Glock Talk banner

reloading 380 auto

56K views 86 replies 34 participants last post by  njl 
#1 ·
Just did a search on 380 auto and found only one thread in GT...

I have a 380 Auto that I'm reloading for. (Sig Sauer P238).

So far I've reloaded some Rainier 100gr Plated Round Nose and some cast lead 95gr Round Nose.

Powder I've tried is Titegroup and Bullseye.

For the Titegroup I've loaded from 2.6 to 3.1 grains and they all feel about the same.
For the Bullseye I've loaded 2.9 and 3.0 grains (just the variation of the throw, not on purpose) These feel the same as the range of Titegroup loads.

For overall length, I've been at: .935; .957 and .973. All have worked, shot, and passed a drop check in the barrel.

Now my issues:
I think I'd like a FMJ type of bullet... Any recommendations? and especially where to get them?

And for powders? Any recos?

And for Overall Length? any suggestions.

In summary, I'm really after your experience with a FMJ and what the powder and length should be. Any other data is a bonus.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
For my Sig P232, I have over a dozen different combo's of bullets and powders loaded up and ready to test velocity and accuracy. I usually test accuracy first and if it is good, I'll clock them.
The best so far, has been my 100gr Xtreme Plated RNFP (round nose flat point) bullet over 3.4gr Universal. COAL is always .960 for my loads. This length works well with my magazines. It is very accurate out of my gun out to 50', which is the max at my indoor range. I've even used it for shootin' pins!
Also, 3.2gr is very good. I have not yet to clocked either of these rounds.

#8 ·
I use the freakshow load for .380 100g Berrys RN 3.2g HP38 @ .980 OAL with Federal small pistol primers.Nothing but flawless and accurate out of my P3AT.
Every handloader that emails me about loading for the .380 ACP asks for a starting point. I tell them 100gr Berry's RN with 3.2gr HP38/W231 @ .980 OAL and that's all you need to know. :wavey:

#10 · (Edited)
When I loaded for the 380, W231 was my choice for 88gr-102gr bullets, but many powders work. OAL as always, bullet & gun specific.

#11 · (Edited)
The best so far, has been my 100gr Xtreme Plated RNFP (round nose flat point) bullet over 3.4gr Universal. COAL is always .960 for my loads. This length works well with my magazines. It is very accurate out of my gun out to 50', which is the max at my indoor range. I've even used it for shootin' pins!
Also, 3.2gr is very good. I have not yet to clocked either of these rounds.
Are you sure about the accuracy of your scale / powder charges? 3.2gr Universal won't cycle my G42. Even at 3.4gr, I get enough unburned powder to make a mess. The lower the charge weight, the worse that gets.

BTW...that's with the same (Xtreme) bullets, and a slightly shorter OAL.

#12 ·
I only load .380 with 90gn XTP's. We shoot a Bodyguard & P3AT.
3.1gn TightGroup, Good
3.4gn HP-38, Good
3.3gn Bullseye, Sucks
4.5gn Power Pistol, Good
4.1gn CFE Pistol, Great
All, except Bullseye come in between 925 to 975fps depending on round and pistol used. All more accurate than we are. I have worked up true book max and above loads. All are useless in such short barreled pistols. All these loads are just under book / published data max.

#13 · (Edited)
Are you sure about the accuracy of your scale / powder charges? 3.2gr Universal won't cycle my G42. Even at 3.4gr, I get enough unburned powder to make a mess. The lower the charge weight, the worse that gets.

BTW...that's with the same (Xtreme) bullets, and a slightly shorter OAL.
Absolutely!
Even the Hodgdon site lists 3.0 as a starting load and 3.4gr max for for 100gr bullets. I still use this load, almost 3 years later. The Hornady book lists 2.8gr Universal as a starting load for 100gr bullets. The P232 is a tough little bugger when it comes to cycling the slide, and this load does it. You, might want to check your scale's accuracy...
That, or there is something special about the G42.
I do agree with you though, too light a load w/Universal is a bit messy. You finding some orangish colored flakes/balls of partially burnt powder? I used to get that when I loaded some 45 acp for my S&W 25-2. Light target loads, but they gummed up the cylinder and star/extractor. I no longer use Universal for that revolver.

