close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Reloading ?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by rpgman, Sep 30, 2011.

1. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    Hi,

Starting to look into reloading, but I have a question.

I have all this fired brass, both 9mm and .40 that I have shot and picked up.

Is it ok to polish and clean them up and have them sit around for awhile while I start my reseach into a loading press etc?

I just don't want it to start fading etc?

Greg

2. arodgers

arodgers

Jul 14, 2004
    Fading won't hurt anything as long as they are clean. How are you planning on cleaning and polishing?

3. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    using one of the Dillon tumblers and walnuts shells and some of the Dillon polish.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Geez, that's an expensive tumbler for "thinking about reloading"... Just get a bucket, soak them in really hot, soapy water a good bit. Drain soapy water, and spray out thoroughly to rinse, let air dry.

Brass doesn't have to look like jewelry.

5. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    I believe I stated:

"Starting to look into reloading"

and

"while I start my reseach into a loading press etc?"

there was NO 'thinking about it' ever mentioned.

I'm researching.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards a Dillon Press anyway.
    Greg

6. AltiDude

AltiDude

Jan 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    When you start thinking, you might consider a Midway or Lyman and use the change for a set of dies. Just thinking out loud so take our thoughts or leave them.

7. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence

Thanks, oh yea, I've been thinking that way too...

I wake up decided on a Dillon, and the next day wake up deciding on Lyman or others.

But, you are the experts....

So, what would be a good choice for someone's first PROGRESSIVE Press?

any opinions and I'm sure I will get many different answers.

Greg

8. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    I have brass that has been cleaned and sitting around in ammo cans plastic containers etc. for 35 years. If I ever decide to load them I well just put them back in the tumbler and polish them back up. I like shiny brass.
    Me if I have brass that I know that I’m not going to use for a couple of years. I like to deprime them with a universal deprimer. I clean them with just walnut and dryer sheets. When I’m ready to load that brass, I put them in the other tumbler with corn cob media and some mineral spirits and Nu Finish car polish that is mixed 50/50. If there is any media in the flash hole it is knocked out when the brass is sized.

9. I like my LnL, and I am about to buy a Dillion 1050. You are welcome to come and try mine out if you like.

10. From what I understand a rock cleanning tumbler and a brass tumbler are the same.thing but the rock tumbler is alot cheaper

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Really my point was, a tumbler should be near the bottom in the order of your
    list of things to get", not the first.

but anyway, good luck w/ it.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  12. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    I understand, it's just I wanted something to do while waiting for a press.

Can't hurt, espeically when you have tons and tons of brass just sitting around.

13. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    I would love to come and look at your setup.

14. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    that's the model I want.

15. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    If that's the one you were thinking of... good on you. I bought a 550B because so many said it was a good one to get, that a 650 was "too much" for a newb to grasp. I was reading so many people say "start with a single stage, not a progressive" so that was weighing on me. BTW, I think that's total hogwash. If you *know* you are going to be shooting quite a bit, starting with a progressive is fine.
    (Caveat: I actually used it as a "single stage" at first, only running one case all the way around until I fully understood how everything was working. I probably did a few hundred rounds that way. Even when I started truly running it as progressive, the focus of my attention is that powder drop station. THAT is the station where problems lead to serious issues.)

If I had known then what I know now.... 650. There is one in my very near future. Bonus time in a few months. :supergrin:

16. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    So the question I have is why/what are you waiting for? You appear to already have made your mind up on getting a Dillon. :dunno:

17. Lonestar 48

Lonestar 48 Silver Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Haslet, TX
    I'm in RPG's position...just getting into reloading. I started with a couple of manuals, ABC's and Lymans, and I'm reading through those. Bought a couple of die sets, had a caliper, a scale is on it's way today. I've narrowed down my press choice to the Dillon line, but I keep going back and forth between the 550 and the 650.

Thanks for all the information in this thread, and in the stickies. I'm going to keep reading for awhile, and then make my purchase. My biggest problem is I have no brass or lead, and being in Texas, I'm afraid to sneak into Walmart's parking lot to get my lead like some Italians I've seen.

18. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    nothing really, except time.

19. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    A waste of time, the brass will just start tarnishing again. Leave them in a sealed container of some type & wait until youget going. The point of tumbiling is to clean the brass prior to reloading. You'll just end up doing it twice.
    I run both presses. It really comes down to volumn needed vs ease of operation. IF you don;t shot a lot of one caliber, then a 505 makes a lot of sense: cheaper, easier to setup & change over, simple, simple, simple. The 650, great prodction machine w/ the case feeder. SO if you must have auto indexing (over rated), then the choice is made, if you want a case feeder, then the 650 makes more sense. If you must have a bullet feeder, then the 650 is the only way to go.