Reloading equiptment

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ghr1142, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Hello to all,
    I'm interested in getting involved in my own reloading. My question is what would be the top of the line presses be along with the best other things needed? Dies ect. I have to get envolved with all this over priced ammo ! If you can find it . :dunno:
    Any help would be welcome.
    Thank's'
    ghr1142

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Reloading equiptment Reloading Mar 23, 2013
    RELOADING 40 s&w, 357 sig. Equiptment. Reloading Oct 11, 2011
    Is it worth reloading .223 Reloading Yesterday at 6:28 PM
    Reloading for 10mm Reloading Aug 15, 2015
    Ar and reloading stuff Gun Parts & Accessories Aug 13, 2015

3. Just drink some blue cool aide to quench the thirst.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/

4. sellersm

sellersm disciplinare

Have you read the stickies in this forum? They cover the questions about "introduction to reloading" and some equipment choices/options.

And you'll need to give more details: calibers, quantity, budget, etc.

5. There's a great line in the movie "Spy Games" where Robert Redford asks rhetorically:
    "When did Noah build the ark?"
    To which he replied:
    "Before the flood!

The thing is, all good reloading equipment is on backorder - somewhere around 8 weeks, I hear. Then there is the problem with components. Jacketed bullets are very scarce, lead bullets are pretty much available. Powder and primers are nowhere to be had - at anything resembling a decent price, if at all.

You picked a terrible time to start reloading.

You asked for the best, that would be Dillon. The only question is how fast can you afford to go? If you load only one caliber, the 1050 is fast and expensive. Caliber changes are more difficult and also expensive. But it loads at a heck of a rate!

Next down is the Dillon XL650. This is a very fast fully progressive machine and, fully equipped, will set up back right at $1000 (a little more if you want the upgraded handle). It is VERY FAST, only slightly slower than a 1050. Caliber changes are straightforward, particularly if you buy the complete alternate primer mechanism. Highly recommended if you need to make between 800 and 1000 rounds per hour.

Next down is the Dillon RL550B. This is a manually indexed press, capable of 400-500 rounds per hour. It is the workhorse of the reloading game. Caliber changes are easy and economical and everybody should have two; one for small primer and one for large primer.

Besides the basic press with the appropriate outfitting for a given caliber, you need:
    • Scale - digital or beam, Dillon's are good
    • Primer flip tray - Dillon or other
    • Dial, digital or vernier calipers - Dillon or Harbor Freight
    • Case gauge for each caliber (Wilson) - Dillon
    • Check weights (RCBS) - Dillon
    • Die set - Dillon
    • Tumbler and media - Dillon is my choice
    • Media separator - Dillon or other
    Adding calibers will wait for a future discussion.

Richard

6. shotgunred

shotgunred reloading nut

Richard pretty well has it covered.

Except in order to save money reloading you have to spend in order to save. With the 550 setup and some bulk components you will easily go over a grand. Double that for the 650 and even more for the 1050.

It is all a mute point at the moment because no one is selling anything right now. Unless you want to pay a serious premium for someone's used gear.

7. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Both are very cool, could the bullet feeder be set up on a 550?

8. Yes, but its not the ideal press for that. 650 is the right choice for a case feeder and a bullet feeder. Case feeder is to be used before a bullet feed as well.

#9 Colorado4Wheel, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  9. No, not those bullet feeders. GSI only makes them for the 650 and 1050.

You would have to use one of the feeders that takes up a station and seat/crimp on #4 to have a feeder on a 550.

I went with the GSI feeders because they are the only way you can have a powder check die, bullet feed and seat then crimp in two different stations.

10. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

After I thought about it for about an igno-second, the 650 makes much more sense.

But, why the case feeder first? For me, my the fingers on my left hand get "tingly" after a few hundred repetitive motions of bullet seating. If something "goobs up" it is usually at the resize/deprime station.

11. Case feeder first because it eliminates having to take your right hand off the handle to grab and feed a case. A case feeder is where the speed comes from.

Your left hand does nothing that it time critical. All it has to do is get a bullet to the flared case and with the strongmount and bullet tray, this is a fairly short move. You don't gain much in speed by automating the bullet feed.

The real upgrade comes when the Ponsness Warren Auto-Drive is used to operate the press. Now you can diddle around getting primers ready while the PW A-D does all the work.

Richard

12. Both the 650 and 1050 come standard with case feed. What Dillon calls the optional "case feeder", is really just a case collator (case feed, feeder).

That said all of my machines had collated case feeders before collated bullet feeders.