close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reloading in an apartment

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by jstang, Dec 10, 2009.

1. jstang

jstang

Apr 11, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well to keep this simple I am looking into reloading and the only thing that i feel may prevent me is that i live in an apartment. I live on my own and do not have any roomates. I also have a large closet I would be able to put a table in and work in. Are there any reasons not to do so, and if I can would it be wise to work in an isolated area such as the closet.
    Thanks
    J

2. sarge

sarge Millennium Member

Jan 26, 1999
    90.44.1W 35.48.4N
    I don't see a problem with either.

3. Make sure you tell your super. I'm sure he'll be excited :)

Seriously, don't let the small space be an excuse. I reload on a desk in my office with a handpress. Everything I need fits in a tool box that I keep locked up when I'm not using it. Great skill to learn and very rewarding. Good luck.

4. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    When I was in college I turned my coat closet into a reloading room. Put a lock or dead bolt on it so the manager doesn't go snooping. Also doubles as a safe place to store your guns & ammo. It's a small space but certainly workable.

5. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    Make sure you have good light. If you are working with exposed lead or doing casting make sure you have very good ventilation.

6. pangloss9

pangloss9

Mar 2, 2009
    middle TN
    I can't think of a good reason not too. I wish I had a spare closet somewhere in my house that I could use for that purpose.

7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I made the mistake of thinking my 900 sqft place was too small for a progressive press. Reality is with a little forthought you can easily make it work. I used my kitchen table and C-Clamped the press (attached to a big board) to the table. I then attached the that board to the wall with a removable bolt (expanding wall anchor). The board had the L bracket to attach to the wall. Once the press was C-Clamped to the table and the bolt was attached to the two wall anchors the table was very solid.

8. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    My first "bench" was in a small closet. I put a set of 2x4 rails around 3/4 of the closet and set a heavy board on the rails. Worked fine for two years. Easy to take down, or leave up as needed. Close the door, and it was secure. Easy enough to put a good lock on it if needed.

Welcome to the madness.

9. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    I shall refrain from making any comments on the obvious difference between going into a closet... and coming out of one. :whistling:

Jack

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I don't see a problem. I've heard of some folks using those craftsman portable benches. Obviously you wouldn't be able to put a huge press on it, but would probably work fine w/ a 550 or LCT, or maybe even a Loadmaster.

IGF

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Thats the thing. It won't matter. Brace the base properly to a wall and put whatever you want on it. I doubt even a casefeeder would matter if the base is attached to the wall for additional support. Thats really the key.

12. n2extrm

n2extrm

Feb 24, 2009
    Made alot of ammo on my little bench in a 9X9 room!

[​IMG]

I even had a trimmer and swager on there at one point. I would put the scale on a small desk by my laptop behind me! This could be built in a closet easilly.

13. jstang

jstang

Apr 11, 2009
    New Jersey
    Thanks for all of the replys Im sure this is the first question of many more to come. I move next friday, and I have a table I built out of some scrap wood a while ago I will use as a bench. For some reason when I built it I felt the need to use all of the wood I had so its very sturdy, 4x4's for legs and 2x4's for support. Think I'll go buy a book tomorrow to get started on some reading. Hopefully after christmas and the move I'll have some money left to start.

J

14. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

May 21, 2007
    how much ammunition do you need?

15. Landric

Landric Supervisor?

I started handloading in 1994. I bought a house (finally) in 2008. During all that time between (except the time I lived in an apartment that really was too small for handloading-about 400 square feet), I lived in apartments and I handloaded. Provided you have even a little spare to put your stuff, I don't see any reason not to do it. I wouldn't cast in an apartment, but handloading is no problem.

16. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Doh ?
    When I started reloading (16 yrs old), my bedroom had a walk-in closet, which served as my clothes closet, magazine storage (lots of Road & Track and Gun & Ammo), and reloading room. I reloaded thousands of rounds of pistol and rifle cartridges on a RCBS single stage press.

I've seen some people use a Black and Decker workmate as a folding reloading table - they seem to work pretty well even with a progresive press - like a Dillion 550.

17. Gunnuts10mm

Gunnuts10mm

Nov 14, 2007
    If you like your neighbors, you may want to mind your tumbler running time.

18. jstang

jstang

Apr 11, 2009
    New Jersey
    I usually try to shoot once a week. Right now I've slowed down on the centerfire little and have been sticking to the .22's for cost. I would like to get back to shooting about 500rds .40 and 200rds 5.56 a month.

J

19. mteagle1

mteagle1

Oct 17, 2008
    Great Falls, MT
    I've got a Dillon 550 mounted on a board clamped to the kitchen table. No longer keep records but it's 10K+ 45ACP another 5K+ 9MM and a couple K 5.56.

20. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    My single stage presses can be operated quietly, if not silently. My progressive presses are entirely too noisy for an apartment -- particularly if one is on some floor other than the first.