Glock Talk banner

reloading 380 auto

56K views 86 replies 34 participants last post by  njl 
#1 ·
Just did a search on 380 auto and found only one thread in GT...

I have a 380 Auto that I'm reloading for. (Sig Sauer P238).

So far I've reloaded some Rainier 100gr Plated Round Nose and some cast lead 95gr Round Nose.

Powder I've tried is Titegroup and Bullseye.

For the Titegroup I've loaded from 2.6 to 3.1 grains and they all feel about the same.
For the Bullseye I've loaded 2.9 and 3.0 grains (just the variation of the throw, not on purpose) These feel the same as the range of Titegroup loads.

For overall length, I've been at: .935; .957 and .973. All have worked, shot, and passed a drop check in the barrel.

Now my issues:
I think I'd like a FMJ type of bullet... Any recommendations? and especially where to get them?

And for powders? Any recos?

And for Overall Length? any suggestions.

In summary, I'm really after your experience with a FMJ and what the powder and length should be. Any other data is a bonus.

See less See more
#52 ·
I had a load for my G42 that worked well but ran out of powder.
100gr PFN Xtreme 3.1gr W231 OAL .940"
100gr PFN Xtreme 3.2gr No.2 OAL .940"
Now I have Unique,WST,No.5 and Titegroup. I will have to work up a good load for one of these powders.
These guns are picky on the loads. We have two Thunder 380's and a soft load will work in them!
2.9-3gr Titegroup with that bullet/OAL should work.

#54 ·
I had a load for my G42 that worked well but ran out of powder.
100gr PFN Xtreme 3.1gr W231 OAL .940"
100gr PFN Xtreme 3.2gr No.2 OAL .940"
Now I have Unique,WST,No.5 and Titegroup. I will have to work up a good load for one of these powders.
These guns are picky on the loads. We have two Thunder 380's and a soft load will work in them!

I really like AA#5 in 380

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

#57 ·
Bumping this rather than creating a new thread.

I'm sending off GSSF paperwork for a 42 so I'm looking at .380 loads now. I'm looking at SNS casting 95gr coated bullets, and I have Bullseye, WST, Red Dot, and Power Pistol on hand.
I just got to shoot my 42 after glock reworked it w/ updates.
I ran few factory and no issues as before FTF's.

I had Red Dot on hand and my load was 2.5gs, 95g cast boolit and OAL of .975 &.980
No crono,indoor range. No FTF, pretty good groups to fer a stiff trigger.

PLEASE NOTE ! RED DOT does not meter well and if you have never used it before check all your powder throw weights till you can be sure it's consistent .
I believe 2.6 was max( going by memory now) .
My Lee powder measure was not consistent at all, my Dillon SDB measure was pretty good but not 100% trusted as with other powders. Did not try the rcbs measure.
Also just FYI, I find my PACT electronic scale at such low weights can NOT be trusted and certainly not good for trickling light powder loads.
Checking the calibration with heavy weight does not mean its dead on at really light weights.
I had this issue long ago when using titegroup with light loads.

Be safe always and good shooting,

Mike

#58 ·
I've been loading 2.7gr Promo (Red Dot compatible:) with 95gr Bayou bullets.

I bought an XS powder bar, because I wasn't happy with how the Dillon small bar was throwing charges this small.

I don't trust my Lyman digital scale at all, but I know it's worse at really low weights. To get a number I even believe from it, I always combine 5 charges and divide by 5. Then I move the powder over to the Dillon beam scale and see what it really weighs.

#59 ·
I really like AA#5 in 380

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
Your powder and bullet weight please. I'd love to try it as I have some #5 on hand. Usually I use 3.2gr of #2 with 100gr extreme bullet.

#60 ·
I've been loading 2.7gr Promo (Red Dot compatible:) with 95gr Bayou bullets.

I bought an XS powder bar, because I wasn't happy with how the Dillon small bar was throwing charges this small.

I don't trust my Lyman digital scale at all, but I know it's worse at really low weights. To get a number I even believe from it, I always combine 5 charges and divide by 5. Then I move the powder over to the Dillon beam scale and see what it really weighs.

I'm not familiar with promo. Does it look the same as red dot ?
How do the charges drop with the XS powder bar now ?

I'm sorry you have the same scale trouble as I have. I thought it was because my pact is an older model. It's a little slow returning to zero after I weigh a charge. It can fluctuate .2 , if I wait a bit it changes again .1
I went to the extreme of moving it to another location, no air fan or lights around it, on a flat level surface and the same happens.
I wonder if your is made by same company that makes pact ?

