close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Regarding checkpoints

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by theTactician, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Any lawyers here who can help me out..thanks.

ok, here's the situation..you were being flagged down by a group of cops late at night and you opened up your window, turned off the headlights, turn on your interior lights and asked politely, "what seems to be the problem sir?" Then they would usually say, "checkpoint lang po sir." as they flash a beam of light inside your car checking the flooring and everything. then he says, "Paki-buksan lang po yung glove compartment".

question number 1: Can they legally do this without a search warrant? By search warrant i mean, it has to indicate your name, your vehicle, and the glove compartment where they intend to search.

Some of my friends say that you can refuse but if you've got nothing to hide then you can show it right?

then you opened your glove compartment and yet they found nothing. this cop asked you "Pwede po ba naming silipin ang ilalim ng mga upuan"?

question number 2: Can they legally do this? I have this belief that they can only search areas within your car where only their flashlight beams can reach and that they have no right to touch anything inside the car (e.g. halughugin ang car) unless they have a search warrant right?

If these cops violated your rights, can you legally sue them?

nagtatanong lang po.. :)

2. dyan mo pala tinatago yung boga mo kapag nilabas mo sa bahay ha.;f
    ;e
    don't worry bro, wala pa ako na encounter na check point na ganyan ka higpit kung humalungkat sa loob ng kotse. pa silip-silip lang yang mga yan.
    kahit nga dalhin mo shotgun mo tapus ilagay mo sa ilalim ng rug sa likod ng kotse mo di nga nila makikita yun.;)
    di ko sinabi subukan mo ha.;f

3. Mang Danny

Mang Danny

Jan 11, 2005
    Turn on interior lights, open window and declare "boss may dala ako".
    Be prepared to show your papers (MO, MR, PTC, whatever). Engage them in idle talk.;)

4. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

Nov 25, 2003
    Pwede mo namang astigan and refuse to obey. Malamang "imbitahin" ka naman sa presinto lalong abala inabot mo ;g

5. vega

vega

Sep 29, 2001
    SoCal
    The way I understand the law, and please correct me if I'm wrong, they can only check what they visually see. They cannot ask you to open your glove compartment nor your clutch bag. They can ask you to open your trunks but you have the right not to in a polite way of course. They cannot even ask you to get off your vehicle.

IMO.
    vega

6. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Sep 29, 2003
    Shooting
    Its limited to plainview. Anything beyond that, they ask for your consent which is a mind trick since once you say yes, waived na ang warrant. If you're piece is covered by a PTT, there would certainly be some questions especially if you carried it with a loaded mag. The worse than can happen in this case is that you get reported to the PNP chief for violating one of the PTT's provision. But you won't be criminally charged since your FA is licensed. Remember Ryan?

But the Tactician posed a good question, how do cops get sanctioned when they do a warrantless search? The recent raid on ex NBI agent/handwriting expert Tabayoyong comes to mind. Looks like cops can just get a way with it. ;g

Because even if one pursues a case against them, its difficult to allocate time and money. Sa prosecutor palang, dudugo ka na

7. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

Nov 14, 2001
    Delta Quadrant
    There's a security alert notice in my wife's place of work where there are reports of using checkpoints as a ruse to carjack vehicles. Be careful out there, guys.

I think I recall for a checkpoint to be legitimate, it has to be done in a wel-lit area and with a CHECKPOINT sign indicating the name of the team leader/station commander.

8. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

Nov 25, 2003
    There is a check point along Gapan-Olongapo road near a power station noong simula lang nasa ayos pero ngayon wala ng ilaw andami pang nakaharang. Ningas Cogon.

9. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Aug 11, 2003
    Philippines
    to add, the people manning the checkpoints should always be in uniform.

10. nrmcolt

nrmcolt What?

Sep 26, 2004
    Raccoon City
    Slightly off-topic, pero, I get ticked off every time I hear the police saying "pwede ka ba namin imbitahin sa prisinto?". I mean, kapag sinabi "imbitahin" di ba "invite" yun? ie."Hoy!imbitahin kita sa party ko,ha?" Pag ganun pwede ka tumanggi di ba?ie. "Ay, di pwede may lakad ako,e". Pero dito sa atin kapag tumanggi ka sa "imbitasyon" ng mga pulis, kakaladkarin ka pa rin sumama sa kanila, pero habang kinakaladkad ka maririnig mo pa rin sa kanila na "sumama ka na, iniimbita ka lang naman namin e! sabay poposasan ka nila! ;f

11. toxic

toxic

Jan 15, 2005
    doin' time
    I posted this at Operation bakal..deleted it and found this thread so here it goes with some modification.

