Rem 870 Ejection problems?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by LawrenceArchery, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Hey guys, my brother just picked up an 870, Express Magnum I think it was, at Gander Mountain the other day. We went out to shoot some skeet On Christmas Eve and his gun would not eject the shells. His gun will eject fine if you load and unload it but if you shoot the shell then it hangs up when you try to pump it. You had to slightly slam the stock down on the ground to get it to eject. The shells were some 2 3/4 Winchester bird or skeet shot. My shotgun ran the shells fine. Ya'll have any ideas on this. One other note of aggravation, Gander is making him pay $30 bucks to ship the brand new gun back to get it fixed. I personally think that kind of sucks. The gun should function when you buy it and if it doesn't they should pick up the repair cost. I think Gander offered him some kind of protection plan that he chose not to purchase but if it doesn't work right out of the box I think they should pick up the cost. Anyway I'm sure he'll get it fixed. Don't know if this is a common problem but I would think it's not. I've had pretty good luck out of my Remingtons.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Those with ejection problems General Glocking Dec 15, 2014
    Glock 20 Ejection Problems with Hot Loads General Glocking Dec 23, 2012
    New Glock 19 gen 4 ejection problems General Glocking Dec 3, 2012
    I think I solved my Gen 4 ejection problems General Glocking Oct 22, 2012
    Gen 3 G26 ejection problems General Glocking Oct 5, 2012

3. Polish the chamber.

4. O.k. We'll take a look at it when we get it back. I guess it would only help either way.
  5. I was in a hurry when I typed that. Some of the Express models have been known to have rough chambers and polishing it has helped. Hope it helps y'all.
  6. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member
    Millennium Member

Google it. Common problem, easy fix. Also Win bulk 12g is generally considered crap.
  7. Should have gotten online before shipping the gun back. Maybe something as simple as the gun not liking the ammo you tried.

First thing you do to diagnose a gun malfunction is try different ammo.
  8. Thanks for the help. All the other guns were running the ammo fine. I know the shells were cheap that's why they bought them to just mess around and shoot skeet with. I personally wouldn't feel very good about a new gun that is real picky. It's not like a semi auto that needs good high brass shells. I assumed an 870 would run what ever. Anyway we'll definitely take a look at polishing the chamber. Thanks for the tips.
  9. Not all semi auto’s need good high brass shells. I have a Benelli M2 Tactical with 500 shells through it. It has been 100% malfunction free even with 400 of those shells being the chip low brass Winchester Universal loads I buy at Wal-Mart in their 100 shell value pack. Polish the chamber, wooden dowel, steel wool and power drill. Good luck with your 870.

Benelli M2.jpg
  10. I have the same prob with my 870. I polished the chamber and it got a little better but its still not reliable. I need to go back in and do some more polishing.
  11. Tango 1Zero

Millennium Member

Had the same problem. The lock on the top of the bolt had burs on mine. Its where the square lock bolts up into the square hole on the barrel. Took it apart and filed it and cleaned it up. No more problems after that.
  12. Thanks for the advice. We'll look these parts over and file and polish everything we get the gun back. I didn't won't to work on the gun before since I didn't know what the problem was. I was afraid if we messed with it but were not able to fix it they might acuse us of screwing it up.