastersw
    Expand Collapse

I have the same gun and had the same problem. I called Remington and asked for them to send me a taller front sight. They asked the serial # and then sent on out to me at no charge. As for the windage issue, I have the same problem. There really isn't anyway to center the rear sight unless you drift the front sight the opposite direction which gives a terrible sight picture. I wish Remington would have a little better QC with this sight system because it is great on paper. I also took that silly choke off. I shoot a variety of loads and one is the federal flight control wad. The wad expands inside the choke and the holes shave plastic off, plus it ruins the pattern with the wad. I put in a simple improved cylinder and couldn't be happier.