#14 ·
G36_Me,

I have tested a bit of .380 ACP, fun round to reload & shoot. Components can be a bit hard to come by depending on where you live. On-line is a bit spotty as far as inventory now-a-days but keep your eyes open.

As for FMJ bullets - the best bang for your buck is 95g "Magtech", very nice, consistent construction.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...-grain-full-metal-jacket?cm_vc=ProductFinding

95g Remington & Winchester are always good but a bit more money.

Test Gun - Bersa Thunder .380 w/3.5" barrel

Powder/charge/OAL - I have used;
Hodgdon Universal @ 3.9g / OAL - .970"
Accurate Arms #5 @ 4.7g / OAL - .970"
Winchester Autocomp @ 4.2g / OAL - .975"
Winchester 231 @ 3.2g / OAL - .975"
Alliant Bullseye @ 3.2g / OAL - .975

I have used several load manual for my numbers (the more the merrier);
Lee 2nd Edition & revised Edition
Hodgdon Reloadning Annual
Speer #14

Do your homework, start low & work your way up (you know the drill), and have fun.

Good luck and keep us posted with range reports.

#15 ·
As for FMJ bullets - the best bang for your buck is 95g "Magtech", very nice, consistent construction.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...-grain-full-metal-jacket?cm_vc=ProductFinding

95g Remington & Winchester are always good but a bit more money.

Test Gun - Bersa Thunder .380 w/3.5" barrel

Powder/charge/OAL - I have used;
Hodgdon Universal @ 3.9g / OAL - .970"
Do you recall where that data came from, or is that just what you worked up to without anything blowing up? That's 0.4gr above what Hodgdon publishes as max for a 95gr FMJ. OTOH, I've found Hodgdon's data for Universal is sometimes ridiculously conservative.

#16 · (Edited)
Do you recall where that data came from, or is that just what you worked up to without anything blowing up? That's 0.4gr above what Hodgdon publishes as max for a 95gr FMJ. OTOH, I've found Hodgdon's data for Universal is sometimes ridiculously conservative.
Quick loads has that load at around 20K psi with the sami max at 25700psi for 380 auto. So yes I would say that their load data is quite conservative.

I'm saying Kentguy's load is conservative and Hodgdon is really conservative ;)

#17 · (Edited)
Quick loads has that load at around 20K psi with the sami max at 25700psi for 380 auto. So yes I would say that their load data is quite conservative.

I'm saying Kentguy's load is conservative and Hodgdon is really conservative ;)
Multiple sources are saying SAAMI max for .380 is 21500psi.

I'm trying to figure out how far beyond Hodgdon's max for 100gr FMJ might be safe with Xtreme 100gr plated...because 3.4gr Universal Clays just doesn't cut it, and because at their 3.4gr max load, they say the pressure was only 16100psi and at that low pressure, the powder isn't all burning.

What info would you need to run a quick loads calculation on the 100gr bullets? (if you'd be willing)

BTW...25700psi happens to be the max pressure for .32NAA (necked down .380). I don't know if it's safe to assume a .380 pistol can take that pressure.

#18 ·
njl "...Do you recall where that data came from, or is that just what you worked up to without anything blowing up?"
Interesting way of putting your comment...

Speer Reloading Manual #14 - Page 847
95 g TMJ RN
COAL - 0.970"
Speer testing out of a 3.8" barrel (Walther PP)
H.Universal Starting charge - 3.6g @ 854 fps
Max charge - 4.1g @ 979 fps

Knowing Universal powder like I do I started my test charges at 3.9g, 4.0g, 4.1g. My best all around test charge was 3.9g coming in at 945 fps out of my Bersa Thunder 380 w/3.5" barrel.

I always compare my numbers to factory ammo as well;
Federal "Champion" 380 95g fmj = 980 fps
Federal "American Eagle" 380 95g fmj = 960 fps
Remington "UMC" 380 95g fmj = 955 fps
Winchester "White box" 380 95g fmj = 955 fps

My tested velocity numbers were all lower than these factory listed velocity numbers so between factory ammo data & Speer listed data My test results and velocity numbers are well within safety boundaries.

I hope this answers your questions & concerns.

#19 · (Edited)
Multiple sources are saying SAAMI max for .380 is 21500psi.

