close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

reloading nickel plated cases

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by RMTactical, Aug 18, 2012.

1. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    I've heard that nickel plated cases were no good for reloading. Any truth to this? Anything I should be aware of?

2. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    I have loaded them for years, no issues. Some say they don't last as long but I lose more brass than I have actually worn out.

3. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    I reload nickel cases no problem. If you got them, load them.

4. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Mar 14, 2010
    On the move ... again!
    I have a jug full of them right here, been reloading them for years. As stated above "I lose them before they wear out" :crying:

5. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    There is no issue loading them. You might find they will split a little sooner than brass cases.

6. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    They are good for free. They can be reloaded. They split sooner than plain brass, so if you're buying them, buy plain. If you get them for free, they are worth the time to pick them up.

When they split, there is no catastrophic failure. They just get longitudinal cracks in them. You'll see the cracks when you sort through them.

Plain brass will split eventually also. But you get many more firings out of them, thus better value if you're paying for them. Nickel is pretty though and stays looking nice when it's in your carry gun or magazines.

7. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
  8. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Dec 20, 2002
    Minnesota
    I like them for autos where I don't crimp or expand much. Plus they're easier to find on the ground.

9. yellowhand

yellowhand

Feb 1, 2012
    Arizona
    I only buy 357 Sig in nickel, easy to separate from 40 and 9mm, never any issues and I push them hard!

10. Kwesi

Kwesi

Sep 23, 2006
    TX
    Not in my experience. I just purchased 1,000 Starline nickel 10mm. My regular Starline don't last as long. Definitely easier to find.

11. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    They have "issues".

The bad part about nickel cases is that they crack at unexpected times.

They usually crack during the belling operation, so inspecting them before loading doesn't prevent that.

I've had them look fine upon loading into a tubular magazine, only to have them crack as the gun is cycled. This, of course, stops the gun cold.

I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER run them in any kind of magazine loading firearm during a match. Nickel plated brass can, and does, ruin a thousand dollar weekend.

They work great in revolvers and can cause no problems there.

12. Kwesi

Kwesi

Sep 23, 2006
    TX
    Are you referring to Starline specifically? I've never had one crack in the 550.