close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Regional cop lingo...

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by SAR, May 13, 2011.

1. SAR

SAR CLM

Apr 17, 2004
    LA LA Land
    Even though police officers share in the brotherhood. They don't all speak the same language. Here in Los Angeles we may use terminology that sounds strange to an officer on the East Coast and vice versa.... It used to always make me cringe when Chief Bratton used to refer to bad guys as "perps" or "perpetrators." Around here, they are all "suspects" until caught, then they are "arrestees." We call our police cars, "shops." We don't have "dispatch" or "dispatchers." We have "Communications" and the personnel who work the floor are called "RTOs," for Radio Telephone Operators.... Our handheld radios are called "ROVERs," for Remote Out of Vehicle Equipment Radio. So what you got out where you work?

2. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    We used.

Suspect
    arrestee
    unit, patrol car or "that POS"
    Dispatch
    dispatcher sometimes also referred to as "That stupid *****"
    Walkies or "That useless POS"

3. When I hear "cruisers," I think of low riders with hydraulics . . .

4. Dragoon44

Apr 30, 2005
    I think Ship, as in Navy.

:rofl::rofl:

5. SAR

SAR CLM

Apr 17, 2004
    LA LA Land
    We almost always call our cars "shops." Sometimes we call them "hoopties." The only time we call them "units" are when we are on the radio and request an additional unit.

6. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Patrol car: Unit
    Arrestee: Custody
    Sergeant: S-unit
    Handheld: Handheld

7. SAR

SAR CLM

Apr 17, 2004
    LA LA Land
    So do you ever get citizens who walk up to you and ask, "did you get the perp?" Acting like they are all cool and stuff because they can talk the talk? :rofl:

8. OldCurlyWolf

OldCurlyWolf

Aug 7, 2010
    suspects: CTC Turds & Turdettes. For general consumption and reports suspects
    Car: Unit
    Portable Radio: W/T
    Arrestee: Transport 1 (or 2 or whatever)

9. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    Cars: Cruisers (yeah yeah, I know) or Squads
    Radios: PREPs
    Perps: Suspects, subjects, jakes or hairballs
    Victims: Vics or "Poor SOBs"
    Sgts: Seven-Ohs
    Lts: Six-Ohs
    Trainers: Tac (fill-in-the-rank)

Oh and one that drives me nuts: 10-4 becomes "14"

10. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    We're real original here.

The car is a patrol car, squad car, squad, or just car.

Bad guys are suspects. Arrested suspects are prisoners (that goes over real well with people who have actually been to prison and don't feel the term suits them until they are committed to a state correctional facility.

The handheld radio is a "portable."

The car computer is an MDT.

11. Dragoon44

Apr 30, 2005

For us it was, "A what?"

:rofl::rofl:

12. SAR

SAR CLM

Apr 17, 2004
    LA LA Land
    A car? It's that conveyance that was basically a chariot with a motor. Oh wait, had they invented the wheel yet when you were working?

13. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

One guy asked if I had arrested the "perp" for "B&E", and then referred to him as a "skell". :upeyes:

14. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    The Sgts. Explorer="The Pig"

Since we have our shifts generally broken up Sun-Wed and Wed-Sat we refer to them as "sides of the week." When shift pick rolls around we say "What side of the week are you going for." Technically they are B and A team but we refer to them as sides. Maybe because traditionally the two is divided by the public into two side of town, eastside and westside.

MAV is our name for our in car cameras. I have no idea what it stands for. At one point I cared but I stopped a long time ago.

The radios on our belt are portables.

When ever we go out on extra checks of some place or do traffic enforcement in a particular area we as Disptach to "Start me a card for traffic/extrachecks/whatever at 123 Main Street." From when dispatchers actually filled out cards for details. Then the officers had to come in and provide info on how they cleared the call.

15. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    My money says that "MAV" is "mobile audio/video."

I know a guy that works for a department that stills calls it a "card", too. Here, it's a "call" and in some parts of the state, it's a "trip."

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  16. SAR

SAR CLM

Apr 17, 2004
    LA LA Land
    Yeah, I remember the cards. Early in my career, we had punchcards. When you were dispatched, they would timestamp it, when you arrived, they would timestamp it. When you cleared, they would timestamp it. I almost forgot about that.

17. The term "weak" is used to describe any cop not worth his salt.

We refer to the other side of the work schedule as "the dark side." It doesn't matter what side of the schedule you are on, the other side is always the dark one.

18. trdvet

trdvet

Oct 2, 2004
    Shop is also used around here but I'm nowhere near CA.

19. MB-G26

MB-G26 Bk2MiscResource Lifetime Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Missing Sharon
    Does Phx and surrounding still use "Buckeye Misdemeanor" ?

20. here in the baltimore area we are the police, our cars are eith er the radio cars or just cars or pos. the portables are the portables the sgts are sarge or boss , bAD guys are just that or a--holes. if you are a good police you are the real police the lts are the LT or just their names a humbl;e is a really petty charge cant think of any more