close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

rem 700 loadout and questions

Discussion in 'GATE Long-Range Shooting' started by srice425, Nov 30, 2011.

1. srice425

srice425
    Expand Collapse

hello. im getting my first long range gun, mainly for target and hunting. (deer, elk, etc.) i was looking at the rem 700 sps tactical in .308.
    question:
    (i have a burris fullfield 6.5x20x50 scope for it)

1. do i really have to buy really expensive scope mount and rings like the badger ord ones or are there some good mid level stuff? if so, what would you recommend?

2. everwhere i read, ppl are saying that the stock is crap, so ill need a new one and i will also have to get it tuned and trued. is this necessary for what im planning on doing with the rifle?

im basically wanting to get the rifle, bipod, rings and mount and be good to go. am i dreaming here or what? haha

any help is much appreciated. thanks

2. Zak Smith

Zak Smith
    Expand Collapse
    3Gunner
    Millennium Member

Burris has some good rings. As long as they are straight and solid, you should be good to go.

The most important thing is that the stock fits you properly and you can get into solid shooting positions with no muscle stress.

3. srice425

srice425
    Expand Collapse

so maybe get the rem 700 sps and the cheeck rest to make it fit better? do they make shims for the pad on the stock?

is there anywhere where i can read up or view a pic/video of how the stock is supposed to fit?

sorry for the newbie style questions.

4. Zak Smith

Zak Smith
    Expand Collapse
    3Gunner
    Millennium Member

Yep.

Yes, you can get a cheek comb "pack".

I'm sure there is something online. The basic idea is that if you are in the natural prone position, there is no tension in your neck, holding it up, or forward, or back, from where it wants to sit, to see through the scope properly.

5. srice425

srice425
    Expand Collapse