I'm trying to figure out how far beyond Hodgdon's max for 100gr FMJ might be safe with Xtreme 100gr plated...because 3.4gr Universal Clays just doesn't cut it, and because at their 3.4gr max load, they say the pressure was only 16100psi and at that low pressure, the powder isn't all burning.

What info would you need to run a quick loads calculation on the 100gr bullets? (if you'd be willing)

BTW...25700psi happens to be the max pressure for .32NAA (necked down .380). I don't know if it's safe to assume a .380 pistol can take that pressure.
Okay this is what I found, on the Universal. The Speer #13 manual has the 95 grain bullet that Kentguy listed and the max on it 4.1 grains to 3.6 grains. When I put that load at 95 grains at 4.1 with OAL .980 I get in Quickloads 21500 psi calculated. Which for the SAMI is right at the max. Now Speer Says they don't exceed the sami spec.

Keeping the same load 4.1 grains and jump to the 100 grain at .980 OAL The pressure jumps to 25500 PSI!

Now 100 grain load at 3.8 grains of Universal powder puts the pressure at 21700 PSI.
It is the same OAL for all these values
3.4 grains gives 17130 PSI,
3.5 grains gives 18210 PSI,
3.6 grains gives 19,344 PSI,
3.7 grains gives 20530 PSI.

I definitely would not exceed the 3.8 grains without caution on the 100 grain bullet. I believe this is what you were looking for.

#20 ·
njl "...Do you recall where that data came from, or is that just what you worked up to without anything blowing up?"
Interesting way of putting your comment...

Speer Reloading Manual #14 - Page 847
95 g TMJ RN
COAL - 0.970"
Speer testing out of a 3.8" barrel (Walther PP)
H.Universal Starting charge - 3.6g @ 854 fps
Max charge - 4.1g @ 979 fps
Yeah...I just went upstairs and looked at my Speer #14. This appears to be one of the cases where Hodgdon's data is just stupid conservative. They do the same thing with Universal and 230gr .45acp, where Hodgdon's published max load is 0.1gr above Speer's starting load. Hodgdon's starting load was a mess (unburned powder) and crazy low velocity (I think I got about 600fps).

I always compare my numbers to factory ammo as well;
Federal "Champion" 380 95g fmj = 980 fps
Federal "American Eagle" 380 95g fmj = 960 fps
Remington "UMC" 380 95g fmj = 955 fps
Winchester "White box" 380 95g fmj = 955 fps
I'm not sure comparing velocity to factory ammo really has much meaning. Due to differing burn rates, the powders we use might not be capable of reaching factory velocity without dangerously high pressure...or you might easily exceed factory ammo velocity.

#21 ·
Okay this is what I found, on the Universal. The Speer #13 manual has the 95 grain bullet that Kentguy listed and the max on it 4.1 grains to 3.6 grains. When I put that load at 95 grains at 4.1 with OAL .980 I get in Quickloads 21500 psi calculated. Which for the SAMI is right at the max. Now Speer Says they don't exceed the sami spec.

Keeping the same load 4.1 grains and jump to the 100 grain at .980 OAL The pressure jumps to 25500 PSI!

Now 100 grain load at 3.8 grains of Universal powder puts the pressure at 21700 PSI.
It is the same OAL for all these values
3.4 grains gives 17130 PSI,
3.5 grains gives 18210 PSI,
3.6 grains gives 19,344 PSI,
3.7 grains gives 20530 PSI.

I definitely would not exceed the 3.8 grains without caution on the 100 grain bullet. I believe this is what you were looking for.
These are short flat point bullets, so .980 doesn't put much bullet in the case. I've been loading them to .950 or .935, resulting in a seating depth of 0.149" or 0.164".

I'll probably give 3.6gr a try.

#22 · (Edited)
njl
"I'm not sure comparing velocity to factory ammo really has much meaning. Due to differing burn rates, the powders we use might not be capable of reaching factory velocity without dangerously high pressure...or you might easily exceed factory ammo velocity."

I'll have to disagree with you here.

Factory ammo gives me a base-line of data - real ammo - fired out of my gun, not just numbers on a page. I pick up felt recoil, flash or no flash, feeding, ejection and accuracy.

then compare that to your load manual numbers and/or the numbers given by the powder producer, as well as your own notes on that given powder. Now you are armed with more than just some numbers on a page and then you can make a clearer decision about what kind of round you wish to produce.