Be safe and double check always !

Mike

#61 · (Edited)
America's number one economy-priced 12 gauge target powder. Promo has the same burn speed as Red Dot, but is more dense, thus requiring a smaller bushing to obtain the same charge weight.
I haven't actually seen/used Red Dot, so I don't know if Promo looks like it, but I think I've read that it's basically Red Dot without the dots. I think it's a flattened ball powder. Very bulky. Kind of like a black version of (plain old) Clays, but a little bigger/bulkier.

You're supposed to be able to use Promo / Red Dot interchangeably by weight (not volume). AFAIK, it's only sold in 8lb jugs, and in normal times, I think it typically sold for under $100 per jug. On a bit of a gamble, I bought 2 jugs recently (to spread out the hazmat) because I didn't have anything I was happy with for .380.

I haven't tried it in 9mm yet, but I think if I could only have one pistol powder (to load .380, 9mm, .38spl, .45acp), Promo would work for all of them.

This is my scale:
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/scales-measures/1000-XP.php

It's been a major disappointment. It needs to be recalibrated before each loading session (I've tried using it on battery, AC adapter, leaving it always on). It's not accurate at the low end. It drifts if I leave something on it for long. It's just not trustworthy...which is why I only use it for getting my powder charge in the right ball park, and then use the beam scale to make sure.

I think I'm getting more consistent drops of really small powder charges with the XS bar.

#64 ·
#65 ·
FWIW, I thought I had a good load for my G42 with the Berrys 100 gr and 2.8 gr of Titegroup with .975 oal. After shooting a GSSF indoor match today I have to re-evaluate, multiple jams and double feeds. Going to take it up to 3gr of Titegroup to see how mine runs.
I would shorten the oal slightly as well. I run .960oal.
When I first got my G42 I had same problems as you when using a load which ran perfectly in my Ruger LCP. I upped the powder by .5gr and reduced the oal - never a problem since.

#68 ·
I tried out a new 42 today with the loads on this page for 95 grain bullets:

Blue Dot was a scorcher

Power Pistol was hot but pleasant

Bullseye and Red Dot were pretty tame.

#69 ·
Yep, the G42 likes full power loads, and Federal primers, damn CCI gave me light strikes on multiple occasions. Maybe a 6lb striker spring will help that.

CSB-1 / Universal 3.4gr with 100 gr xtream plated fp @ .975 = excellent

Tite-group 3.3 gr with 90 gr Hornady XTP @ .969" = excellent

#70 ·
Yep, the G42 likes full power loads, and Federal primers, damn CCI gave me light strikes on multiple occasions. Maybe a 6lb striker spring will help that.

I am having a problem with light primer strikes too! I use CCI also. I have some Winchester primers I will try!

#71 ·
Just asking, have you stripped the slide and clean the channel ? I read some place here that
Some have found lube in the slide from factory.
I may have miss read but its worth checking.

My 42 no issues since it came back from getting up dated and I have been using wolf primers fwiw.

Mike

#72 ·
Just asking, have you stripped the slide and clean the channel ? I read some place here that
Some have found lube in the slide from factory.
I may have miss read but its worth checking.

My 42 no issues since it came back from getting up dated and I have been using wolf primers fwiw.

Mike
I cleaned my firing pin channel Sunday (it was wet and dirty)and shot it yesterday and had no light strikes with factory ammo but shot 40 rounds of my ammo and had 2 light strikes.

#73 ·

what lb spring are you using?
is it stock and what lb is stock?:wavey:

#75 ·
Win and GFL brass had lots of light strikes on CCI primers, all winchester primers were great and sticking with FEDERAL primers from now on.

Factory striker spring is 5 lbs, woff springs sells 6 lb.

I have about 700 rounds thru the 42, federal are 100%

Strip and brush / clean all internal slide parts after each range visit, and striker spring channel is clean.

Hornday XTP 90gr with 3.3gr tite-group is excellent again.

#76 ·
I've had trouble with the MagTech 95gr FMJ. Those bullets seem to be undersized. I had a bunch of those bullets and resorted to NO FLARE, just skipped that step.

For my G42, here is my load that has been money: (use at your own risk and check for typos that I might have made)
Bullet: 95 gr Meister LRN (.355) (bought several thousand from Midway USA, have fired at least 1000 of these)
3.0 gr TiteGroup (also use Bullseye but am hoarding it)
CCI Small Pistol Primer #500
Overall Length .945" (yes .945; longer than that will not function in my G42)

This is an accurate load and so fun to shoot it is unbelievable. absolute reliable in my G42.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.