I was stopped 2 years ago at San Jose del monte coming from lagro kabibile ko palang ng pistol on my way home..Mang Danny is right basta me papel at magdeclare na may dala ka. Ayos na.

But what if kung intoxicated ka?
    During my last vacation this year lang ..me,my buddies and some relatives came from Batangas via Cavite at around 3 AM, we were stopped by several men in uniform somewhere along Rojas Blvd ..Ok na sana coz i spoke to one of the LEO told him we came from Batangas on our way to Bulacan ..another LEO saw the PRO GUN and PPSA sticker., then ayon we were all asked to get off the car.
    Para lang matapos na at ng makauwe kame, We all came down and was body searched , another LEO going over some stuff in my car..I rushed beside him and asked whats his doing. I admit medyo nakainom ako but im not driving..since its my car ako parin humarap sa Pulis..medyo barumbado magtanong yung isa..i kept my cool at baka samain ako puro mahaba dala so i backed off.....di na ko nakatiis at baka kako taniman ng kung ano yung sasakyan ko, I approached another uniformed LEO showed all my IDs,gun licence and everything told him "Yes i own a couple of guns but i dont transport it kase wala namang laro sa Batangas at the time at expired yung PTT ko"..Buti na lang umulan....pinaalis na kame. The rain saved the day.

Lessons learned : Always designate a driver kung inuman ang lakad.
    Dont take any chances or the so called LNL.
    Get rid off your PRO GUN sticker.
    Thank someone up there ..umuulan sa Pilipinas.

Umulan man o umaraw Ano nga ba talaga legalities ng check point pwede ba sila maghalukay na lang basta basta?..Siguro tanong din natin to kay Punisher 45..

12. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines
    I always get waved off pag ininglish ko ng mabilis ang nasa checkpoint
    I dont carry a gun pero my car is heaviuly tinted kaya parati mainit sa mata
    Works for me

13. ssss8888

ssss8888

Jun 7, 2005
    paanong mainit sa mata? from what ive experienced, when you have dark tint, the less likely they will pull you over. can u guys comment on this?

14. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines

Try driving an L300 w/ dark tinted windows thru a checkpoint with your male friends :) now that is a mainit sa mata

15. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Aug 11, 2003
    Philippines
    Very true, the men in uniform seem to think that this particular model is the kidnapper and drive-by shooter's ultimate in vehicle fashion and most of the checkpoints I've passed have L300's parked by the wayside,being searched or interrogated by these people. Talk about being typecasted ;g Large SUV's with dark tinted windows which are more likely to be carrying contraband are just waived away. Go figure :)

16. Mang Danny

Mang Danny

Jan 11, 2005
    Ang parak sa checkpoint pag naka-barong ka or kurbata "SIR" ang tawag kaagad sa iyo. ;g

17. DoC_ER

DoC_ER

Sep 5, 2005
    E.R.
    Ang parak sa checkpoint pag naka-barong ka or kurbata "SIR" ang tawag kaagad sa iyo.

very true....

tell them job well done=)
    for them to think that you are an officer...

but why mga big suv's like yukon denali,escalade,expedition nagiisip sila ng 2x bago nila harangin...

thats really unfair for people driving small non luxurious vehicle

just my 2 cents

18. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Sep 29, 2003
    Shooting
    puwede din ba taglish like:

parak: good evening ho, saan ang punta nila:
    car: i'm going to my bahay na

parak: puwede ho buksan ang glove compartment?
    car: you're so kaka, do you have a warrant

parak: saan ho sila galing
    car: i just made ikot ikot sa greenbelt

;f

19. ssss8888

ssss8888

Jun 7, 2005
    oh i get it. so its probably not a tint issue, its a car issue hehe

20. maomanila

maomanila

Jul 30, 2005
    philippines
    Hey 9MX, you can also tell the parak:
    I'll pokpok your head, pinch your singit, and make sipa your pwet!

ssss8888:
    Indeed! I drive my BMW, they let me through without hassle. I drive my Sentra, through the same checkpoint, they ask their silly questions.