I keep detailed notes on how my bullet/powder reacts in every test. After a while you see a pattern with each given powder no matter what the caliber. This is where each powder's burn rate starts to show itself.

Pressure sign should of course ALWAYS be checked at each test charge along the way.

The out come is almost predictable, which is the way it should be.

#23 ·
njl
"I'm not sure comparing velocity to factory ammo really has much meaning. Due to differing burn rates, the powders we use might not be capable of reaching factory velocity without dangerously high pressure...or you might easily exceed factory ammo velocity."

I'll have to disagree with you here.

Factory ammo gives me a base-line of data - real ammo - fired out of my gun, not just numbers on a page. I pick up felt recoil, flash or no flash, feeding, ejection and accuracy.
I really just meant that you can't base the decision whether or not to increase your powder charge based solely on your reloads clocking at a lower velocity than factory.

I guess it would be interesting to get some factory .380. I don't think I've ever shot factory loaded .380...just my own not very successful reloads in my recently acquired G42.

#24 ·
Absolutely!
Even the Hodgdon site lists 3.0 as a starting load and 3.4gr max for for 100gr bullets. I still use this load, almost 3 years later. The Hornady book lists 2.8gr Universal as a starting load for 100gr bullets. The P232 is a tough little bugger when it comes to cycling the slide, and this load does it. You, might want to check your scale's accuracy...
That, or there is something special about the G42.
I do agree with you though, too light a load w/Universal is a bit messy. You finding some orangish colored flakes/balls of partially burnt powder? I used to get that when I loaded some 45 acp for my S&W 25-2. Light target loads, but they gummed up the cylinder and star/extractor. I no longer use Universal for that revolver.
njl,
Just so you know, I wasn't trying to be a smart ***** when I wrote that. It's just that I am confident in my weighs. I don't use the electronic scales that are all the rage these days. I have an older RCBS 5-0-5 scale, and I rezero it after every 50 rounds. So, it has been very reliable for me and I can be sure of what I'm getting into my cases.

Ceapea

#25 ·
I'll throw a different spin on the .380 here . I know not many cast for the .380 but I have a little P238 that likes to be shot a lot LOL So I picked up a Lyman 356242 mould that drops a few grains higher than the listed 90 grains . I load it with 3.4 grains of unique to .980 oal , and while it is not the cleanest round in the world , I can shoot the little buggar as much as I want , any time I want , with decent accuracy at mouse-gun ranges !!

#26 ·
njl,
Just so you know, I wasn't trying to be a smart ***** when I wrote that. It's just that I am confident in my weighs. I don't use the electronic scales that are all the rage these days. I have an older RCBS 5-0-5 scale, and I rezero it after every 50 rounds. So, it has been very reliable for me and I can be sure of what I'm getting into my cases.

Ceapea
I didn't figure you were. Scale's can definitely have issues...but I have/use two. My first scale, a digital Lyman XP1000, which I've nicknamed the "digital estimator", I know is not terribly accurate at the low end and tends to drift...so I have to recalibrate it before each loading session. But as soon as I realized its issues (years ago), I bought a Dillon beam scale. These, AFAIK, generally "just work". I suppose I should buy a set of check weights and see if even my Dillon is off. When I'm adjusting the powder measure, I weigh the combination of 5 charges first on the Lyman, and when I'm in the ball park, I move over to the Dillon scale to "make sure" my charge is correct.

I've used a lot of Universal (it's my main powder for 9mm). In 9mm, with a 124/125gr bullet, Hodgdon's starting load (4.3gr) works just fine for me. They say this is just about 27kCUP. I get complete combustion of the powder here. With a 147gr bullet, I have to load at/above Hodgdon's published max to get consistent results and combustion.

First time I tried loading .45acp, I used 230gr FMJ and Hodgdon's Universal powder/data. They claim 4.5gr will give 703fps and 11.4kCUP. Coincidentally, the same pressure as 3.0gr Universal with a 100gr FMJ in .380. When I did those .45 loads, I also got lots of unburned powder at the starting load, and high 500 - low 600 fps. At least for me, Universal just "doesn't work" at low pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.