Glock Talk banner

Reliable defense rounds for G36?

1K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  SCmasterblaster 
#1 ·
It's time to buy some new carry ammo for my G36. I have been using Remington Golden Sabers (185 gr +p) for my carry ammo.

When I first bought the G36, I had tried several types of ammo and settled on the Golden Sabers because they fed reliably due to the round nose. Cone-shaped / wide mouth hollow points just would not feed reliably for me (one failure to feed every 10 to 20 rounds).

Any suggestions? Obviously if I switch I'll run quite a few through the 36 at the range to make sure that they feed reliably, but just wondering what people here use and recommend.

Thanks you.

#5 ·
Have you had any reliability issues? I have *really* wanted to try Gold Dots because that's what I use in 9mm, but given my G36's history of not liking ammo with more open cavities, I have been wary of switching from something that I know works. The Gold Dots in .45 seem to have a much larger mouth than the Golden Sabers do.

#4 ·
I use Federal 230 gr. Hydro-shock.

#8 ·
I don't have a compact 45 Auto Glock, so I can't opine beyond knowing many really experienced guys struggle trying to load 200gr LSWC's for them. It would not surprise me if they did in fact have issues with very open "flying ashtrays" JHP's.

My favorite 45 Auto SD load are +P 230gr HST's, usually available here at reasonable prices, http://www.sgammo.com/product/feder...hst-230-grain-hp-hollow-point-le-ammo-p45hst1.

Maybe give some GD's and HST's a try, see which works, if any.

#13 ·
I do like the Golden Sabers. My concern is all of the negative comments regarding Remington ammo (not necessarily Golden Sabers specifically) that I'm seeing online (squibs, loose bullets that aren't properly held in the brass, etc). My Golden Sabers are nearly 15 years old now and though I have never had a problem with them, my reading has made me a bit nervous about buying current production.

#17 ·
Most complaints about Rem is their cheap factoy fmj. I like the RGS, esoecially good on a finicky gun. I prefer the 230gr std pressure, non bonded. Gold Dot should do ok, my buddy was running the 230gr sb stuff in his.

#15 ·
Moving this to Caliber Corner

#16 ·
The Golden Sabres do well in every caliber in every test that I have observed except the .380acp. The Golden Sabres in 230 gr are actually used by all the Feds that have 45acp's. The HST is probably the most widely used 45acp hollow point in law enforcement though.

#21 ·
G30 & G36 have diff feed characteristics, so what works on the G30 may be problematic.

#24 ·
Your Golden Sabers are 15 years old??

I keep Golden Sabers in my nightstand G-21 and have always used them (185 and 230-gr) in the .45s I've CCW'd in the past, namely a LW Commander when I carried one. I've CCW'd either a G-19 or 26 in the past few years and usually carry Rem GS 124-gr+P and have never had any feeding issues.

All ammo posted should be GTG in a 36. As long as it feeds reliably and YOU shoot proficiently with it, I wouldn't get too hung up on the different loads, etc. Current mfg Rem, Winchester, Speer, Cor-Bon, Federal etc should be completely sufficient.

#25 ·
After the Lucky Gunner testing, I decided to change out a lot of my defense ammo. For .45 ACP, the top for expansion was the Winchester 230-gr Ranger-T (RA45T) with 1.00" expansion and it stayed within the 12-18" penetration range. A funny thing was that the +P version, RA45TP, had essentially the same results but only 4 fps higher. Check out the ammo test that Lucky Gunner did. There are some surprises with this test.

This is "Law Enforcement" ammo, so availability will depend on your credentials and where you buy it. Retired Military worked for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.